Only 3 possible viable builds per class ??

The fans of ToG are just jealous, they know their game has few viable builds and they can't do anything about it. So they'll try to bring down any other game to that level.

If this affirmation was true, I myself would have made nearly more different viable builds that PoE could offer, this is just ridiculous.

Even if the skill tree hadn't existed, there would already be dozens of viable build only thanks to the combination of skill choice and itemization (especially unique items). Now add the tree, then you can't count anymore.

Besides, for now I haven't heard of any existing optimal build in PoE and I doubt it will ever happen. People know about keystone combinations and skill combinations that work well, but everyone makes different builds with it.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
They clearly saw POE as a threat. It hurts them to see a tiny, unknown, upstart indie developer from the far reaches of the planet gut their game, the default aRPG that they have invested alot of time and emotion in.

And do it better.

There was alot of cognitive dissonance over at D3.

D3 is a game clearly aimed for casuals. Following D3 developement over the years, it has clearly been dumbed down, almost to the point where the conspiracy theory goes over at the D3 forums, an unannounced, potential console release.

Yet the hardcore crowd had individually put in hundreds of hours, and suddenly a newer clearly more hardcore aRPG, with clear D1 and D2 influences come along, they see their celeb streamers playing, first cynical cussing and swearing at the 'clunky mechanics' initially, then at the end turned out their having fun, theory crafting and improving their character, even when their characters die.

Deep down they must've realized that POE is clearly the ame they always wanted to play, but they just can't cross the rubicon. It takes alot to swallow their pride and jump overboard.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
I think the endgame "Maps" system removes the possibility of having a situation where only 3 or so builds are viable. Lets say I have a pretty decent mace build for my marauder. Such a build would be useless in a map with "enemies cannot be stunned" affix

Due to this system you will always want to build a character that doesn't suffer the penalty of a particular map affix and proceed to trade for those types of maps that your build can clear with ease. This I think vastly increases the amount of builds viable for endgame.

Another thing to consider is that maps that are ideal for more "popular" builds will likely be more expensive to trade for, further rewarding crazy/uncommon builds that will find theirs cheaper. However this is just speculation on my part.

You might also want to coordinate with a friend and make characters that cover eachothers weaknesses. An example of this is Chris and Totalbiscuit's maps video where both their characters seem rather weak in a solo environment but together they make quite a solid combo.
The entire premise of this game to me at least is do what ever you damn well please.

Those builds of the week don't show you cookie cutters they show imagination style and screw you I want my char to do something you'd never expect.

Working out well so far imo.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info