[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
julus wrote:
Hello fellow Mac gamers:

Here I present you the unofficial Path of Exile port for Mac.

System Requirements
Intel HD: OSX 10.7.5+
AMD: OSX 10.8.4+ (older use wrapper 4.0.3)
Nvidia: OSX 10.6.8+
GPU: any with 256MB ram (except intel GMA and ATI Radeon X1600) should be enough
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 6GB

Installation instructions
Download, double click, unpack (for example move the icon to application folder), double click, play

Please read Known issues before downloading, you will save yours and mine time

Recommended version
Download Links v4.0.3

If you encounter Failed resetting Direct3D device objects upon launch set game to fullscreen as described in FAQ below
Path of Exile v.4.0.3 (150MB) - mediafire
Path of Exile v.4.0.3 (150MB) - rapidshare

Try if above does not work for you:
Download Links v4.1.2 - test version
Note: this version has not been tested

This version is NOT compatible with Radeon cards on OSX 10.6 and 10.7

Path Of exile 4.1.2 - mediafire (154MB)

Download Links v4.1.1b

If you encounter Failed resetting Direct3D device objects upon launch set game to fullscreen as described in FAQ below

This wrapper have crossover wine engine, which seems to work with more people
Thanks to franken/Danko from Portingteam for putting engine together

also if this crashes for you try 4.0.3
Path of Exile v.4.1.1b (194MB) - mediafire

older wrappers broken since v 0.11.6

Download Links v4.1.1

Path of Exile v.4.1.1 (152MB) - mediafire
Path of Exile v.4.1.1 (152MB) - rapidshare

Download Links v4.1

Path of Exile v.4.1 (88MB) - mediafire

Old versions

Known Issues

Immidiate crash without any reason - For whatever reason, Razer synapse drivers will crash the game

Failed resetting Direct3D device objects - can be workarounded by manually setting game to fullscreen mode (FAQ)

FPS Drop/Lags - When casting spell, encountering rare mobs, the framerate spikes - 2 causes:
OSX bug which is responsible for longer loading screens and unfortunetely there is no known solution for that.
Game is not preloading some monster effects = this issue is known to GGG, and according to this they are working on solution.
Occurs on windows as well... Blame devs ;)

- distorted fonts

Game may open in small window, solution below.
The launcher may take a long time to allocate resources (up to 30 minutes) on first install
The port inherits the rare bugs which may occure on windows, so there will be crashes and/or graphical glitches.
The port is know not to run on some configuration by default with D3ERR_INVALIDCALL error (possible workaround below in FAQ)
Loading times are longer - this is OSX bug and unfortunetely there is no known solution for that.

4.0+ only - The game is little brighter than in other versions.
4.1+ only - The game is not compatible with AMD cards running on Snow Leopard and Lion

FAQ
Requesting help
How to request a help?

State your mac confugration (OSX version, GPU card, Ram size, and wrapper version)
State your problem. If the game crashes, please also post logs. (logs are disabled in 4.1)

Where can i find the logs?

1) Right click the wrapper->Show contents
2) navigate to Contents / Resources / Logs
3) The LastRunWine.log and LastRunX11.log are often needed when troubleshooting

Port specific issues
What is difference between 3.X and 4.X?

3.X will be using old X11 driver to handle game window. 4.X is using Mac driver (now in experimental stage)

How to move game file from old wrapper

1) Right click on old wrapper->Show contents->navigate to drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile
2) copy/move the content.ggpk file to the other wrapper to same location as above.

How to disable gatekeeper - Mountain Lion only

Temporary workaround: Right click the wrapper -> Open
Permanent workaround: Open system preferences -> Search for gatekeeper-> allow all sources

Game won't start at all (no launcher appeared)

reboot the OS X (the /tmp will get cleaned along with the lock file)
Or if you are advanced user
delete the lockfile from /tmp (the lock file will be named like "xWSxUsersxUsernamexblablaxtadatatada.app" (but make sure there are not any hanged wine processes)

Where to find and how edit production_config.ini?

You can find it in Documents/My Games/Path of Exile directory.
For editing use textedit

How to set Fullscreen mode - manual method

edit production_config.ini (use spotlight (cmd+space) to find it) and change
fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true

also set the resolution to supported one, or game may crash anyway.
resolution_height=900
resolution_width=1440

Game opens in too small window | Game does not want to enter fullscreen

Press CMD+Enter
OR
edit production_config.ini (use spotlight (cmd+space) to find it) and change
fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true
OR
set in production_config.ini
resolution_height=750
resolution_width=1024

Mouse is offseted a bit

On some system, some window resolution will result into offseted mouse. Currently there are three workarounds
1) use fullscreen mode
2) there is at least one window resolution which will be not offseted (possibly 1280x800)
3) set in production_config.ini
resolution_height=750
resolution_width=1024
fullscreen=true

Game will fail to load with D3ERR_INVALIDCALL

This may or may not help.
2) Open wineskin
3) select Advanced->Tools->Winetricks
4) from settings check glsl=enabled and click Run
5) close all Wineskin windows, and try to launch the game

Where can i find the logs?

2) navigate to Contents / Resources / Logs
3) The LastRunWine.log and LastRunX11.log are often needed when troubleshooting

Game Specific
How to show FPS ingame?

press fn+f1

Alt key is not working

CMD is your new Alt key ;)

How to link items?

cmd+ctrl+click

Black screen in Fetid pools/Act2

Turn off postprocessing in ingame option menu
Why are you quoting 1st post?
Hi i've been playing for a while and the game has been running good, despite lag spikes and such. However when i try to raise the graphical settings to high it doesn't allow me. Its locked to medium and i can't change the graphical settings at all. Does anyone have a solution?
"
Slayer128 wrote:
Hi i've been playing for a while and the game has been running good, despite lag spikes and such. However when i try to raise the graphical settings to high it doesn't allow me. Its locked to medium and i can't change the graphical settings at all. Does anyone have a solution?

Ok, heres what you should do: Hold cmd then space which will bring up spotlight. Type production_Config.ini into the search field. You will get a list with results but you should choose the file with that exact name and open it. In there you will find various constants that you can change to modify the way the client behaves.

You should then change the value of texture_quality to a LOWER value where 0 is the highest graphics setting.
im getting this screen...tried with all ports...same error. I download, extract, click, then it update (4gb) then click launch, then get this error.
BookPro 2013 16gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
any clue?
Last edited by mayan88 on Feb 5, 2014, 11:13:37 PM
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
"
Slayer128 wrote:

Ok, heres what you should do: Hold cmd then space which will bring up spotlight. Type production_Config.ini into the search field. You will get a list with results but you should choose the file with that exact name and open it. In there you will find various constants that you can change to modify the way the client behaves.

You should then change the value of texture_quality to a LOWER value where 0 is the highest graphics setting.

I just did what you suggested. It still does not allow me to change the settings to high texture. Is it possible that it has something to do with the wrapper itself? just wondering.
"
mayan88 wrote:
im getting this screen...tried with all ports...same error. I download, extract, click, then it update (4gb) then click launch, then get this error.
BookPro 2013 16gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
any clue?

Could you run that in a terminal so we can get some error output? That screenshot doesnt really tell us anything useful.
HAIL SATAN!
For anyone thinking of installing parallels and windows to run PoE do not bother. It runs basically the same as the WINE wrapper. Constant frame rate spikes never steady. Has anyone done bootcamp? That is my next option but considering I don't have windows on a disc I will be paying for this one.
Hey! i have tried every downloadable links there is, but my mac just gives me fail when open. I got a macbook Air, bought it for some weeks ago, any tips on what i can do, I'm not very good at mac/pc stuff, so if someone can help me by step by step, it would be great :) heard so much good about this game :)

"
Sohn wrote:
For anyone thinking of installing parallels and windows to run PoE do not bother. It runs basically the same as the WINE wrapper. Constant frame rate spikes never steady. Has anyone done bootcamp? That is my next option but considering I don't have windows on a disc I will be paying for this one.

It will run better, but if you want to just test it be sure, just download windows 7 from net (you can from here, it is original unmodified iso) - x64 version, burn on DVD or on usb disc, and launch bootcamp assistant. When installing windows just skip the activation point, you will be able to use windows for 30 days without activation - enough time to test it, and then decide if its worth of money.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info