[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

I have tried 3.8 as you said, however the mouse was offsetted way too much and was impossible to play, let alone even try to test the lag problem i was experiencing before. I followed the steps to fix the offsetting from page 1 (i followed the same instructions on all the other versions i played, and it worked) but it did not work. Also, the cursor disappeared from the screen once i clicked any button, and i was left with an invisible cursor. I will revert back to v4.0.2 and hope for the best for future ports.
"
julus wrote:
"
Kasom wrote:
Hey Julus... Is the mmap problem also relevant when the whole file is in ramdisk or would it be possible to fore the file into memory. 5 GB is not that much :)
already tried that, it does not help, because of way how mmaping on osx works.

So is it related to the virtual memory handling? Did you try what happens if you disable vm swapping? I had my iMac long time without a swap file... a bit "dangerous" but actually I did not run into any problems for years.

Could "mmap" not be totally patched and replaced with code which just fakes mmap and preloads the whole file into memory on capable machines?
"
Kasom wrote:
So is it related to the virtual memory handling? Did you try what happens if you disable vm swapping? I had my iMac long time without a swap file... a bit "dangerous" but actually I did not run into any problems for years.

Yes, I tried it. I didn't try the ramdisk + no swap combination, because that's dangerous as hell (and would only for those who have 16GB of ram). no success

"
Kasom wrote:
Could "mmap" not be totally patched and replaced with code which just fakes mmap and preloads the whole file into memory on capable machines?

mmap is system function at the behaviour is defined in kernel. altrough XNU kernel is open source, I would not dare to modify it, and I don't even know if it is possible to make OSX run on modified kernel (without hacks). and it is bad way anyway

From the wine side, yes, the mmap could be workarounded, but because the memory needs to be allocated in certain memory address, the mmap is needed anyway, I had success with rewriting my test code to use different methods, which brings the numbers on linux level, but implementing it to wine without breaking anything is completely another story.

The whole problem is that OSX mmap process whole file when MAP_PRIVATE is used, instead of chunk. And that is the reason why it is so slow with big files..
"
julus wrote:
... The whole problem is that OSX mmap process whole file when MAP_PRIVATE is used, instead of chunk. And that is the reason why it is so slow with big files ...

But I understand it right that not GGG is using "mmap" (cause they compile for windows obviously) but the functionality to implement this part of the windows virtualisation is using mmap?

So is there anything "simple" which could GGG do to speed this up. And isn't the stuttering problem on windows maybe related with a flaw in the windows implementation for memory mapped files (or whatever they use).

Sorry when I am bugging you :)
"
Kasom wrote:
"
julus wrote:
... The whole problem is that OSX mmap process whole file when MAP_PRIVATE is used, instead of chunk. And that is the reason why it is so slow with big files ...

But I understand it right that not GGG is using "mmap" (cause they compile for windows obviously) but the functionality to implement this part of the windows virtualisation is using mmap?

So is there anything "simple" which could GGG do to speed this up. And isn't the stuttering problem on windows maybe related with a flaw in the windows implementation for memory mapped files (or whatever they use).

Sorry when I am bugging you :)

GGG is probably using windows system function MapViewOfFile (or whatever is called) which does similar thing as mmap. Because of the similarity, the windows function was implemented in wine as mmap (but with corrections to match windows behaviour of course).

simplest thing would be to split content.ggpk into small parts. It would have other benefits as well. (it is easier to redownload 20MB corrupted file rather than 6GB one).
Too many have complained about the lag problem, yet nothing is being mentioned by GGG. :(
IGN: Mr_siao
Usual play time: 8PM - 2AM GMT(+8:00) Singapore, Malaysia Time
In-game: OFFLINE Forum: ONLINE

"
krifFinn wrote:
"
lothar250 wrote:
"
Have a new problem. Was playing just fine and it froze solid. Rebooted the game and the window comes up as a 2"x2" square. Any attempts to make it bigger just expands the pixels and looks horrible. The mouse moves but does not interact with the screen. Not offset, does not react anywhere. Deleted and reinstalled with no improvement. HELP!

Had this a few times, quite annoying.

Don't try resizing the window, but instead try to change the resolution like that. The cursor is a bit off, and the buttons don't have the right writing on them. I had to press the empty button between Quit and Options to get into the options. Then use the resolution dropdown menu to change to a normal resolution. It sometimes goes back to that small window on launch, so it's quite annoying, and I'm sure there's a better solution than this.

Thanks it worked! I tried before but forgot you have to hit apply change before you save. The window was so small I could not see it. Is there a explanation for the different graphics options? I'm too stupid to know what Anitaliasing Quality and post processing mean.
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
lothar250 wrote:
"
Have a new problem. Was playing just fine and it froze solid. Rebooted the game and the window comes up as a 2"x2" square. Any attempts to make it bigger just expands the pixels and looks horrible. The mouse moves but does not interact with the screen. Not offset, does not react anywhere. Deleted and reinstalled with no improvement. HELP!

Had this a few times, quite annoying.

Don't try resizing the window, but instead try to change the resolution like that. The cursor is a bit off, and the buttons don't have the right writing on them. I had to press the empty button between Quit and Options to get into the options. Then use the resolution dropdown menu to change to a normal resolution. It sometimes goes back to that small window on launch, so it's quite annoying, and I'm sure there's a better solution than this.

Thanks it worked! I tried before but forgot you have to hit apply change before you save. The window was so small I could not see it. Is there a explanation for the different graphics options? I'm too stupid to know what Anitaliasing Quality and post processing mean.
Getting the error " The pack file has corruption that can be fixed by running reclamation"

Game was running ok then suddenly got this... any idea what error this is? Thanks
IGN IndianPana Level 69 Ranger
"
Manggahasa wrote:
Getting the error " The pack file has corruption that can be fixed by running reclamation"

Game was running ok then suddenly got this... any idea what error this is? Thanks

Content.ggpk got corrupted (same thing also happens on windows). You need to delete content.ggpk from wrapper and redownload. (or simply delete wrapper, and install again).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info