Good God!

So, I was doing some more reading on this game out of sheer curisoity, then I came across the Passive Skill Tree.... And Brix were shat, it looks like it has more customization options than D2 and D3 had combined (Don't take this the wrong way, I love D2 to death) but this is just incredible. Is it really as complex as it seems? Or is it simple to figure out how it actually works and why its so big after a few lvl ups? One way or the other, it still looks amazing, if its complex? Great! Another challenge in a game thats more complicated yet probably better than D3! If its simple but just looks scary? Oh well! Its still friggin huge and would be fun to actually read what each one does and how you benefit from it!
It is complex, it gives you the ability to create very unique builds. However don't let it scare you, if you plan out your build before it becomes quite simple. I did not and still ended up with a good build, but i have used 10-15 respec points fixing stuff i missed or didnt know about.

I think its one of the most diverse and unique skill systems in an arpg.

Not to mention the further customizing that can be done with skill gems. Once you get to upper lvls and stumble across a 5 linked or 6 linked socketed item you can add up to 5 support gems to a single skill. Giving that skill some very powerful attributes.
It looks intimidating at first, but you quickly get to know it. It is being improved and modified all the time too.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
That is just insane, simply insane. I'm quite shocked actually that this is going to be a F2P, definitely could have been sold for at least 30 dollars. They seem to work hard as hell on the game, will definitely end up supporting them when paycheck comes in. Hopefully soon. Thanks guys for the updated info as well!
Sure is very a very open tree.

It's not really that complex though.
Yes, it sure was complex the first time through Normal, but after I had spent a little time just checking out the keystones, clusters, etc, it came quite apparent it's really just a clever way of allowing customization.

The cobweb is kinda like a piechart, where each class has two sections.
Those two sections represent the class' two main routes to take, and even more customization like for instance a Witch having the three elements to choose between or mix, a Duelist having different weapon specs in his areas and so on.

Seeing as we have so many talent points (a potential 111 total, but far less in reality, one point for levelling plus the ones we get from quests), IMO, one can branch off into two directions with lots of branching, or up to three if you don't stray too much on the first two.
For example my Duelist is branched (at lvl 43) towards the Marauder, picking up Axe talents, AllRes, and HP Regen, and downwards in Duelist territory picking up axe talents, HP Regen, and some accuracy and speed stuff.
Seeing as I'll have about 20.

My Witch is currently branched into her own field for mana reg, frost, and Chaos Innoculation.
Those keystones already locks her in, that's just one and a half "branch", she's a spellcaster for life with that. Now she can either boost that in Templar territory along with def talents, or go minions.

My point is, the cobweb isn't that complex, once you've branched the one time, you're more or less defined. One shining exception (and there might be a few) is the Strength to Bow Damage keystone, that allows for some weapon swap goodness mainly for Duelists and Marauders.

Still, the fact that we can make messed up builds and maybe even make it work (Normal and Cruel does not count, imo) is great. But, I still don't think it's complex, i.e. hard to understand or make use of.

Edit: The Keystones are the clue to knowing what is where, generally clusters surrounding the Keystone (and it's cluster if it has one) are talents complimenting that Keystone.

Ps. The design is brilliant, if anyone thinks I meant otherwise :P
Last edited by Toltie on Jul 10, 2012, 3:52:31 PM
One of the main reasons why i still play FFX is the sphere grid and the amount of customization it offers to each character. No one play through is the same.

Sure there are some skills in that game that were kinda compulsary but what i can tell from this game froms the vods ive seen so far is that you can really come up with some creative builds that at first glance dont even seem viable but when combined other abilities and keystones become really good.

Cant wait to try it out myself :)
I am the darkness
Last edited by Victarion on Jul 10, 2012, 4:06:15 PM
It's really simplistic IMO. The only thing is its overwhelming due to how large it is. Realistically what they need to add is an in game search engine that searches for specific nodes within your vicinity (you can specify within how many nodes). Say I wanted crit, I type it in, and it highlights all nodes that increase my crit. This would make the skilldrasil much more easily navigated, which is its only problem atm.
I have no trouble negotiating the Skilldrasil these days, and I've only been here since late March.

Constructing a character is actually a series of binary choices per level: you have +10 nodes that serve as pathways, and you have clusters of related passive buffs to which those paths lead. Do you take a nearby node cluster or do you take +10 to an attribute as you head towards a different cluster? In the Shadow's case, this might be 'Increased Attack Speed and melee damage now' or 'Evasion and Accuracy a few levels after 3 levels of +10 to dexterity.'

There's a search function and path calculator on the website's version (which I cannot load here at work, stupid outdated browsers and lazy IT department) which makes it all pretty simple.

This is one case where you sometimes need to forget the forest to see the trees.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 10, 2012, 4:46:44 PM
Thank you Toltie and Charan, great detail on what its like, it sounds as incredible as it looks, will definitely be looking forward to the diversity of builds that I can make and enjoy with personally, another thing I love about it is that it doesn't seem like everyone else will be using the same build as you (unless of course they Google what the best build is for this class or that class :P ) but aside from that, it sounds like everyone will be unique and different in their own way, and thats something I love hearing in games like this. One of the main things I disliked in Diablo 3, all builds were mostly the same because only this group of skills was useful with these certain runes, no diversity, and absolutely NO customization on stats. Witch really disappointed me, Stat/skill customization is a MUST for games of these types (love the skill system in PoE btw) not much fun when the next guy running around has the same exact build as you just cause its a cool build and not his personal build.
if you played final fantasy 10... its the exact same sphere grid, just wit skills that fit path of exile.
support - grinding gear games, cdprojekt, runic games, clockstone, larian studios, south peak games, crate entertainment, invision games (on facebook), localize dragonquest anniversery (facebook).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info