auras and increased buff effect

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
What will the increased effect actually do for these skills? Which part (or even both) of Phase Rune is improved? How do you improve on being invulnerable from Immortal Call, etc.
All numerical values are increased. So both parts of phase run benefit.
Boolean states like invulnerable can't be "increased" so there will be no noticeable difference.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Ah, that isn't very intuitive at all, I thought the buff it gives is what would do the damage when you block. I am disappointed.
Buffs can't do damage.
A buff is just a thing which is put on a player/monster and changes it's stats. A buff can't do something like react to you blocking and dealing damage out, the skill has to do that.
There's simply no other way for it to work.

it's quite confusing. since auras are considered as buff, which values are affected by increased buff effect aren't clear.

i want to learn that effect of increased buff effect on discipline, wrath and clarity. does it affect only radius of the aura?
"All numerical values of buffs will be increased" is not confusing at all.

Discipline: You get 1.3x more base eshield.
Wrath: You get 1.3x the base lightning damage added onto your attacks.
Clarity: You get 1.3x more base mana regen.

EDIT: Side note. If you (the reader) are running 4+ auras, the Inner Force cluster is bar none the best passives for their money in the game. Also affects the armor you get from molten shell, the block you get from tempest shield, the max resists you get from high level purity and from elemental flasks... and all of those are changes to the base amount ("more" instead of "increased").
Last edited by pneuma on Aug 19, 2012, 6:00:48 AM
Why aren't Charges considered buffs?

They are the direct definition of what a buff would be - they sit in the same section as your auras...
IGN Suojata
"
CNKalmah wrote:

They are the direct definition of what a buff would be - they sit in the same section as your auras...
Charges have no stats to increase.
"
CNKalmah wrote:

A "buff" internally contains some modifier to your stats. For instance, a Grace aura could directly buff your mana regen by 8. Those two things are directly linked: "8 additional mana regen per second" -> "Grace"

Charges are nothing but a counter. This is how the game sees endurance:
"Endurance" -> "5". 5 what? All the stat modifiers are calculated as a separate result.

From a functionality point of view it's much less automatic to make inner force apply to charges. How would it do that, just treat #charges as 6.5 for the purpose of all calculations? That's unintuitive.

Second, it'd be overpowered. Charges are already probably the most powerful single mechanic in the game. With 6 endurance I can have 30% additive DR; if I.F. applied that'd be 39%. Too powerful. No reason to get good defensive gear from that point on, a granite with no %IAR could cap your DR against any hit in the game (esp since IF DOES apply to granites). 4 power is 200% crit chance, I.F. would bump that to 260%. It's already quite strong enough I think.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Aug 27, 2012, 11:07:25 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
CNKalmah wrote:

Couldn't the "Increased Buff Effect" nodes work towards increasing bonuses from charges though?

Eg. 1.32%*5% DR / Elemental Resists from endurance charges

Also "Increased buff duration" would be interesting if they affected charges.. I think it would open more build opportunities!
IGN Suojata
Ah thanks..

So this works for all auras?
Determination for example ?

Also, I have grabbed all 3 nodes - which gives me a 30% increase in buff effects.. I'm comparing the skill level molten shell to the wiki and it shows the exact same damage, absorption and additional armor as the corresponding level.. with no Increased effect to be shown..

Is the Increased buff effect only come into play when the skill is actually activated? - or is it bugged?

Also I think determination may be bugged unless my math is out the window..
It currently reads 27% increase in armor
Base armor = 971
Armor + Determination = 1206

1206-971 = 235
235/971 = 0.24 = 24%
Where's the other 3%? I know its not much.. but when you stack it with molten shield and (Hopefully if Increased buff effect works) that 3% churns out quite a large number..

yea.. help please? :D

IGN Suojata
Last edited by CNKalmah on Aug 28, 2012, 4:29:41 AM
"
CNKalmah wrote:
Ah thanks..

So this works for all auras?
Determination for example ?

Also, I have grabbed all 3 nodes - which gives me a 30% increase in buff effects.. I'm comparing the skill level molten shell to the wiki and it shows the exact same damage, absorption and additional armor as the corresponding level.. with no Increased effect to be shown..

Is the Increased buff effect only come into play when the skill is actually activated? - or is it bugged?

Also I think determination may be bugged unless my math is out the window..
It currently reads 27% increase in armor
Base armor = 971
Armor + Determination = 1206

1206-971 = 235
235/971 = 0.24 = 24%
Where's the other 3%? I know its not much.. but when you stack it with molten shield and (Hopefully if Increased buff effect works) that 3% churns out quite a large number..

yea.. help please? :D

The following is copied from what I posted in the Determination thread, in response to someone with a similar concern, about how the word "increased" works.

I realize that outside of the game's terminology, this can be viewed as misleading (as well as every single other "increased" bonus). But once you understand the game's use of "increased" and "more", it makes much more sense.

All "increased" bonuses are added together, and then that total is multiplied by the base value, stacking additively. All "more" bonuses simply multiply the value, and stack multiplicatively.

To give an example, let's say you have 500 base armor from gear.

If you have 40% increased armor, 30% increased armor, and 20% increased armor, no matter what the sources of those, they all add together into 90% increased armor. Then your 190% is multiplied by 500, making it 950 armor total.
(1+(.4+.3+.2)*500=950

If you have 40% more, 30% more, and 20% more armor, then each of them is multiplied seperately by the 500.
1.4*1.3*1.2*500=1092

If you have 40% increased armor, 30% increased armor, and 20% more armor, the increases are all added together for 70%, and then the 70% and the 20% are both multiplied seperately.
(1+(.4+.3))*1.2*500=1020

Sorry for the massive wall of text, but hopefully now that the math is explained, you can understand. The same system holds true for all aspects of PoE, all "increase" bonuses get lumped together into one value before being applied, whereas all "more" bonuses are applied individually (decrease and less are the keywords for the opposites, respectively). As per these calculations, this makes "more" effects significantly stronger.

I understand that this can be misleading for new players, but it is hard to come up with a way to explain the difference between these two effects in a single word. So I am glad that GGG has simply chosen their keyword for each and created a very clear distinction between the two. As for confusing new players, how many people expect to come to a new game with the ability to immediately understand every aspect and keyword of that game? Maybe GGG will include some sort of tutorial for players after open beta, or maybe someone confused about a mechanic can just go look it up in the Mechanics thread.

---------------

So what's happening in relation to your determination aura is that first the aura buff is being applied to you, then the effect of that aura is being multiplied by 1.3 (30%). The new total "increased armor" % from your determination is then added to all other "increased armor %" bonuses you have, then that total value is multiplied by your base armor.
Last edited by Aplier on Aug 28, 2012, 5:14:05 AM
"
CNKalmah wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
CNKalmah wrote:

Couldn't the "Increased Buff Effect" nodes work towards increasing bonuses from charges though?

Eg. 1.32%*5% DR / Elemental Resists from endurance charges

Also "Increased buff duration" would be interesting if they affected charges.. I think it would open more build opportunities!

Charges are already balanced around not being able to receive these increased buff effects, to introduce this change would mean GGG would probably weaken the power of charges by about 30%. Charges also already have their own increased duration passives, as well as one passive for each that gives charges an extra effect.
okay thanks, Strange how It wouldn't just show on the buff itself.

Seems kind of counter-intuitive to the current game setup atm. But as long as it works!
IGN Suojata
Last edited by CNKalmah on Aug 28, 2012, 8:43:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info