PATH OF EXILE ON PS3/PS4

Lol @ these people saying that the game would have to be softened to be ported into the PS3/4 when the Dark Soul's games were developed (and been succesful) for consoles.
They may think that gearchecks and random 1-hit-KO crits mean difficulty. HA!

However, this game, even if GGG had the resources to port it, should not be ported:

1) The controls don't fit into a controller. It could be worked out, but would be a bit strange button layout. And notably less confortable.
Also, the game is designed around mouse. Sure, consoles have mouse+keyboards since earlier than PS1, but they are very rare and not a thing that could be assumed.

2) The bureaucratic processes of getting your game patched on consoles. The patching process would have to be changed to a more traditional "huge patch couple times a year" approach. Not a good thing.

3) Target audience probably not big on consoles. I mean, the game is aimed directly at D2 fans. How many of them have left PC for a console?
the first diablo made it onto console and it was awesome. playing 2 - 4 player in the loungeroom is soooo fun. so a million times yes.
"
Faerindel wrote:
Lol @ these people saying that the game would have to be softened to be ported into the PS3/4 when the Dark Soul's games were developed (and been succesful) for consoles.

However, this game, even if GGG had the resources to port it, should not be ported:

1) The controls don't fit into a controller. It could be worked out, but would be a bit strange button layout. And notably less confortable.
Also, the game is designed around mouse. Sure, consoles have mouse+keyboards since earlier than PS1, but they are very rare and not a thing that could be assumed.

2) The bureaucratic processes of getting your game patched on consoles. The patching process would have to be changed to a more traditional "huge patch couple times a year" approach. Not a good thing.

3) Target audience probably not big on consoles. I mean, the game is aimed directly at D2 fans. How many of them have left PC for a console?
and how is dark souls anything like PoE?
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
"
staxjax wrote:
PC elitest are ignorant to console development nowadays. Do you guys even realize that the hardware in the upcoming consoles are both based on x86-64bit architecture. That is the same system that is in all of your PCs. It wouldn't be so hard to port PC games to consoles anymore, and the days of shitty console->PC ports are coming to a close.

I would play PoE on a PlayStation.

Guess who doesn't have an understanding of porting games or console hardare/software.

"
Faerindel wrote:

Dark souls was an easy game, the type of people that think it is hard are the same kids that scream at slender. The game was about dodging, nothing more.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Jun 29, 2013, 1:11:53 PM
To be fair the Dark Souls comment was a fair point about difficulty. It did have some crazy tough areas. The stairs boss (if u played u know the one where you have to use the stairs to kill the boss) was tricky as hell.

the thing that makes that point moot however is it was designed for console from the start. The controls, the third person view, everything. The difficulty was scaled up for PC. hence the additional name "Dark Souls - Prepare to die". I happened to play it on a ps2 pad on PC because the mouse + keyboard actually hindered the gameplay.

"
Guess who doesn't have an understanding of porting games or console hardare/software.

That is like saying "guess who hasnt taken the time to understand how to code games and the difference between pc development and codebases compered to console". It's irrelevant to the statement or question of why PoE should be a console game from the gamers point of view.

I can tell you as a developer that making a game for console first makes the development easier for PC. The other way around makes it very difficult especially with the rules that Microsoft put in place for console based code. This is of course dependant on the game engine itself.

I will give you an example.

GTA games use memory stack references for loaded assets. In order to spawn an item you refer to the memory address of the item providing it is loaded into ram. It is one of the more difficult engines to develop with due to this as the error checking itself is a huge mission. this is suited to console gaming as the ram is statically ordered because there is very little chance that a third party app is going to take over that memory range.

A PC game does use this method sometimes but with the main difference that the pointing to memory addresses is done in the background by the engine and allows for a more dynamic system where the possibility of Windows injecting a third party app's memory resources into the reserved locations for the games resources is catered for.

Ask yourself why GTA4 took a year to get ported to the PC. It was pretty much a re-write of the engine. This would have cost Rockstar over a million dollars easily. Not to mention the dual updating of the engine (as anyone who played GTA4 PC edition knows it ran like utter crap at first).

So essentially the task of making PoE for console is not impossible. The buttons used could be catered for on a pad btw with some tweaking. Diablo3 didnt have the flask system (which is the main control barrier) but managed it fine with direct stick control. I am sure the smart-arses at GGG could figure that out. Given an hour I could. The real question is why would you want it on console? Some games would simply be ruined by the platform.
"
fortyb4five wrote:
and how is dark souls anything like PoE?

I think he's bashing the difficulty for some reason, which is weird he even mentions it because the Dark Soul's PC port is garbage without a couple of mods.

And to the OP, the Xbox One and PS4's only difference at this point is $100 and one comes with a stalking tool while the other sells it separately. Microsoft even stopped charging for updates for games now, I bet that makes the Fez developer angry. Wii U master race.
Last edited by Imaginaerum on Jun 29, 2013, 1:46:30 PM
Tbh putting it on a console wouldn't be a bad idea(particularly the PS4) though they would need separate servers so console don't mix with PC.

BUT i would rather they don't jump on it until they are well ahead in what they need to do for the game atm (additional security options, desync, content and balance)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
If it ever would come to the ps4... I would play it..!!
I have diablo 3 on pc and i have it on the ps4..
I think i have played the ps4 version more, mostly because you can be up to 4 players in the samme room, thats not for elite gaming.. but damm its fun...
"
kyleseraphim wrote:
Hello Community, and You game Dev
I would like to ask, whether you think it would be possible for POE to go into those platforms, both will have great support and cloud system. I am sony fanboy especially after last E3, *here is big middle finger to $ soft* and i would like to have this game on ps3/4, to make the playing even more pleasurable. Imagina, shock system, instant access, easier content to buy, taking poe outside the house, playing it without hardware/software failure.
What is your opinion?

Omg get grown..
Middle finger for what?
Did they scam you? Offended you by any way?
Burned your house down?
Cmon.

You could also be angry at sony for not being able to protect their customer data.. again..
Saved unencrypted and called Master_accounts and bs like this. People got their cc listed there in trueword lol.
I doubt GGG wants his crowd to be scammed like that.
Nobody is a shiny hero in industries, something you should realize the older you get.

Ported on consoles so even Poe gets down cutted like the last "diablo" sequel?
Well yea do it, but then nobody will play it after a few weeks like it happened to d3.
Problem is game needs to be simplified for consoles, something that would not fit to a complex game?

hardware/software failure.
what are you talking about?
Got 3 Rigs here with different setup (amd/intel/nvidia) and there are no hardware and software failures?

"
staxjax wrote:
PC elitest are ignorant to console development nowadays. Do you guys even realize that the hardware in the upcoming consoles are both based on x86-64bit architecture. That is the same system that is in all of your PCs. It wouldn't be so hard to port PC games to consoles anymore, and the days of shitty console->PC ports are coming to a close.

I would play PoE on a PlayStation.

You realize Poe would need so much changes to run smooth on a console it would fck up the game?
MTX would be needed to cut down heavily for party play and that is something GGG never would do.

You cannot paste any content to consoles just because it use the same architecture.
There are some genres that are nearly unplayable on consoles like strategy or grand strategy and for me a good and complex fast pathed party play hacknslay like Poe too.

I personal would love to see linux support but thats it.
GGG already stated they are interested in consoles.
However we all know this engine would not be welcome by console players lets be clear about that.
And a new engine costs time and money.

Maybe for Poe2? :)
Last edited by blackstar on Dec 9, 2014, 4:34:22 AM
"
staxjax wrote:
It wouldn't be so hard to port PC games to consoles anymore, and the days of shitty console->PC ports are coming to a close.

bwahahaha dream on

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info