[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
slayed1994 wrote:
Help?

Do you have a beta key? You can get one by waiting and getting lucky OR you can do the decent thing a support GGG here
"
slayed1994 wrote:
Hi, I downloaded your client for Mac, but it says that it doesn't work because I have the read-only version or something. I tried to download the wineskin application that was in the folder from your client, so I clicked "Choose Setup Executable" and then clicked on PathofExileInstaller.msi

This is the message I get:
ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.

This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file.

Help?

Move it outside of that DMG file (for example to applications folder). DMG is only archive file.
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
stormbard wrote:
I am having an issue with the mouse being off from the buttons. So when I go to click the mouse click on a button is not registering a click unless I am a bit below the button. This is not the case when I run it on windows. Same results with both the built in X11 or installed xQuartz. I am working on getting images. Will upload as soon as I get them.

What resolution are you using in Path of Exile, is it same as your screen's native resolution or lower?

I have noticed that when I use a lower resolution, at startup the game screen does not center properly, so that the actual mouse is different from the one on screen.

Yeah I am using the native screen resolution 1440x900. I will try again and verify just to make sure.
"
stormbard wrote:
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
stormbard wrote:
I am having an issue with the mouse being off from the buttons. So when I go to click the mouse click on a button is not registering a click unless I am a bit below the button. This is not the case when I run it on windows. Same results with both the built in X11 or installed xQuartz. I am working on getting images. Will upload as soon as I get them.

What resolution are you using in Path of Exile, is it same as your screen's native resolution or lower?

I have noticed that when I use a lower resolution, at startup the game screen does not center properly, so that the actual mouse is different from the one on screen.

Yeah I am using the native screen resolution 1440x900. I will try again and verify just to make sure.

If you have problem with off buttons, try to change resolution to another and then back, it should fix the issue.
Here's a question for you fellow Mac gamers. Does Path of Exile (or Wine for that matter) correctly detect the graphics card your computer has?

For me, it doesn't. Path of Exile says in the ingame options that the Adapter is Direct3d HAL and when I check Last Run Wine log there I get an error

Spoiler
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x110000 0 0x32fe08 4
fixme:d3d:init_driver_info Unable to find a driver/device info for vendor_id=0x1002 device_id=0x9583 for driver_model=3
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e80c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset TCI failing on 20000000
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 20000000 file = (null)
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 20000000 file = (null)
err:winediag:shader_generate_glsl_declarations The hardware does not support enough uniform components to run this shader, it may not render correctly.

that says driver/device info can not be found, among other things. Despite this, the game starts fine and runs mostly without problems, although recently the performance has become steadily worse, that is a bit choppy and sluggish.

I have fiddled with the wrapper's registry editor and checked that all the information about my video card is correct, like VRAM, DeviceID, VendorID.

My video card is Ati Radeon HD 2600 Pro (I know it is beyond ancient, there is no need to remind me about that). So I wonder if I could get Wine and Path of Exile to properly identify the card, would that noticeably improve performance?
I did some more experiments with the wrapper and I can see some progress. I changed WIneskin Engine to WS9Wine1.15.12AMDSpeedhack and added some D3d support (d3dx9_ and d3dx10) in Winetricks, then disabled Autodetect GPU info for Direct3d in Wineskin's screen options.

Now Path of Exile identifies my GPU as ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT. For the record, even my Bootcamp XP thinks my GPU is this ATI Mobility Radeon, but that is of course incorrect.

Will post some actual details about gameplay later, but so far I have noticed that some spells and effects seem smoother and faster.
"
krifFinn wrote:
I did some more experiments with the wrapper and I can see some progress. I changed WIneskin Engine to WS9Wine1.15.12AMDSpeedhack and added some D3d support (d3dx9_ and d3dx10) in Winetricks, then disabled Autodetect GPU info for Direct3d in Wineskin's screen options.

Now Path of Exile identifies my GPU as ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT. For the record, even my Bootcamp XP thinks my GPU is this ATI Mobility Radeon, but that is of course incorrect.

Will post some actual details about gameplay later, but so far I have noticed that some spells and effects seem smoother and faster.

Great observation, i will look into this further as soon as my macbook is back from service.

Anyway the real impact should be unnoticable. The only thing this autodetection does, is uses correct ammount of VRAM (default/not detected I think is 256MB)
Yeah, PoE probably gets the correct VRAM amount anyway, but actually, now that the game identifies the GPU differently, the game graphics are rather different from what they were with WS9WIneCX11.2.0. Most notably, the inventory is different in that for example item background colours are far more clearer than they used to be. The look is now more like in Windows environment.

I notice some improvement with Frames per second, now I get some 5-8 more frames per second and a constant 30 FPS, although it drops a bit with more monsters around. Latency stays around 65, no huge spikes as far as I can tell. But the overall difference between WS9Wine1.5.12AMDSpeedHack and WS9WineCX11.2.0 is fairly apparent in my opinion.

I tried 1.5.15AMDSpeedHack and 1.5.14AMDSpeedHack engines too, but they were no good, because the mouse pointer is invisible most of the time. 1.5.13AMDSpeedHack won't let me adjust resolution at all, the game quits immediately.

That being said, there are problems with 1.5.12AMDSpeedHack too. My computer randomly goes to desktop without any warning, with the game still running. The biggest issue however is that I can only play for around 15 minutes and then the game just freezes.

Here's a part of the log when game freezes

Spoiler
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e7ec,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
err:winediag:shader_generate_glsl_declarations The hardware does not support enough uniform components to run this shader, it may not render correctly.
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0x43f7dea7 (thread 0037), starting debugger...
wine client error:37: read: Bad address

And here's what happens when I try to adjust game resolution

Spoiler
error: xp_attach_gl_context returned: 2
X Error of failed request: 0
Major opcode of failed request: 148 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 5742
Current serial number in output stream: 5742
Thanks, this port is great. Zero issues with install and getting into the game.

Windowed 1280x800, everything turned down except I have set Basic Shadow Mapping, VSync enabled.

My specs are OSX 10.8.2, CPU 2.8ghz Xeon, 6GB RAM, GPU GTX 260.
(system profile does not mention Quartz Extreme as being enabled or anything, so I have no idea if it's configured correctly or what)

The FPS is I guess lower than expected: (no action, standing idle)
~22 FPS in Lioneye's Watch
~35 FPS in Terraces
~48 FPS in Cavern of Wrath
~37 FPS in Forest Encampment
~22 FPS in Western Forest

Unfortunately in all zones, FPS really dips and is very noticeable when you attack. This is with melee attacks with fire+lightning damage, attacking while on the run.

Even though the game recognizes my GTX 260, it feels as if maybe it is not using the GPU (do not hear the fan noise). CPU is pegged while idle in town.

There are a few issues, which are the same from the other mac port:
1) fonts are a little off
2) skill effects are a little off (ground slam, phase run, anger)
3) load times into new zones are much higher than expected
(this being on SSD -- transitioning between pre-loaded zones is fine)

Upon further analysis, I decided to disable both vsync and shadows. FPS shot up to 50-60 average, however combat unfortunately still hitches and drops frames constantly (dips down to 10 FPS). I feel that this is directly related to attack/skill effects: http://i.imgur.com/eBtQt.jpg
IGN @dime
Last edited by dime on Oct 24, 2012, 4:15:18 PM
"
krifFinn wrote:

Here's a part of the log when game freezes

Spoiler
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0x43f7dea7 (thread 0037), starting debugger...
wine client error:37: read: Bad address

And here's what happens when I try to adjust game resolution

Spoiler
error: xp_attach_gl_context returned: 2
X Error of failed request: 0
Major opcode of failed request: 148 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 5742
Current serial number in output stream: 5742

First - PoE or wine bug (error in d3dx9_42.dll)
second - error in XQuartz

Yes, the newer wine solves some issues, and makes the game more fluid, but it does not make it more playable. :/ Have to find out what patches is WineCX using (or wait for WineCX12...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info