Item Level vs. Level Requirement

"
It's the item level (viewable with /itemlevel ) that determines which magical mods, and how many sockets can spawn on an item.

The Required Level is determined from the magical modifiers, or the base item type, whichever is highest.

So the level requirement can never be higher than the item level.
Posted by Malice on August 17, 2011 10:53 AM

I had no idea that "item level" even existed until I learned about it through global chat. You actually have to type a command into local chat as if it were a terminal while holding the item you wish to check on the cursor.

Not sure how much of the playerbase or the devs even realize that this number (which isn't even displayed with the item) plays a huge role in the item's evaluation, especially when trading with other players. It's basically the single most important aspect of any item at the higher levels of difficulty, and it's the first thing you get asked about.

I have a few suggestions to make this a lot more user friendly. My first impulse was to think that this number should be displayed in a prominent way right at the top of the item sheet, perhaps directly below the item title.

My second thought was: why does this separate, effectively invisible number even exist? How about just having one master number that is already visible on the item sheet - the level requirement.

The other players I talked to about this thought it would be a bad idea because on the surface it seems to lower the quality of items; since the item level can be much higher than the level requirement.

However, this is backwards: you shouldn't be able to use a weapon that is inherently superior to another inferior weapon of the same type with a higher level requirement than you can even use! That basically renders the level requirement useless and arbitrary while the item level is the true determinant of the item's overall potential.

So why not just use the item level number as the level requirement? That would kill two birds with one stone. Yes this would mean a dramatic shift in the current evaluation of items, but at the same time it's actually far more accurate - and it doesn't require tediously typing console commands in the chat system.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
neotoy wrote:

I have a few suggestions to make this a lot more user friendly. My first impulse was to think that this number should be displayed in a prominent way right at the top of the item sheet, perhaps directly below the item title.

I support this, I'd like to see item level on "item sheet". Maybe only for items with ilvl > 30 to not confuse starting players (or toggable via options).
"
neotoy wrote:
So why not just use the item level number as the level requirement?

Because this would almost completely destroy finding good items for one's lower-level characters during normal play.

An item's "item level number" is directly inherited from where you found it: all items that drop in the Coves in normal (area level 14) from normal monsters have an item level of 14; add 1 if it was a magic monster, or 2 if the monster was rare/unique.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
neotoy wrote:

I've suggested this some time ago as well since it's important info and should be *in your face* for the player.
I've always thought the *console command* is a temp workaround though.

The fact that iLv is tied to the monster level it dropped off of, while correct, does not help any longer once we stuff items away in our storage.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
"
Skivverus wrote:
Because this would almost completely destroy finding good items for one's lower-level characters during normal play.

An item's "item level number" is directly inherited from where you found it: all items that drop in the Coves in normal (area level 14) from normal monsters have an item level of 14; add 1 if it was a magic monster, or 2 if the monster was rare/unique.

But if the item attributes are better, even if it's a lower level item then it's not really "destroying" the quality at all. From my POV the attributes are floating, they can be scaled up or down by GGG and linked to any item level they want.

Since everything is going to be wiped anyway, they could easily make this kind of change.
I'm not entirely sure what your logic is here.

Item level is used to allow (without guaranteeing) drops by higher-level monsters to be correspondingly higher-level in their affixes and base type.

If we remove item level, you either have level 60 items dropping from level 1 enemies, or you don't have anything but level 60 items dropping from level 60 enemies. Neither option is palatable.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
This is probably considered 'polish' since it simply has to be added to the item description at some point.

An item can have 2 clear values that eventually both have to be displayed: current level requirement, and item level.

I also think that the comment that current requirement can never be greater than item level... that shouldn't be. This implies I can never find an item in a level 14 area that requires level 18 to use no matter how lucky I get, which I think is potentially bad.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Skivverus wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what your logic is here.

Item level is used to allow (without guaranteeing) drops by higher-level monsters to be correspondingly higher-level in their affixes and base type.

If we remove item level, you either have level 60 items dropping from level 1 enemies, or you don't have anything but level 60 items dropping from level 60 enemies. Neither option is palatable.

The logic is that in average gameplay you're fighting mobs of approximately the same level as your character. Hence 'item level' drops that are near or at your level. If item level replaces the level requirement then it stands to reason that average drops would be near your level. To address your second point, there could still be some variance even then; a lvl 60 monster doesn't have to drop a lvl 60 item. It could just as easily drop items with a level within a range + & - its level.

Even if the mobs are 5+ levels above you, easy enough to stash the item until you level up and are able to use it. Maybe you misunderstood what I meant in the original post?

Item level is not removed, it replaces the level requirement, or more specifically it becomes the level requirement. This new single number is then what is used to calculate affixes and base types. Basically it fulfills both purposes.
I don't know if it was already suggested. I think it should be a toggle you turn on via the UI options. That way new players who don't need to worry about Item level don't see it. Yet by the time you are leveled and figure out you want item level 50+ to try and roll a 6l. You can go and turn it on. It puts one at a huge disadvantage if you are trying to trade for the base item.

Reminds me of trading for high lvl base charms in diablo 2, you had to trust the person not to screw you.
This destroys lower lvl PvP.

Since ilvl determines sockets. If item level were required lvl, you couldn't have a 5L in lvl28 PvP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info