Only 3 possible viable builds per class ??

Heya gents and ladies

Just had a visit at " that other Arpg " forum

And funny enough, people there are stating that only 2-3 builds per class are viable ...

some even say less than in "that other Arpg"

As far as i know, ive tried many many diffirent Witch builds from tempest shield to standard Fireball

all seemed pretty good so .... i wonder where they get that idea?

any thoughts
If you wish for a key? pray to the allmighty Keysus. If you want a speedy Blessing? Donate to the church of Keysus and ye shall receive a Blessing.

*Disclaimer- This is now a vintage saying*
Last edited by xreasonz on Jul 28, 2012, 1:37:14 PM
Are you surprised?
Sure you can slap your skill points around willy nilly and have some level of success, but the so called cookie cutter builds will do more damage /have more survivability.
Same goes for special snowflake /"fun" builds"
This has always been the way of arpg's.
Lots of ways to do it, only a handful of really good ways to do it.

there could be a support forum for mentally handicapped people in which it was required that posters verified their I.Q.'s were less than 80 before they could post and yet Blizzard forums would still be the dumbest place on the internet.
"
Are you surprised?
Sure you can slap your skill points around willy nilly and have some level of success, but the so called cookie cutter builds will do more damage /have more survivability.
Same goes for special snowflake /"fun" builds"
This has always been the way of arpg's.
Lots of ways to do it, only a handful of really good ways to do it.

Granted some builds will outperform other ones

But Effeciency put aside
I found i had massive fun playing with the Tempest shield version

Slower yes but more fun Viable in its own right

Thou when building a certain build you center that around those skills you picked, obviously

It just makes me itch when i read that nonsense on their forum

If you wish for a key? pray to the allmighty Keysus. If you want a speedy Blessing? Donate to the church of Keysus and ye shall receive a Blessing.

I haven't seen anyone crunch any numbers yet, I think we're all waiting until Open Beta to do that. So, I don't think there's any mathematical evidence yet to suggest an optimal build for any POE class yet. Obviously, Witches scale best with spell damage, but what combination of passives, actives, and support gems render the most DPS while allowing for necessary defenses in case of slip ups? I don't think anyone knows this yet. When we know more about building each class and have done more experiments, we'll be able to say whether GGG's system works and provides multiple "effecient" builds for each class, or whether everything degrades into your typical cookie cutter scenario.

I also think that we're quite low on active skills at the moment. GGG is shooting for 100 by launch, but I don't think even that will be enough. We lack a sufficient amount of Fire/Lightning spells compared to Cold, which has amazing offensive and defensive skills to choose from at the moment.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jul 28, 2012, 2:00:35 PM
"
anubite wrote:
I haven't seen anyone crunch any numbers yet, I think we're all waiting until Open Beta to do that. So, I don't think there's any mathematical evidence yet to suggest an optimal build for any POE class yet. Obviously, Witches scale best with spell damage, but what combination of passives, actives, and support gems render the most DPS while allowing for necessary defenses in case of slip ups? I don't think anyone knows this yet. When we know more about building each class and have done more experiments, we'll be able to say whether GGG's system works and provides multiple "effecient" builds for each class, or whether everything degrades into your typical cookie cutter scenario.

completely agree

Meanwhile ill build my own builds and experiment.
Probably continuing with that well after Open beta
OR maybe making a 2nd char with THE build per class
And keep my other one for when i want to have some serious fun

I think most people will do something like that, thou its speculation obviously

Any ARPG will end up having an 'optimal build' that tends to take the cake, IMO - it's impossible to avoid.

What is more important, is having many viable/sub-optimal builds.

Sure, X build might be the 'best', but as long as there are a few other builds that come close, and a few other novelty/fun builds, then thats about as much as you can really hope for.
Kaniz

Thats all i want :)

And i guess thats what the Arpg scene really needs
For to long have we been directed to what to choose

Finally we can go mad again :)

People clearly don't know what "viable" means. That's what happens when a buzzword gets thrown around too often.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
kaniz wrote:
Any ARPG will end up having an 'optimal build' that tends to take the cake, IMO - it's impossible to avoid.

What is more important, is having many viable/sub-optimal builds.

Sure, X build might be the 'best', but as long as there are a few other builds that come close, and a few other novelty/fun builds, then thats about as much as you can really hope for.

Yup, some people will only play "optimal" builds that they read about in guides and playing anything else is seen as a waste of time. While powerful builds will certainly emerge, I don't believe those players are truly the target audience for PoE.

The game is built for theorycrafting and trying oddball builds that get the job done in interesting ways, and we're the kind of players that find those powerful builds and take the time to write the guides in the first place.

The game is still unfinished and clearly the devs are still adding content on all fronts. I think it's safe to say we're not going to see a "Hammerdin wearing Enigma" build in PoE, so there's not going to be a 100% clear-cut winner build to play. Plus these devs care, so if something is unbalanced they won't take 6 months-to-never to fix it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info