[1.2.0] Ice Pierce Crit Ranger

Thanks for 1.1 update, Kirielis. I had a Drillneck drop earlier and immediately thought of your ice pierce build. Can't wait to level!
"
Is it worth to take the long path to the witch are for more cold dmg ? Or it is more effcient to pick up physical dmg nods ? Ice Shot converts phy dmg anyway. Is it better to put those points into Heavy and Deadly Draw ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Deadly Draw, absolutely worth it. Heavy not so much. I'd also remove the two small ice damage nodes after the resist one, and take the AoE radius and damage nodes instead. Also suspect you could improve efficiency of pathing, but not entirely certain and anyway you can figure that out for yourself.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Just a little something.. In the Build section where you link to the passive distribution on how "it should look something like this" why not change these two passive points to the ones in the blue circle http://imageshack.com/a/img842/5356/mmvw.jpg. You get the same +20 dex plus some IAS and MS.
Last edited by acustring on Mar 21, 2014, 3:37:54 AM
Ooh, good catch. Fixed that.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
>>>
IGN - TrolldAllDay

Scammers - @IamSuchAFatty - scammed 1 onslaught exalt for 2 hardcore
<<<
So how useful would this new unique quiver be to the general build (assuming no drillneck or uber rare quiver)?

Last edited by JeffSteel on May 2, 2014, 6:24:13 PM
Hi there, what do u think of going for primal spirit route instead of heart of oak. More mana/regen also helps cause i m having mana issues most of the time.
Last edited by Arthelinus on May 5, 2014, 8:17:59 PM
"
JeffSteel wrote:
So how useful would this new unique quiver be to the general build (assuming no drillneck or uber rare quiver)?

I got a near perfect version of this quiver to drop for me the other day and was thinking about this myself. My first though was an Ice Shot build using Windscreams for dual curses and the bonus to elemental damage. But the more I think about it, I am not really sure how this would be better than just a normal DD/Life/Res quiver. Converting 20% of physical damage to cold isn't really going to help Ice Shots damage output - some small gain from giving any WED a little more to work with - but that's it really. And you are giving up normal damage stats for it, so damage wise it probably ends in a wash or most likely behind.

So that brings us to the curse jumping. Conceptually really cool - but in practice I just see it being meh. So - now your curses have a 40% smaller radius. So before, you could have just cursed the whole pack. But now, you miss some because the radius is smaller. And as you kill the first mobs, it moves to the next mobs which would have been cursed anyway without the radius reduction, and then the pack is dead.

So unless the range on the jumping is so large that it actually moves offscreen to the next mob pack, thus saving you from recasting curses in the zone, I don't really see how this is any value...

Just tested in Mud Flats - the range on the curse jumping isn't even half a screen, the mobs have to be pretty close - basically next to each other.

Hoping someone smarter than me comes up with a good use for this quiver - because it is pretty cool.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
"
Asidra wrote:
"
JeffSteel wrote:

I got a near perfect version of this quiver to drop for me the other day and was thinking about this myself. My first though was an Ice Shot build using Windscreams for dual curses and the bonus to elemental damage. But the more I think about it, I am not really sure how this would be better than just a normal DD/Life/Res quiver. Converting 20% of physical damage to cold isn't really going to help Ice Shots damage output - some small gain from giving any WED a little more to work with - but that's it really. And you are giving up normal damage stats for it, so damage wise it probably ends in a wash or most likely behind.

So that brings us to the curse jumping. Conceptually really cool - but in practice I just see it being meh. So - now your curses have a 40% smaller radius. So before, you could have just cursed the whole pack. But now, you miss some because the radius is smaller. And as you kill the first mobs, it moves to the next mobs which would have been cursed anyway without the radius reduction, and then the pack is dead.

So unless the range on the jumping is so large that it actually moves offscreen to the next mob pack, thus saving you from recasting curses in the zone, I don't really see how this is any value...

Just tested in Mud Flats - the range on the curse jumping isn't even half a screen, the mobs have to be pretty close - basically next to each other.

Hoping someone smarter than me comes up with a good use for this quiver - because it is pretty cool.

when the hell did they make that quiver? is it a new league? That 10% chance to freeze is... rediculous. When i started my character ages ago i went with that ice curse and ele prolife plus a shit ton of aoe. with the 5% chance to freeze node next to the shadower start, it was Broken as far as cc goes. I could keep any enemy, and any mob completley frozen permanetly. I would sometimes stand right in the middle of them for the fun of it and see if i would take any damage. If i ever start playing this game again (maybe a bit during the summer), i will definitely want one of these for fun.

take this, plus iceshot totem+gmp+fork+prolif (or pjust pierce and prolif) and the ice curse (i forget the name) and I could see the totem totally perma freezing everything on screen lol.

But i'm just theory-crafting based on my experience. idk if that aoe curse penalty would affect it. I may just log on later, LOL
IGN: Omjak
"THIS WORLD... IS AN ILLUSION EXILE".
Last edited by Omjak_777 on May 5, 2014, 4:34:36 PM
Last patch - all leagues.

Crit Pierce Ice Shooters are already critting (thus freezing) 50% to 60%. So we're talking an additional 10% of the 45% non crits - 4.5% freeze chance added on top of the 55%. Meh.

However I am speaking from an end game perspective. This quiver can be equipped at level 4, in which case I would agree with you completely - that's some nice CC. And even the chill - 20% conversion means more ice damage which means longer chill in addition to the duration given on the quiver.

So - do we wanna peg this as an awesome Ice Shot leveling Quiver?

My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on May 5, 2014, 5:16:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info