[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

Hello, i'm into these errors when the game crashes:
https://imgur.com/a/1wpY8GO

this happens after like 3 minutes of gameplay.

Also 10 mins ago the game used to freeze with sound going on.

Got the v8 (v9 didn't even launch)

Could I do anything about this?

Thanks
If this is mainly used to trade and craft, how could I get the game to run in a reasonable format from bootcamp or other means as you suggested earlier?
I couldn't get version 9 to start at all on mojave. Version 8 so far is working fine updating game now.
"
Diabjoe wrote:
Hey thanks for this.

v9 has an issue for me under Mojave, though. The dmg opens fine, but on opening the .app I get:

“Path of Exile.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin.

The only available options are 'Cancel' or 'Move to Bin.'

I think the issue is related to the way it is signed. 'Show Package Contents' works on the .app (ie the contents are viewable so the file does not seem to be corrupt) so I don't think it's a download issue (tried with two separate downloads of v9).

the help info for the error says:

"The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Bin."

I have tried ctrl+clicking it and choosing open but the error still comes up.

Thanks again for your hard work on this. Cheers!

Edited for clarity
]

I also have this issue as well. I had to install v8 instead. Have you found a solution? Thanks in advance!
I was able to start v9 directly without problems (osx mojave, late 2017 mbp). though I got the same errors others here described. when I downloaded v8 (and copied the game data as described in the first post) the game starts but stays black.

how exactly did you get the v8 to run?
man really wish they would have made a Mac version by now. Have they said anything about maybe making one?
Unfortunately, I have to say at this moment, it is not possible to make working port of PoE on OSX, due to several reasons:

However the main reason is OSX system itself
This game relies heavily on streaming data from big file. While this is not problem on Windows or Linux, OSX does not like it, especially when mmap() method is used to accessing this data. OSX implementation of mmap is extremely slow on large files, and over the time, the game file (content.ggpk) has bloated from <5GB during alpha to 18GB+ nowadays. This is also the reason why the game loading times gets slower and lags during gameplay higher with every patch.

For technical people, lets consider this C code

This code tests 1000 mmaps allocation in 4kB, 64kB and 1024kB blocks on file io_benchmark.dat. On Linux, this code runs <1s (actually for 4kb its <100ms). While on OSX it runs for at least 10+seconds regardless of amount of data read. This is reason behind slow loading times and lags ingame. If the data resides on HDD/SDD or directly in memory, it does not matter, the speed remains about same.

To make this game works trough wine on OSX in playable fashion, one of the following has to happen

1) Apple will rewrite mmap implementation in their OSX kernel (unlikely, I opened bug report for this years ago, and it got closed as duplicate, no progress)

2) Wine would need to rewrite their memory management to avoid using mmap. This is also unlikely, because alternate approaches would slower the allocation on Linux, while it would speed it up on OSX, but OSX is not Wine main target

3) GGG would change their data system to instead using content.ggpk to large amount of smaller files (max 100MB, ideally one file per each effect). I guess this is the most likely scenario, if GGG is willing to support PoE on Mac at least passively.

Also, as most of you noticed, newer OSX has implemented checks on created application, and will complain about corrupted app even if it is ok. This can be workaround by giving specific instructions how to install the game from scratch, however until one of the above happens, there is no point in writing such guide.

So how can I play the game on Mac
Not trough wine, that's for sure. However there are alternatives but each one require installation of Windows

Best performing:
Bootcamp - you will end up in dual boot between OSX and Windows. This gives native and full performance, but you need to reboot each time to change OS.

Virtualization - This does not give you full performance, and comes with additional cost as none of the major provider does not give the app for free.
The best performing one are Parallels Desktop and VmWare Fusion. These have full DX9 implementation and nowadays possibly even DX11, there is minor performance loss (~10-20%) compared to bootcamp.
You can also try Oracle VirtualBox which is for free and should have good DX9 support, but it would definitely be the slowest solution (not as slow as trough wine though).
Hi Julus,

Just a quick note to thank you for extraordinary work you did all this years to make PoE playable on Mac, and for the detailed explanations you just gave us here.

Will have to bootcamp or virtualize from now on.

Thanks again and have an amazing 2019

A little help plss
I don't know why, but my game always stop with this form: https://imgur.com/a/BFKnt2D
Sometime is sooner, sometime latter, but always with the "curses spell data". Am i cursed?
I used V9 with Macbook Air 2017, Mojave 10.14.
Thanks.
"
thanhhanh69 wrote:
A little help plss
I don't know why, but my game always stop with this form: https://imgur.com/a/BFKnt2D
Sometime is sooner, sometime latter, but always with the "curses spell data". Am i cursed?
I used V9 with Macbook Air 2017, Mojave 10.14.
Thanks.

How did you miss the post directly above yours?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info