The American dream

"
floredon wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
I had a history professor in the 90s that kept making the analogy between the fall of the Roman Empire and current American history. He had us read Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and kept making analogies to current events. Needless to say that over the past 15 years more analogies to the fall of the Roman Empire have accumulated.

Yeah. "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it" kinda deal.

Interestingly enough, even though the Cicero "quote" in that Cheezburger image is actually misattributed, it does reflect the realities of the time in Rome (and, earlier, in Greece), as well as in the modern US.

More's the pity. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
floredon wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
I had a history professor in the 90s that kept making the analogy between the fall of the Roman Empire and current American history. He had us read Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and kept making analogies to current events. Needless to say that over the past 15 years more analogies to the fall of the Roman Empire have accumulated.

Yeah. "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it" kinda deal.

Interestingly enough, even though the Cicero "quote" in that Cheezburger image is actually misattributed, it does reflect the realities of the time in Rome (and, earlier, in Greece), as well as in the modern US.

More's the pity. ='[.]'=

...and if you believe in chaos theory?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l6FT-CejS6U/UCP0pkxOIeI/AAAAAAAAHSs/PSTjnPU_1iE/s1600/angry-old-man-meme-trolling.jpg
^More in human nature. =-[.]-=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
AlphaMetric wrote:

mounting prices in education and record high debts by students finishing school doesn't leave much for a happy and prosperous life if your always stressed about your debts.... and now they want to double student loans interest on new applicant...

Of course there is always the possibility of working your way through college. The harder you work, the more potential you have for earning scholarships (there is a scholarship for doing just about anything).

I personally worked my ass off through highschool playing football, lifting weights every day, running, working on technique, studying, working at the grocery store, earned a partial academic scholarship, and had to take a student loan for two years before I earned a scholarship from starting on the football team at college.

I knew I did not want to lay bricks for a living, my grandfather did that his whole life, my father works construction. I know what real hard work is from them, their work ethic, which drove me to work hard early, so I did not have to, based on their advice, follow the same career path. And now I work in an office, in the air conditioning, with a computer doing most of my heavy lifting :D

Hey...is this thing on?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info