The American dream

"
AlphaMetric wrote:

mounting prices in education and record high debts by students finishing school doesn't leave much for a happy and prosperous life if your always stressed about your debts.... and now they want to double student loans interest on new applicant...

If you're going into medicine, law, etc - something that requires a degree to practice - go to college. Otherwise, it's overrated as hell.
"
AlphaMetric wrote:

mounting prices in education and record high debts by students finishing school doesn't leave much for a happy and prosperous life if your always stressed about your debts.... and now they want to double student loans interest on new applicant...

I think you're putting too much wieght into that degree. Like the poster above states, for most people it's a waste & ends up just becoming a financial burden. Make your own way.
BLAMT!
Every single great genius that ever existed skipped school, became drop outs or opened their own empires. School is not required to make money, in fact the majority of current billionaires inherited money or dropped out of college. This is a fact of life...
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
solwitch wrote:
Every single great genius that ever existed skipped school, became drop outs or opened their own empires.

Generalizations are bad for society.

Heres a brief list of people that went far in school:

Stephen Hawking
Charles Darwin
Sigmund Freud
Jimi Page

That being said I do agree that higher education is not a requirement for success.
Last edited by TheKleen on Jul 7, 2013, 4:15:36 AM
Education <--> Walking your own path
Capitalism <--> Communism

None of them work by themselves, you must embrace both.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
"
TheKleen wrote:
"
solwitch wrote:
Every single great genius that ever existed skipped school, became drop outs or opened their own empires.

Stephen Hawking
Charles Darwin
Sigmund Freud
Jimi Page

That being said I do agree that higher education is not a requirement for success.

Very brief, but effective. I'll add off the top of my head Tolkien, Nietzsche and Joyce, all of whom must be considered great geniuses.

And obviously higher education is only one path, and it's not even the 'right' path for many. But dismissing it as a legitimate path to potential genius is categorically stupid.

By the way, there's a reason we can check people's post history. Something to keep in mind before taking certain folks and their utterly unsupported hyperbole seriously in the future.

If you really want to go there... No... you do not have take me seriously I could care less. Please before using words like hyperbole look it up. Nothing worse than someone trying to sound smart. These scientist, psychologist's and philosophers you mentioned especially Tolkien did not care about money so why mention them. If people are going to quote me do not mimic the media and create sensationalism by twisting my context to fit your unorthodox view that has nothing to do with the subject matter of my post. Reading comprehension may not be your niche.

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jul 7, 2013, 1:31:41 PM
"
TheKleen wrote:
"
solwitch wrote:

Stephen Hawking
Charles Darwin
Sigmund Freud
Jimi Page

These geniuses (if you consider some of them that, to each their own) have nothing to do with thought I represented. Geniuses + Money... Not Geniuses + Academia

Last edited by solwitch on Jul 7, 2013, 1:41:27 PM
"
solwitch wrote:
"
TheKleen wrote:
"
solwitch wrote:

Stephen Hawking
Charles Darwin
Sigmund Freud
Jimi Page

These geniuses (if you consider some of them that, to each their own) have nothing to do with thought I represented. Geniuses + Money... Not Geniuses + Academia

I was simply responding to the notion that "every single great genius" skipped school. If you consider rich = genius, maybe reconsider some of the rich people in America today.
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
I had a history professor in the 90s that kept making the analogy between the fall of the Roman Empire and current American history. He had us read Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and kept making analogies to current events. Needless to say that over the past 15 years more analogies to the fall of the Roman Empire have accumulated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info