Why do I play less and less

I don't plan becoming a troll, although a bit of Troll's Blood helps. Especially on life builds. (Not that no-life builds don't have any.)

The responsibility for expectations question seem irrelevant to me tbh. I'll tell you something about myself. When I order a beer, I want them to bring me glass filled up to the mark. When they bring me half empty glass instead I am disappointed. The truth is that the beer glass promises something by itself. It has a number printed next to the mark, too. If the waitress blames my expectations on top of the shitty service, well, I won't come back.
✠ ✠
These are some of the main reasons I've stopped playing for the moment.
Last edited by Nycro on Jul 28, 2013, 12:07:16 PM
Today I tried to suck it up and do some trades since I really really wanted to progress more and buying a gear upgrade seemed like the easiest way to get this feel of progression. I'll share how it went although I'm probably the silly one in this story so be lenient, please.

The story
On my dual strike evading ranger (my favourite character I like most lately) I haven't seen a chest upgrade since I got my destiny leather, which was a twinked piece so I was using it since level 59. I tried to buy a better one earlier but with little patience and no luck. Yes, I still hate trading but I decided to go the masochist's way and see what I can do.

Until today I thought I had decent orb bank because I rarely bought anything (I bought one item - Bloodseeker) and I was fine with 4 link for long long time (so long that I still don't have a 5-link). And I never tried to 'craft' anything, I learned the lesson of crafting long ago so I knew it would just make my orbs go *poof*.

I sat down to trade chat and asked to buy 5-link evasion piece for myself. I did get some replies and many of the people even talked to me after I made my offer. Nobody would start with his idea of price; not sure why people fear that, probably to leave their door to scam open?

Either way one nice enough guy had a longer conversation with me where he called me "lowballer" at first. I thought I made a decent offer and expected him to haggle a bit. Apparently my idea of decent offer for a decent gear piece was not meeting his idea at all, which he eventually told me and explained how much did he value the item in question. I knew the piece he was offering to me wasn't exactly the best but it was very nice so I raised my offer to something that would equal about three quarters of my orb bank. It still wasn't enough, I met about 60% of his opening price at the end, and the guy wasn't willing to lower his price at all so no deal was made.

It wasn't the only attempt to buy the upgrade but the rest was similar without the eye opening aspect, people called me many names, some just ignored me, some laughed a bit.

The point is I can't afford one decent piece of gear with all my 'orb wealth'. So it seems my assumption that the problem I have was mostly the lack of will to trade was missing a part about being unable to buy anything. The options how to progress I mentioned above need to be combined, which means combined lack of fun for me.

Chopping things is unrewarding at this point. I can do few maps a day but the fact it's not leading anywhere takes away a lot of fun. It might seem like it should be ok to "just" kill things for fun but it's not.

Progression is a great part of the fun. After a session, a day or a week you want to feel like you are getting somewhere, not like you "just" killed some monster, spent some maps and spent some orbs.

... Now I should do the MF thing, I suppose. But, ugh, I don't think I wanna do that one, it would also mean rerolling for me. Reroll to a build I don't like. I did that once in Default some time ago and no, I just can't.
I guess I'll keep playing few maps a day and one day Mirror will drop. I bet it will be the last day of Anarchy league, hehe.

----
I'm gonna add this to the OP so people can read it (if anyone cares to read such QQ rant).
✠ ✠
Agree with your sentiments Wiggin, and well written. (I don't trade or race by the way)

This part sums it up nicely for me at least:-

"But I would love to play my favourite character more beside "racing". The game, however, doesn't let me do that in a way that I would enjoy; killing stuff is not rewarding at certain point anymore and the other options suck."

Yes, yes! I didn't highlight it enough because of the blue mood I was in when writing the post, I guess, but I love Descent races and try to play them whenever I can.

As long as some events are happening the regular leagues can work as big chatrooms for people waiting for those events, he he. But I like the regular gameplay as well. I probably sound more depressed or frustrated with the game than I actually am.
✠ ✠
"
wiggin wrote:
Why do I play less and less?

I think it's mostly because the progression stalls too much for me. I reach level 80 or so and I don't find higher level maps, grinding all the same low maps is boring. Drops are terrible, gear upgrades from drops impossible. To overcome these problems I would have to .....

..... take a serious break until they change it.
"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
i left the game to take a break and try some other games. exalted was 5gcp back then and 18chaos rising to 20 .now i am half way poorer but still, i returned .

Poe is a great game .just do not burn yourself in it. i am going to keep a nice relaxed attitude and enjoy as much of the content as i can. ggg has mentioned that maps is not the endgame. I think i might give races and events a try .i want to compliment my gaming time with other things than mindlessly farming one more chaos .
Gus, people crave status. Whether they acknowledge this consciously or not. They want to click the first 3 pages on the ladder and see their name up there in bright lights. Happened to me as well, until the closed beta wipe in November 2012, almost reached the first page.

Now most people can't. No-lifers dominate the top 500. The gear upgrade curve has plateaued and they just can't find better upgrades because their gear is now pretty much in the 98th percentile. Then they come here to QQ about drop rates, currency and crafting, how longer it takes to find an upgrade, blabber blah blah blah. Even if GGG improves on this, it will only shift the curve to a more extreme level with respect to gear, and currency inflation. People don't mention this because its not in their best interests to do so.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
It is easy to call feedback "QQ" and that's what cool fanboys do. But if you read the OP with intention to understand it, you would know you missed the point with your comment.
✠ ✠
"
wiggin wrote:
It is easy to call feedback "QQ" and that's what cool fanboys do. But if you read the OP with intention to understand it, you would know you missed the point with your comment.

I very nearly replied to THR's fail.
Just let him carry on.

Spoiler
He thinks he is doing GGG a favour, doesn't realise his type are a developer's worst enemy
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jul 31, 2013, 2:52:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info