[1.0.1] Double Point Blank - RoA Dual Totem build. Updated!

Introduction / Strategy
Spoiler
I give credit to SolusCoda for it is his build that I based this one upon. Please PM him and give him some love!

The build is based around Dual totem linked to Rain of Arrows and picking up point blank along with using a Chin Sol Unique for maximum damage output, from a safe distance. Plant your totems right on top of the mobs you are fighting for maximum destruction from double point blank!

The beauty of this build is that it can do any map. The only restrictions that hold you back are gear. Everything else is up to your skill and how well you play the build.

No/half regen maps: Use Devouring Totem, take it slow, and make sure to carry an extra health potion, if you do not have 3 already.

Minus max resists maps: Carry a Topaz Flask and just be careful - you can avoid most any type of projectile from a distance except for Arc.

Reflect maps: Not a problem at all. The only annoyance here is that your totems die faster then normal. Just keep spamming them and watch your health.

The biggest problem that we face with this build is Chain abilities combined with high physical monster rolls (titty bitches, especially.) The reason is because the projectiles chain off of our totems and head straight to us multiple times. With higher level maps, that roll chain, make sure to carry an extra granite around and hide behind corners/walls.

The strategy behind this setup is to place the totems right at the feet of the ranged units / casters / bosses. Don't worry about the melee units, they will follow you or run straight to your totem. Below is a picture displaying this.

Spoiler

Place your totems in location of the red stars - move out and away from the melee units and towards your totems. Your totems will do the rest :)

Do not be afraid to move around a lot, stay mobile. This can be a kite type build, so don't be afraid to dance around your totems - they don't always pull threat from you. Wearing 20%+ movement speed boosts along with leather and steel movement restriction removal passive really helps with this.

I reached level 80 in a matter of a few weeks (working 40 hours a week+going to school) with this build only dying to the damage buff bug from 11.1b Pending that, i would have achieved a much higher level. I am currently level 76 on the Nemesis league and plan to go as far as the GGG gods will let me.

The Trees
Spoiler

*IMPORTANT REMINDER* While leveling, make sure to be leveling up a Rain of Arrows, Blood Magic and Ranged Attack Totem. If you have room, and if you aren't leveling them already, also level: Faster Attacks, Haste, Hatred, Grace, Added Fire Damage, Life Gain on Hit.

For leveling, I would recommend one of two options.

1) Dualstrike+melee splash / Cyclone

or

2) Rain of Arrows / Split Arrow.

Either of these choices can be used with mana or with life (Blood Magic Keystone) but I recommend the BM keystone, at least when you have enough life to sustain it. I am still currently using BM keystone, since I am having trouble linking my gear to get an appropriate setup and am doing just fine with no auras.

Progression
Spoiler

34 points

58 points - It's important to have enough life regen before going Blood Magic keystone. You will have 2.5% at this point, which will suffice.

70 points - This is the point of the tree right before you switch to dual-totem.

88 points - at this point, you should nearly complete with all of your tree (at least the required stuff) and you can start doing maps, if you wish, or just keep grinding CoS / Lunaris / Docks / Catacboms.

Level 90 BM gem build - 108 points.

Level 90 BM gem, Alpha's Howl, triple aura build - 108 points.

Level 100 build - 118 points - something to work for :)

The Gems
Spoiler
*IMPORTANT REMINDER* While leveling, make sure to be leveling up a Rain of Arrows, Blood Magic and Ranged Attack Totem. If you have room, and if you aren't leveling them already, also level: Faster Attacks, Haste, Hatred, Grace, Added Fire Damage, Life Gain on Hit.

Ranged Attack Totem + Rain of Arrows + Concentrated Effect + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic + Added Fire Damage / Weapon Elemental Damage

Frenzy + Culling Strike + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Blood Magic / Life Gain on Hit + Increased Item Rarity + Chain

Hatred + Haste + Grace / Anger + Reduced Mana

Projectile Weakness + Enfeeble + Lightning Warp + Blood Magic / Faster Casting

Cast when Damage Taken (level 7) + Enduring cry + Molten Shell + Summon Skeletons / Knockback(20%) - - - I am still testing this setup, still not 100% sure on this. Might drop CwDT all together, but not sure. I will keep you all posted.

The Gear
Spoiler
Required: Chin Sol

Recommend:

Carcass Jack / Kaom's Heart - These are both great uniques. Carcass Jack is more for early-mid game maps and farming. I would suggest dropping it once you obtain a Kaom's Heart or when you feel that you are having trouble surviving in 75+ level maps.

Alpha's Howl - Pretty much a requirement if you want to run 3 Auras. You will lose some life, but gain a huge chunk of armor and/or damage.

Blackgleam - Will give you a slight DPS increase, but you lose a chunk of life. Really only good when combined with Kaom's Heart, since it converts fire damage and then is increased by Kaom's.

*IMPORTANT REMINDER* Every piece of gear you have, that is not unique, must have 60-100 life on it.

After your resists are capped, work towards getting:

- Increased attack speed and/or X-Y added damage on your gloves and quiver(WED on quiver doesn't hurt, but not ideal.)

- A well rolled Rustic Sash (80+ life and WED.)

- 25%+ movement speed on your boots

- X-Y physical dmg rolls, along with attack speed on jewelry

The Bandits
Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak.
Cruel: Help Kraityn or Oak.
Merciless: Kill all.

My character
Spoiler

Here's my current gear:
Spoiler

My current DPS without frenzy charges and no auras:
Spoiler

My current defence with no auras or buffs (no quality on a lot of my gear too):
Spoiler

Videos
Spoiler

City of Sarn

Catacombs

I will post map videos up, as I do them. I am still grinding outside of maps for now. I probably wont start running maps until I am 79 or 80.

Any questions or concerns please feel free to ask - thanks.
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
Last edited by Edzilla on Nov 16, 2013, 7:38:51 AM
I was gonna do this in the one month race awhile ago except as CI and using crit. This ofcourse was before the nerf so now that you can miss with it :( Good to see it still working even just utilizing point blank etc.
"
phirt wrote:
I was gonna do this in the one month race awhile ago except as CI and using crit. This ofcourse was before the nerf so now that you can miss with it :( Good to see it still working even just utilizing point blank etc.

The problem with CI/mana builds is that it takes a lot of mana so you are pretty much required to use Blood Magic, so you are able to spam your totems. I did consider a crit/accuracy build, but since you are pretty much required to go life to sustain your totem spam, you just do not have the points to pick up enough crit/accuracy to matter. I also thought of running Lioneye's glare along with crit nodes and dropping RT along with accuracy, but you just lose too much DPS from not stacking point blank affects. Maybe if they allowed the point blank gem+the passive to stack, it would be possible but.. then again, i'd just rather stack it 3x in that case :P
Nice build! : )

Sorry to hear you died from the bug. I had a few close calls and had no idea why during the bug time. Hopefully you come back better and stronger!

See you in-game
"
SolusCoda wrote:
Nice build! : )

Sorry to hear you died from the bug. I had a few close calls and had no idea why during the bug time. Hopefully you come back better and stronger!

See you in-game

Yeah, me too. Bit frustrating, but, guess that just encourages me to take more life-nodes and not worry about damage until i'm in my late 80's.
can you post DPS tooltips?
and gems and equips too

btw i recommend using frenzy and take kraitlin Merc Reward
even if you dont deal damage you can boost your DTotem dps
"
Sammael wrote:
can you post DPS tooltips?
and gems and equips too

btw i recommend using frenzy and take kraitlin Merc Reward
even if you dont deal damage you can boost your DTotem dps

If you read my gems section - or maybe just pay attention - I do have Frenzy linked to a support gem setup :P

My tooltip, before I died, was 4k dps. That was @ level 80, mediocre gear, and dual totem - so you basically double the tooltip dps since you have two totems up about 90% of the time. Only time you do not run two totems is when you are running no or half regen maps. Also keep in mind, all my of gear except for my quiver, bow, and chest are all just straight HP/resist gear, so i didn't really have any extra dps boost.

I've sold some of my gear, so I can't really post screen shots of tooltip dps, but I believe I do still have the bow, quiver and my chest.

Also keep in mind that your tooltip doesn't take into account Point Blank or Chin Sol's more bow damage at close range. So in reality it's 3x (1 * 1.5 * 2) the tooltip DPS at close range, which is huge.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
Also keep in mind that your tooltip doesn't take into account Point Blank or Chin Sol's more bow damage at close range. So in reality it's 3x (1 * 1.5 * 2) the tooltip DPS at close range, which is huge.

Ah yes, good point. Wish they would fix the tooltip dps, really. I do remember not noticing any type of tooltip change when picking up the point blank passive - kind of lame.
Hey, this build caught my attention and Ive been gathering stuff ready for it with my current main.
Got Chin Sol, Alpha's Howl & Carcass ready, also considering a Meginord's for the +phys and 10% hp.

Now if I also add Windscreams for double curse in there... I run in to one concern: HP.

Theres barely any +hp in the gear at that point. Do you reckon rings + amulet + belt are enough to cover the hp needs? Then there are gloves but Im not sure if I want to try go with uniques there as well. But yeah resists and hp both are a bit of a worry with this. Getting good enough accessories to do the resists and HP will be expensive...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info