Upcoming global chat system changes

To make a short analysis:

EVE Online's trade system is not an "auction house". It's a marketplace. You don't auction for the highest bidder... users simply post what they have in the local trade hubs, and the price they want for it, and how long until their offer expires (if nobody wants it). Of course, if you see that your price is too high and other have undercut you, you might want to lower price in order to have a chance to sell... it's fluid economy, like a real stock exchange.

In case of PoE, the "hubs" would actually be leagues, and instead of asking a price in only one currency, the asked price would be in any(and multiple) currency items (with freedom of choice for the seller), perhaps even skill gems, at a minimum desired level + quality.

In order to accommodate for the multiple currencies, buyers would need to put items in an escrow, and when they agree to buy something from the market, the quantities would be deducted from the escrow.
Sellers however would need to place the item itself in the escrow, so it disappears from their inventory as long as it's in the market.

---
Then, the marketplace would have a search system:
- Categories ( Helmets, Chests, Gloves, Jewelery, Orbs etc... )
- Search by: item level ( range ), exact item type (what kind of helmet), and various attributes which can appear.

Find your item, exchange your own escrow with the other person's escrow, withdraw your items.
That's it !

Sure, it is quite a lot of work to implement, but it would put some kind of order in the total spamy mess that is now the trade channels.

---
P.S. It doesn't even have to be in the game itself, it could be on the website only ! This way coding would be much easier, as the browser already has the necessary code to display various controls, search boxes, buttons, etc.

... and the website is already able to access inventory. Constructing a web-based marketplace would be just another step.
Never give up, never surrender !
Last edited by wavetrex on Jul 17, 2013, 12:13:20 PM
hey maybe just for fun add a pvp chat channel, no one pvps any more these days it sucks having to wait 20 minutes just to fight one lvl 60 person.
IGN: High____Lander | xDominus

40 Arena pvper: Bleed_Pig

Guild: <HERB> THC
"
Neo9112 wrote:
Awsome News - but what about the DESYNC issue? This is the major problem right now.

Another question - Any idea to why my game goes to 5 FPS when a Ranger with Lightning Arrow / chain is in my group? I have an I7 3770K with 32GB of Ram, Play on a SSD, and have a Radeon 7970.

First of all, you should really start you're own thread, this has nothing to do with the topics at hand.

Secondly, you must not have read anything relating to desync because you would know that it is a MUCH bigger issue and will never really be "fixed", it can only be made more tolerable. It takes time to work on something so big and important. They have laid out their plans for this already in depth and will report more when there is something to report.

I don't get why people complain about little updates coming out, it doesn't mean they aren't working on the big things. There are people devoted to working on desync, so something like twitch integration is not "taking time away from the real issues" like many people cry out.

Every game works like this and there are always complainers for each of them saying the same thing, "don't do X, you should be working on Y!"

On topic, this is a good first step to making the chat system better. There's a lot more to do still I think, but this is still good.
|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

"
wavetrex wrote:
Spoiler
To make a short analysis:

EVE Online's trade system is not an "auction house". It's a marketplace. You don't auction for the highest bidder... users simply post what they have in the local trade hubs, and the price they want for it, and how long until their offer expires (if nobody wants it). Of course, if you see that your price is too high and other have undercut you, you might want to lower price in order to have a chance to sell... it's fluid economy, like a real stock exchange.

In case of PoE, the "hubs" would actually be leagues, and instead of asking a price in only one currency, the asked price would be in any(and multiple) currency items (with freedom of choice for the seller), perhaps even skill gems, at a minimum desired level + quality.

In order to accommodate for the multiple currencies, buyers would need to put items in an escrow, and when they agree to buy something from the market, the quantities would be deducted from the escrow.
Sellers however would need to place the item itself in the escrow, so it disappears from their inventory as long as it's in the market.

---
Then, the marketplace would have a search system:
- Categories ( Helmets, Chests, Gloves, Jewelery, Orbs etc... )
- Search by: item level ( range ), exact item type (what kind of helmet), and various attributes which can appear.

Find your item, exchange your own escrow with the other person's escrow, withdraw your items.
That's it !

Sure, it is quite a lot of work to implement, but it would put some kind of order in the total spamy mess that is now the trade channels.

---
P.S. It doesn't even have to be in the game itself, it could be on the website only ! This way coding would be much easier, as the browser already has the necessary code to display various controls, search boxes, buttons, etc.

... and the website is already able to access inventory. Constructing a web-based marketplace would be just another step.

Well there are two problems with that plan:

1. One of the primary problems that AH's offer is the idea of people directly under cutting one another. This quickly devalues rare equipment because the people who do have them undercut one another forcing the price down in hopes of selling it in place of the other guy.

2. The other primary problem that AH's offer is the idea of items slowly accumulating into the market and not being bought. This quickly devalues rare equipment that is not bought because as time goes on, more comes into the market and the more there are, the less rare they are.

You are basically taking an auction house and taking out the idea of bidding. Nothing else changes and that means the problems above are left intact. So it's not a good idea.

Also, Chris himself believes trading should be difficult. This makes it easy. No-go.

"
reboticon wrote:
Spoiler
Wow, this is a most welcome change, I can't wait.

I sort of doubt this will get read since we are already on page 10, but I think a huge, huge improvement (and relatively easy) would be to have around 3 trade channels divided by who is in them. For instance 1) Items over iLevel 50 2) Items under iLevel 50 and 3) Currency/Orb exchange.

Right now, It's pretty much pointless for anyone under level 50 to bother with trade chat unless they want to convert currency, or are dedicated to spending hours in there until someone with the item they want is bored enough to go make a trade for a single alch or a couple jewelers, since it really isn't even worth the time for most high level players. I end up vending all sorts of good lower level items because it just isn't worth the hassle to try and find a low level buyer, and low level buyers are constantly discouraged that there is nothing for sale. Just an idea.

I completely agree with this suggestion. It makes perfectly sense to have different trade channels to sort trading by levels.

Quality of Life. If it isn't done, I will suggest it again when the change in Chat comes.
"
TremorAcePV wrote:

Also, Chris himself believes trading should be difficult. This makes it easy. No-go.

Actually, that is not true. They have been working on browser-based trading for some time now. And that is clearly to make it easier.
Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.
Best news EVER!

I hated having a convo and zoning to people who had no idea what I was talking about.
MonstaMunch: "You're just jelly because you can't afford to mirror my rod. It's 100% reel."

GooberM: "How does that not warrant a good ol' stabby-stabby?"
why should trading be difficult? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard....

Sounds great, glad to hear you guys are finally getting to fix the chat issue. Was rather jarring trying to chat before. Thanks.
so much win!

S L O W E R
Great fix and about time! :P
IGN MENTALMOO

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info