[1.2.0] Ice Pierce Crit Ranger

I feel like I'm failing gear checks a lot. And I can't even realistically get a Kaom's. Maybe I'll recolour the Darkscorn and use a regular chest again. Time to drop another couple hundred chromatics.

@Krinny, I go into duelist area, so Thick Skin is just kind of on the way for me. And I don't take Heavy Draw. But I love that people can personalise their builds, and whatever works for them, right?

Would be great to hear your feedback, if you're playing that.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Got a problem with Reflect Mobs both Physical and Elemental Mobs.
I pretty much one-shot myself at any reflect mob. Kinda thinking about getting Vaal Pact to
counter that but that would take forever to get any idea what i could change?
Already switched WED for LL in IS but it doesnt help much.

Gear

Passiv Tree
Life on Hit would, at minimum, allow you to stay alive long enough to notice that you're facing reflect.

In addition, since you're at the point of already having a Glare, the mana leech from Mind Drinker will probably cap your mana leech just from the initial hits of iceshot (deals 60% physical), so that you can remove the mana leech gem. One passive point for one gem slot, it's a fantastic deal IMO. Then you can run both WED/LL and LoH, and get yourself killed more on reflect! =p

And of course, more HP nodes. Always good to have more HP nodes. And gear HP too.
I've got a level 70 ranger that has a very similar build, however everything I do in terms of damage sucks.

I don't have enough attack speed or damage on my bow for anything I do, and thus I have stopped playing it.

Getting a good bow is essential to the build, in terms of raw damage, attack speed, and sockets+links. I've got a 6s 4L bow, which is not enough to get all the links I need.
If I had Lioneye's Glare I would see a substantial jump in dps.

The one thing I noticed with crit multiplier. When a critical occurs, I can deal massive damage to single or multi-targets, but the problem is crit chance. It's nice, but again heavily gear dependent. You would have to use a socket for increased critical chance.

Reflect is not an issue at all. On any build you should have two main dps abilities for elemental and physical. My build uses frenzy and Ice Shot / Lightning Arrow respectively.
If you're still dying to reflect, there is something wrong with your play style. Don't blindly shoot into large mobs and then wonder why you died. Kite a mob, get knowledge of what abilities it has, and go from there. It's very easy to see reflect.

I don't have enough currency to buy anything or craft anything, and I'm not going to waste it on this character.

Overall I would say the build is versatile, but for the lack of support gems and items I would not use this as a main character.
I'm trying to gauge how useful some skill point nodes are, and increase efficiency in the overall build.

----------
The one thing I absolutely dislike is not having some form of a trade hub. I don't play enough to invest the time into selling gear, or have the knowledge to know what gear is good or bad, which is why I'm so dirt broke. I don't earn any currency through playing maps/dungeons, so I'm at a standstill.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
Last edited by Hixxie on Oct 10, 2013, 10:59:07 AM
Doing something wrong mate. With the bow linked in OP, and a 4L Voll's Protector (RRGG links), I was doing fine in 77 map parties at level 79 and I wasn't even cursing most of the time.

Yeah, yeah, I know, waste of good level 77 maps, whatever. Weren't my maps anyhow.
Hi all,

First, sorry for my bad english ;)

I juste wanted to show my build/stuff since I'v been following that guide.

I did a self sufficient mana build who's working very well :

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4EfgW1CC4M8g5IEZYV8BmKGY4c3CF2JJ0k_SaVJ6ktgzB8Mfo2PTZ7OdQ6WD7PTLFRR1M1VUtWLWHiYlptbG17b_JwUnDVcrt293fUeLp9dX8rf8aGzocZiGuMNo19jb-TJ5cGm42btZ2jn3ugn6GkpcunNKfUqn-quKx_sTC1SLvjvebAUcM6xKLKqctBzkjTftUA1orcFd7l35jh2-OE51TndO2D8-r5Vvlj_Kv-uv7I

With :

I'm doing lot of damages but keep dying too much (270 deaths, lvl 71) on maps (68 - 70).

Did I miss something?

Any advice?

Thx!
Ya, you're missing HP on all gear pieces except helm, that's a major problem there.
Hello Kirielis, thanks for your awesome build guide. I have rolled a Ranger a few days ago and specced him into Ice Shot to give this gem some love but I didn't knew this build was actually tested before by others. I am glad to see it.

I will post my build/items/comments when the build if finalized, I am currently rush-leveling my Ranger to 66 before release so I can equip all the goodies I have collected for her.

About your guide, I have a question for you.

Does the passive "Freeze" work with IS? The "Freeze" passive is located on the Shadow area of the tree and it grants +8% Cold Damage and +5% Chance to freeze in case you miss it. IMO it greatly boosts both your ability to stay alive and the damage you can dish out. If it does work with Ice Shot is there any particular reason you didn't pick it up in your build?
Works with IS. Numbers too small to matter IMO.

Oh yeah, I'm selling the bow linked in the OP.
I'm around level 40 right now and having a lot of mana trouble. I have a mana leech and loh, when the respecs come do you think it's best to just go Blood magic?

this is my first character thus far so I am lacking in gear and eager for guidance... I am using frenzy for single target.

I may just need to remove the pierce that's currently linked to my IS for the time being to save on mana. also I admittedly have sort of thrown my last 10ish points around because I'm planning to remap it out when the game launches. But still it's very difficult to keep up mana to sustain DPS.

thanks. do love this build, it's the most fun I've had with the game (not sure why I was reluctant to play ranged, I find it far more fun than melee as it turns out)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info