[Erased]

"
snapple99 wrote:
I'll never trade.. and if I do it'll be via some 3rd party site. So I don't really care what they do to trade chat and I'd prefer they spend their time actually fixing core problems.

Whether you trade or not, the Trade Chat displayed here features more than just stuff strictly for trade. It's easier to use overall, and frankly, the current Chat Window is a problem and inconvenient for many and needs a new, up-to-date look.

P.S. I wouldn't be openly saying you're using third-party sites to do your trading, unless they have nothing to do with real-world money at all and are only used for price checking and ease of trade until GGG makes trading in-game better.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jul 25, 2013, 9:42:15 AM
Awesome ideas for chat interface improvements.

Really hope that GGG take notice and action this.

A few additional comments/suggestions are below. As a preface I would class myself as a veteran games player (from Commodore 64 days to give you an idea) so the below comments are regarding things which were issues even for someone with a lot of gaming experience. Which in short means if you have someone new to this game or games in general consider it an amplified effect.

1. Firstly I recall starting out as a new player that the chat interface was a really big turnoff.

Result: I almost decided to stop playing before I even really started because of the frustration in trying to work out how to do some very basic things like:

Ask for help in a correct channel.

[Note: This wasnt a 'its too hard to work out' more of a 'if you/GGG cant be bothered doing something standard when 80% of games I play now work that way .... well guess what - I CBF learning your niche way of doing things' - to summarise in a nice way :) ) Sorry but its human nature - people generally have short attention spans and get frustrated when things don't work as one would expect.] Namely:

2. COMMON CHAT INTERFACES ACROSS GAMES:

Examples:
>> Whisper someone - yes easy to say 'read the keybinds/instructions etc'. However reality is chat interfaces are now becoming fairly standardised across MMOs, FPS and in many other genres/games.

>> Form a party (if they aren't in the same area you need to know to go to the social screen to determine whose in party) - message here is just make it more obvious or easier (see above - common chat interface operation for most games applies here too)

>> Determine how to whisper in each chat - yes it seems obvious once you know it all (easy to forget); and yes I recognise this is beta but thats also WHY this should be addressed before release

3. HOTKEY SHOW/HIDE: How to get CHAT to show/not show (yes we have a button now - a hotkey to show/hide would be 100% more useable though).

4. CHAT RESIZE option should exist with and font size change especially. Many times the chat interface is concealing other areas like inventory.

For those that say focus on other parts of the game remember that the chat interface in the game is going to be one of the FIRST things a new player encounters. If they get frustrated with that - they wont stick around to actually experience anything else.

Personally I believe that comparatively speaking to code the improvements have a very high value/effort return on the player satisfaction side of things (Ive coded interfaces before). On this point - the other inital impression I got on the # $ % to access channels - immediately thought - these guys are progammers who have written it like its a compiler / *nix interface.

5. STANDARISE Please - just go to the /1 /2 /3 /4 /w /t /p 80-90% most games use. You can always retain the # $ %.

At the end of the day:

6. PLEASE GGG - address the CHAT interface issues. The OP Had a great screenshot of what it could look like - just put a bit more work into it and it will make quality of life so much better along with adoption for new players.

Everyone who plays this want to see POE really succeed even beyond where you are already (2M and counting ?) and these 'polish' items *are* important for adoption.

I will say I like the trade chat idea as for everything else I am not sure about.
"
BlueNight wrote:
I will say I like the trade chat idea as for everything else I am not sure about.

Elaborate on 'everything else,' please, so I can give feedback.

The only things I can think of are the ideas: adding a 'Trade Button' under party member avatars when in town only, and the idea of having the 'Instance Menu' come up each time you click on a town so you can find players easier you're trying to meet up with.

I don't see why there'd be anything wrong with those ideas.

P.S. Thank You for your support on this, at least regarding the Chat Window.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jul 24, 2013, 6:24:49 PM
"
snapple99 wrote:
I'll never trade.. and if I do it'll be via some 3rd party site. So I don't really care what they do to trade chat and I'd prefer they spend their time actually fixing core problems.

You should be banned for using 3rd party sites.

I don't like the tags, it invades my privacy, i don't want anyone to see where i am ingame unless i want them to.
"
"
snapple99 wrote:

I don't like the tags, it invades my privacy, i don't want anyone to see where i am ingame unless i want them to.

They won't exactly know where you are. Just because it says you're in Cruel, Act 1, doesn't mean they're going to know what area you're in. What does it matter? Players cannot journey with or bother you unless you party with them.

The idea behind the feature is to make it easier for people to see what act people are in for trade reasons. Some people claim they're in Act 1, Norm, when really they don't realize they're in Act 1, Merciless or something.

If ever it were a problem, then there can be an option to Show / Hide your Difficulty & Act Tags in the Chat Window.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jul 25, 2013, 2:38:57 AM
"
"
snapple99 wrote:

Gonna point out that PoE goods is a 3rd party site. Should we ban for that?
"
elboyo wrote:
Gonna point out that PoE goods is a 3rd party site. Should we ban for that?

If certain sites have nothing to do with real-world money so as to give players an unfair advantage, then they're legal to use. PoE Goods is a way to price check items at best, however, when it comes to trading players, there is nothing like forum gold or real-world money involved that's used on the PoE Goods site.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If not, PoE Goods is a legit, legal to use site.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jul 25, 2013, 10:06:40 AM
bump
(me)
I hope this happens soon. I would also Like when you join a party that the chat automatically switch to party mode. Cant tell you how many time I chat in global forgetting to switch over first time I try to type in the party. Could just be me though lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info