Question about Mirrors and Uniques

"
Chris wrote:
This thread is awesome.

only cuz you are seeing how controversies are created by things the devs say.
This thread delivers.

© Smulch
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
If all uniques are mirrors of long lost originals, then why do they roll different values?
"
beef42 wrote:
If all uniques are mirrors of long lost originals, then why do they roll different values?

The originals had perfect stats but overtime, the duplicates became rusty/tattered due to them not being well maintained. This led to some of the magic to leak out and ended up with lesser versions.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
WAIT WHAT you cant change the stats on uniques?
So i cant even change the colors or # of sockets? or linking?
"
cnk113 wrote:
WAIT WHAT you cant change the stats on uniques?
So i cant even change the colors or # of sockets? or linking?

You can change socket number/color on uniques. You can also change values via blessed orb if it has an implicit value, or with a Divine orb, but be warned that lots of uniques have fixed values for some mods.

And uh, <3 Chris.

Tell us where you're hiding the originals, or the kiwi gets it >:O
Not sure where you got that quote, but seems to me if you mirror a unique, you end up with a more powerful version?
"

If you mirror an Apple, its hard to contain its form.
If you mirror Applesauce, it cant get worse only slightly better.

"
Tell us where you're hiding the originals

The prophecy says that one day, when greed and their houses get too powerfull, the still powerfull orginal uniqs will be strong enough to escape "Russell´s Box".
Resulting in an planetary annihilation of Wreaclast.
Noone expect the GGGods know what is meant by this box.

"
Not sure where you got that quote, but seems to me if you mirror a unique, you end up with a more powerful version?

Its proven wrong, the power decreased over time, leaving you with an "already mirrored uniq", that can only be mirrored once again.
You have to keep in mind, some of the strongest uniqs got mirrored already by up to 7 times during history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Last edited by Lachdanan on Aug 17, 2012, 6:58:58 AM
"
Targuil wrote:

Why can you divine orb uniques then, and roll sockets?

Maybe because they were created with original Mirrors? And the Mirror of Kalandra that can currently be found is actually weaker version that lost some of its power either with time or because it has also been mirrored (can you mirror a mirror?).
"
Bowser93 wrote:
Something caught my eye while reading the unique thread.

"Unique items are more than likely copies of their original counterparts, their mirrored status is simply hidden."

What do you mean original counterparts? Do you mean the base item, or do you mean the very first found unique?
Like for instance, the first person that found Rime Gaze, would he be able to mirror that?
Or did you guys just create the first uniques, mirror them yourselves and then hid the original ones?
Glad people actually do read the thread =D

The idea that the Unique items we find are actually mirrored copies comes from Qarl's post in this thread HERE. I had completely forgotten about it until Programmer mentioned it to me one day.

I did a some forum delving and concluded that it's an awesome idea and helps to explain why Unique items cannot be copied with a Mirror of Kalandra(whether it's true or not). As Whiteboy said, "It's a good way for lore to fill in some holes." However, the description for MoK explicitly states, "Mirrored copies cannot be modified." Obviously, some currency items do work on Unique items and so they couldn't have possibly been created using a Mirror of Kalandra. This information would seem to render the mirrored theory false.

This leads me to believe that Unique items are imbued with a special type of magic/power that renders the MoK useless. How the items got this power remains yet to be seen. I can only speculate that perhaps Unique items are relics from ancient times that were produced in large quantities with technologies now lost to the current inhabitants of Wraeclast/Oriath. Or perhaps that there is indeed only one true original for each of the unique items, and over the years various peoples have made 'copies'. These copies were not produced with MoK's but were fashioned with the very same magic as the original. This is what allows unique items to be modified with currencies, the fact that they are not MoK copies. Or .. perhaps Unique items are in fact mirrored copies of the originals but the immense amount of power/magic contained within the original Unique limits the strength of the MoK, while not completely stifling it. The mirroring process still succeeded but not completely allowing some of the stats to be altered thus the hidden 'mirrored' status. If the items were true, complete mirror copies then they would not be alterable.

I also like the idea that faerwin and lachdanan are suggesting. The items are actually mirrored copies of the originals but some of the Kalandra magic has diminished allowing the items to be altered but still not able to mirrored again. I like this because it upholds the mirror theory. I don't like this because it implies that the items we mirror ourselves will eventually be able to be modified again. Some of the uniques in the game are not very old if you read the flavor texts and apply them to a timeline. To me, this suggests that in 10 years from now, if the game is still active, some of the mirrored items we create at the beginning of open beta will then be modifiable. This of course doesn't make sense considering again the MoK explicitly states, "Mirrored copies cannot be modified."
Last edited by FaceLicker on Aug 17, 2012, 1:55:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info