Remove lvl difference exp penalty

A thought occurred to me while playing the recent descent race. Why is the lvl difference exp penalty in these descent races? The original reason is because of boosting involved with the main game, however I fail to see how this applies to racing at all. The further in the game someone can be, while underleveled, should not be punished.

Thought?
Agree completely. I got hosed by this in one of the recent descent races (no blues for several zones, full clears couldnt keep up with the alvl increases) and wondered why such a penalty existed in descent (or any short term solo races, for that matter). If anything we should be getting more experience for killing monsters several levels above us in solo races, not less.
IGN: KoTao
Because that would cut down on the rng. Suddenly pack rng would have a much lower impact on performance, and we can't have that in rngscent.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
The further in the game someone can be, while underleveled, should not be punished.
The XP penalty is not the currency penalty. The safe margin for the currency penalty is 2 levels, but it never applies upward (full rewards if it's higher) so it's moot anyway. The safe zone for the XP penalty is 3 + (one per 16 full character levels).

As an example, level 17 in Vault of the Guardians gets 100% experience for whites (no penalty), 93% XP for blues, and 88% XP for rares. Since running into a bunch of blues or rares would be pretty lucky anyway (for the most part), there really isn't anything to complain about.

For reference, from the Events forum:
"
Morsexier wrote:
I was cruising along ready to own up desecrated shrine with about 9 minutes to go when suddenly... I am at the end of Hall of Heroes at 20.5. I entered at 18.7 so I am like what in the hell.
So for about 0.3 levels in Hall of Heroes and 0.5 levels in Desecrated Shrine, the guy who finished third place in the last Descent race had an XP penalty on whites, and it was less than a 10% penalty. That's how speedy you have to be for the XP penalty to actually bite you, and how hard.

Considering the quality of the players in this thread, the amount of braindead QQ is truly horrifying.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 1, 2013, 5:34:52 AM
im pretty sure the blue and rare monsters has the same level as the whites. They only drop Higher ILvl items
"
FleepQc wrote:
im pretty sure the blue and rare monsters has the same level as the whites. They only drop Higher ILvl items
Nope, they're really +1/+2 levels.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
FleepQC is correct.

The zone decides the level.
Magic mob drop +1 level
Rare and uniques +2.

The exp of a magic mob is twice, rare quartuple, unique sextuple of a white mob.

If they would be higher level killing magic mobs at the beginning of ledge in short races wouldn't decide the winner because the exp penalty triggers
Hilbert and Fleep are right about blue/rare/unique monsters being the same equivalent level as their white counterparts, that or the xp penalty is based on alvl, not mlvl. Hilberts ledge example (and other similar situations, which occur in pretty much every race) have proven this fairly conclusively.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Considering the quality of the players in this thread, the amount of braindead QQ is truly horrifying.

Constructively criticizing a holdover mechanic from the main leagues thats purely detrimental to descent gameplay is hardly QQ, and im not seeing any braindead here. You reading the same thread as the rest of us?
IGN: KoTao
"
KoTao wrote:
Hilbert and Fleep are right about blue/rare/unique monsters being the same equivalent level as their white counterparts, that or the xp penalty is based on alvl, not mlvl.
I actually doubt this, but until/unless I test it myself, I'm not going to bother arguing it. Real experimental data trumps online research.
"
Hilbert wrote:
FleepQC is correct.

The zone decides the level.
Magic mob drop +1 level
Rare and uniques +2.

The exp of a magic mob is twice, rare quartuple, unique sextuple of a white mob.
Is this info correct? It feels like blues are worth closer to 4x and rares about 10x. And the reward for Uniques seems to vary a lot.
Last edited by Pweres on Aug 2, 2013, 12:19:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info