[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

Hello fellow Mac gamers:

Unfortunately, I have to say at this moment, it is not possible to make working port of PoE on OSX, due to several reasons:

However the main reason is OSX system itself
This game relies heavily on streaming data from big file. While this is not problem on Windows or Linux, OSX does not like it, especially when mmap() method is used to accessing this data. OSX implementation of mmap is extremely slow on large files, and over the time, the game file (content.ggpk) has bloated from <5GB during alpha to 18GB+ nowadays. This is also the reason why the game loading times gets slower and lags during gameplay higher with every patch.

For technical people, lets consider this C code

This code tests 1000 mmaps allocation in 4kB, 64kB and 1024kB blocks on file io_benchmark.dat. On Linux, this code runs <1s (actually for 4kb its <100ms). While on OSX it runs for at least 10+seconds regardless of amount of data read. This is reason behind slow loading times and lags ingame. If the data resides on HDD/SDD or directly in memory, it does not matter, the speed remains about same.

To make this game works trough wine on OSX in playable fashion, one of the following has to happen

1) Apple will rewrite mmap implementation in their OSX kernel (unlikely, I opened bug report for this years ago, and it got closed as duplicate, no progress)

2) Wine would need to rewrite their memory management to avoid using mmap. This is also unlikely, because alternate approaches would slower the allocation on Linux, while it would speed it up on OSX, but OSX is not Wine main target

3) GGG would change their data system to instead using content.ggpk to large amount of smaller files (max 100MB, ideally one file per each effect). I guess this is the most likely scenario, if GGG is willing to support PoE on Mac at least passively.

Also, as most of you noticed, newer OSX has implemented checks on created application, and will complain about corrupted app even if it is ok. This can be workaround by giving specific instructions how to install the game from scratch, however until one of the above happens, there is no point in writing such guide.

So how can I play the game on Mac
Not trough wine, that's for sure. However there are alternatives but each one require installation of Windows

Best performing:
Bootcamp - you will end up in dual boot between OSX and Windows. This gives native and full performance, but you need to reboot each time to change OS.

Virtualization - This does not give you full performance, and comes with additional cost as none of the major provider does not give the app for free.
The best performing one are Parallels Desktop and VmWare Fusion. These have full DX9 implementation and nowadays possibly even DX11, there is minor performance loss (~10-20%) compared to bootcamp.
You can also try Oracle VirtualBox which is for free and should have good DX9 support, but it would definitely be the slowest solution (not as slow as trough wine though).

Old Intro

Here I present you the unofficial Path of Exile for Mac.

Is this port of the game for Mac?
Technically no, this wrapper just provides means to OSX to run native Windows applications. Therefore the game version is exactly same as on Windows with all its bugs features.

System Requirements
The game is not compatible with AMD cards running on Snow Leopard and Lion
OSX 10.12 High Sierra tested
OSX 10.13 Mojave tested
older, who knows :)

Macbook pro late 2011 and newer tested

Installation instructions
Download, double click, unpack (for example move the icon to application folder), double click, play

Please read Known issues before downloading, you will save yours and mine time

Downloads
Download links v9

1. Game will print error first time its launched (WIPfactory blah blah) just keep pressing ok until it crashes, then the game will ask you if it should run in DirectX 9 mode. click yes, enjoy.
2. Once loaded disable multithreading in graphical options in menu

3. At current state, the port is suitable only for crafting and trading
, the normal gameplay will be laggy as hell

Path of Exile v9 (448MB) - mediafire

Older Versions

Download Links (v6)

Note: Launcher graphics is broken, the buttons in launcher are invisible but works.
Path of Exile v6 (161MB) - mediafire

Download Links (v5)

If you encounter Failed resetting Direct3D device objects upon launch set game to fullscreen as described in FAQ below
Note: Ignore the "alpha 1" name, I am not going to reupload it just to fix the naming ;) And yeah, v5 = v5 alpha 1.

May not work on OSX version prior to 10.8

Path of Exile v5 (157MB) - mediafire
Path of Exile v5 (157MB) - mega
Path of Exile v5(157MB) - dropbox

Download Links v5 alpha 2

If you encounter Failed resetting Direct3D device objects upon launch set game to fullscreen as described in FAQ below

Please read before downloading
This is experimental version, please report any issue you encounter except:
Long loading times
Stuttering (fps lag)

Known issues:
Command+tab from game with fullscreen settings might break the game (white screen)

The game should run much faster than v4.x versions
I understand, show me the link

Download Links v4.2.1

Path of Exile v4.2.1 (158MB) - mediafire

Download Links v4.1.2 - test version
Note: this version has not been tested

This version is NOT compatible with Radeon cards on OSX 10.6 and 10.7

Path Of exile 4.1.2 - mediafire (154MB)

Download Links v4.2

This version is NOT compatible with OSX 10.6 and 10.7 at all

Path of Exile v4.2 - mediafire

Known Issues

Immediate crash without any reason - For whatever reason, Razer synapse drivers will crash the game

Failed resetting Direct3D device objects - can be workaround by manually setting game to fullscreen mode (FAQ) (Solved in v6)

FPS Drop/Lags - When casting spell, encountering rare mobs, the frame rate spikes - 2 causes:
OSX bug which is responsible for longer loading screens and unfortunately there is no known solution for that.
Game is not preloading some monster effects = this issue is known to GGG, and according to this they are working on solution. Occurs on windows as well... Blame devs ;) update should be somewhat improved in v5 and after Poe 1.3.1.

Game may open in small window, solution below.
The launcher may take a long time to allocate resources (up to 30 minutes) on first install
The port inherits the rare bugs which may occur on windows, so there will be crashes and/or graphical glitches.
The port is know not to run on some configuration by default with D3ERR_INVALIDCALL error (possible workaround below in FAQ)
Loading times are longer - this is OSX bug and unfortunately there is no known solution for that.

FAQ

Port specific issues
How to move game file from old wrapper

1) Right click on old wrapper->Show contents->navigate to drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile
2) copy/move the content.ggpk file to the other wrapper to same location as above.

How to disable gatekeeper - Mountain Lion and later

Temporary workaround: Right click the wrapper -> Open
Permanent workaround: Open system preferences -> Search for gatekeeper-> allow all sources

Game won't start at all (no launcher appeared)

reboot the OS X (the /tmp will get cleaned along with the lock file)
Or if you are advanced user
delete the lockfile from /tmp (the lock file will be named like "xWSxUsersxUsernamexblablaxtadatatada.app" (but make sure there are not any hanged wine processes)

Where to find and how edit production_config.ini?

You can find it in Documents/My Games/Path of Exile directory.
For editing use textedit

How to set Fullscreen mode - manual method

edit production_config.ini (use spotlight (cmd+space) to find it) and change
fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true

also set the resolution to supported one, or game may crash anyway.
resolution_height=900
resolution_width=1440

Game opens in too small window | Game does not want to enter fullscreen

Press CMD+Enter
OR
edit production_config.ini (use spotlight (cmd+space) to find it) and change
fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true
OR
set in production_config.ini
resolution_height=750
resolution_width=1024

Mouse is offseted a bit

On some system, some window resolution will result into offseted mouse. Currently there are three workarounds
1) use fullscreen mode
2) there is at least one window resolution which will be not offseted (possibly 1280x800)
3) set in production_config.ini
resolution_height=750
resolution_width=1024
fullscreen=false

Game will fail to load with D3ERR_INVALIDCALL

This may or may not help.
1) Right click the wrapper->Show contents
2) Open wineskin
3) select Advanced->Tools->Winetricks
4) from settings check glsl=enabled and click Run
5) close all Wineskin windows, and try to launch the game

Where can i find the logs?

1) Right click the wrapper->Show contents
2) navigate to Contents / Resources / Logs
3) The LastRunWine.log and LastRunX11.log are often needed when troubleshooting

Game Specific
How to show FPS ingame?

press fn+f1

Alt key is not working

CMD is your new Alt key ;)

How to link items?

cmd+ctrl+click

Black screen in Fetid pools/Act2

Turn off postprocessing in ingame option menu

How to set up loot filters?

download and edit whatever loot filter file you want to use then place the file in the following path

/User/YourUserName/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/

This folder should contain a file called 'production_Config.ini' if not then you are looking in the wrong folder

Put your loot filter file in this folder

Restart PoE

Go to the Options Menu and click the UI tab. Scroll all the way to bottom and look for a setting that is talking about available loot filters

Click that tab/menu and select the loot filter file you want to use.

Now you should be all set (may need to log out you char and log back in) - should see a message on login 'loot filter enabled' or something smililar

Last edited by julus on Dec 30, 2018, 8:11:48 AM
Last bumped on Jul 6, 2020, 4:29:08 AM
V9
- Based on wine-staging-vulkan-4.0-rc1 64bit provided by Gcenx from portingteam
- preliminary support for dx11, it will still crash, but if by some miracle the game starts in DX11 and works, let me know
- updated wineskin so there should be less issues on newer macs/osx

V8
- Based on wine-staging-2.21 64bit
- wrapper rebased around new installer
- disabled some winetricks, the wine can handle a few more things natively
- lot of errors should be gone
- still fps dropping like hell when new effect is introduced for first time :(

V7
- Based on Wine-1.7.52 with Staging updates and Crossover Wine 1.4.10 (CX version) with following fixes:
Fixed: Unable to launch on OSX El Capitan
+ Various bugfixes from wine (it may crash less or more often :)

V6
- Based on Wine-1.7.41 with Staging updates with following fixes:
Fixed: Game Fails to launch with Segmentation fault "$(dirname "$0")/Path Of Exile861127983Wine" "$@"" on older OSX prior to 10.8/10.9
Fixed: Game cannot be resized in windows mode
Fixed: Game fails to launch with Failed resetting Direct3D device objects
Fixed: V-Sync should be working now (maybe it worked before, but never noticed it)
+ Various bugfixes from wine (it may crash less or more often :)

OLD Change log

v4.X family
v4.1.2 - 07/06/14
-wineskin updated to 2.60
-wine updated to 1.7.19

v4.1.2 - 01/04/14
-changed wine engine to CX13.0.1

v4.1.1 - 09/25/13
-Fix to make game works after 0.11.6 again
-distorted fonts are back for now

v4.1 - 05/05/13
-Based on vanilla Wine 1.5.29
-Resizing by dragging works (but may create slight offset)
-Launch issues should be gone

v4.0.3 - 09/25/13
-Fix to make game works after 0.11.6 again
-distorted fonts are back for now

v4.0.2 - 02/18/13
-fixed fonts appearance

v4.0.1 - 02/06/13
-Hopefully fixed compatibility with osx 10.6 and 10.7

v4.0 - 02/03/13
-Based on Crossover wine 12.1.0
-Applied patch to prevent 30minute crash (untested)
-Mac window driver

v3.X family

v3.8 - 02/18/13
-fixed fonts appearance
-based on wine 1.5.24

v3.7 - 01/30/13
-Based on wine 1.5.22-23
-Pre-set some configuration to make it work straight away on more configurations
-included some custom patches (mmap pre cache and mmap osx workaround), this should improve performance a little bit (but does not fix stuttering)
* 7 hours without crash on my system

v3.6 - 01/11/13
-Revert to wine 1.4 - now on par with POM port
-fixed launcher appereance

v3.5beta2 - 12/14/12
-Get rid of the mmap cache as it was probably causing memory leaks and crashed the game.

v3.5beta - 12/10/12
-Wine version 1.5.19 - should fix detection of new Nvidia cards and possibly some graphical issues
-Testing - Included mmap cache patch by discomfitor (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980) - on mac it has slightly different result - increase loading times, but slightly decreases stuttering when encountering rates
-Testing - New type of Ati Fix - (http://portingteam.com/topic/8262-wine-atifix-engine/) - should fix graphical glitches on ATI cards - questionable behavior on nvidia - can be disabled via regedit in HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D by setting OverrideVertexShaders to disabled
-Game will now launch using xQuartz - it is more safe method to launch game, and this way it will not occasionally crash OSX

v3.1
-Compatible with OSX 10.8.2 and 10.7.5
Last edited by julus on Dec 15, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
Thank you for this julus.

Any chance this thread could be made a sticky? Moderators, where are you...?
Very easy to install, works like a charm!

Great effort and thank you very much Julus!

Just for the record: even on my Mid 2009 13" MBP with a 256MB Nvidia gfx card works fine.

Last edited by ThaMas on Sep 1, 2012, 10:17:43 AM
"
ThaMas wrote:

Just for the record: even on my Mid 2009 13" MBP with a 256MB Nvidia gfx card works fine.

OT

Perhaps we could have a competition who has the oldest/crummiest Mac that runs Path of Exile.

My entry is a mid 2007 iMac with Intel C2D 2,4GHz, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 HD, WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm and OS X Mountain Lion. Perfectly playable in native resolution 1680x1050. I don't mind turning off graphical settings, the game looks very good for me.

More to the point, I think it's great that GGG decided to make PoE playable in a whole load of different machines. Official Mac support would be awesome and also make that unmentionable D-game by company A/B rather pointless...
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
ThaMas wrote:

OT

Perhaps we could have a competition who has the oldest/crummiest Mac that runs Path of Exile.

My entry is a mid 2007 iMac with Intel C2D 2,4GHz, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 HD, WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm and OS X Mountain Lion. Perfectly playable in native resolution 1680x1050. I don't mind turning off graphical settings, the game looks very good for me.

More to the point, I think it's great that GGG decided to make PoE playable in a whole load of different machines. Official Mac support would be awesome and also make that unmentionable D-game by company A/B rather pointless...

Well, it seems they have official Wine support (at least the forum topic says so), which should be enough to make the game playable via wine port... It is much easier and cheaper for them to do so, and even bigger companies are beginning to use wineskin port engine (for example, CD Projekt Red and The Witcher RPG)
I just downloaded your wrapper and the game loaded just fine but when i try to fast travel to the prison, the game freezes and gives me an error message telling me it has encountered a serious error and needs to close. i tried this several times and it keeps repeating every time i try. this does not happen on V2 of the wrapper. Any solutions?
"
Sparten890 wrote:
I just downloaded your wrapper and the game loaded just fine but when i try to fast travel to the prison, the game freezes and gives me an error message telling me it has encountered a serious error and needs to close. i tried this several times and it keeps repeating every time i try. this does not happen on V2 of the wrapper. Any solutions?

If the v2 wrapper works fine for you, then use it. It is almost impossible to make a wrapper which works for all configurations (but I am trying to do so :).

If you still want to use v3 wrapper, then I suggest to add "-gc 1" option to EXE flags, the crash may disappear but for cost of longer loading times:
1) Right click the wrapper->show contents
2) Run wineskin->Click Advanced
3) enter "-gc 1" without quotes into EXE flags field.

Also the crash should be gone with the 0.9.12 (hopefully)

If anyone interested, this look like fix:
Fixed a client crash that could occur whenever entities are deleted if they still had effects in the world.
As I already posted in old topic, the all reported crashes (according to the failing function address) are caused by D3DXDisassembleEffect function which seems to be highly related to be the the issue.
http://i.imgur.com/hEcC5.png
error
IGN: Joww
"
Jow wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/hEcC5.png
error

Download, unpack, double click, play

You missed the unpack thing :) just move the game outside of dmg file (to applications or Desktop)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info