Item Level vs. Level Requirement

"
gonzaw wrote:
Well I dunno

I only check the "req level" for stuff I get.
If I see a gear with "Req level = 51" then I assume the "level" of that gear is indeed 51.
I have no idea whether the ilvl of it is 51 or 1000000, so that "thrill" does not exist at all in my specific mind.

Considering how it's almost impossible to know the ilvl of the item (by that I mean...it's impossible to find it without being frustrating as hell so you just don't do it)...where is the thrill there?

ilvl determines the tier of mods right? Isn't there RNG on those tiers as well?

If you get a +10% fire resist you can also get a +20% fire resist (yeah don't really know how the exact mod works lol, it's just an example). There's already enough RNG in those tiers to satisfy your "lust for awesome items!" (you can get the "perfect rolls" for those mods...in which case there's the awesome item you want), and that seems to be the whole point about them to me!.

If you want to fix this, then add more variance to said tiers of mods and you solve that problem.

ilvl as it is now is either frustrating or nonexistent or frustratingly nonexistent (when you would really like to know about it for something but you don't)

Indeed there is RNG, however knowing the iLevel lets you know if it is worth using orbs to try and get good mods, or not. Without knowing the iLevel you can only know the maximum value of mods via pure deduction/testing. making iLevel easier to discover will resolve the issue of it being annoying to find, removing it just harms the game.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
gonzaw wrote:
Well I dunno

If I see a gear with "Req level = 51" then I assume the "level" of that gear is indeed 51.
I have no idea whether the ilvl of it is 51 or 1000000, so that "thrill" does not exist at all in my specific mind.

Considering how it's almost impossible to know the ilvl of the item (by that I mean...it's impossible to find it without being frustrating as hell so you just don't do it)...where is the thrill there?

If you get a +10% fire resist you can also get a +20% fire resist (yeah don't really know how the exact mod works lol, it's just an example). There's already enough RNG in those tiers to satisfy your "lust for awesome items!" (you can get the "perfect rolls" for those mods...in which case there's the awesome item you want), and that seems to be the whole point about them to me!.

If you want to fix this, then add more variance to said tiers of mods and you solve that problem.

ilvl as it is now is either frustrating or nonexistent or frustratingly nonexistent (when you would really like to know about it for something but you don't)

Indeed there is RNG, however knowing the iLevel lets you know if it is worth using orbs to try and get good mods, or not. Without knowing the iLevel you can only know the maximum value of mods via pure deduction/testing. making iLevel easier to discover will resolve the issue of it being annoying to find, removing it just harms the game.

If ilvl = level requirement, and you know the level requirement, therefore you know the ilvl.

The point is that you just "bind" those two together for every mechanic they happen to be involved in, you don't "remove" it.
"
Show iLevel on items once you reach Merciless or disable all methods of determining iLevel and make it a completely hidden value... I like to look at PoE's implementation of iLevel as a compromise between the RNG dependent iLevel that Diablo III (And maybe Diablo 2 and other games?) uses and the absence of iLevel and I think it does a good job.

+1
IGN: Gumaru / Gumario / FoonNotSpork / Shield_For_Pants / Shockingly_Expensive
"
gonzaw wrote:
"
"
gonzaw wrote:
Well I dunno

If ilvl = level requirement, and you know the level requirement, therefore you know the ilvl.

The point is that you just "bind" those two together for every mechanic they happen to be involved in, you don't "remove" it.

It would then be useless to have iLevel at all then. And again, removing iLevel means you can't have good loot for low level players. At least not without significant restructuring of the loot system as a whole.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 10, 2013, 3:51:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info