Is Armor / Evasion taken into consideration BEFORE Energy Shield?

"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
"
It's enough that he came here and asked rather than ask in-game, Rabbit. Also, I've looked through that sticky and found no clear list of the order in which the various defence types operate. It might be somewhere in the entire thread but searching for that could be quite problematic. We mods are the first to agree that the search function of the forum right now is borderline broken.

You've made your point. You disagree with people asking questions that you feel they could find for themselves. No one else here seems to have a problem with Kyliathy's query, including two mods. Please drop it.

"
Damage Types
There are currently 5 main types of damage, they are Physical, Fire, Cold, Lightning, and Chaos.
Fire, Cold, and Lightning are collectively known as Elemental Damage.
Damage reduction from armour only affects physical damage. Each of the elemental damage types has it's own resistance value (eg "Fire resistance") which is viewable in the character sheet. Resistances reduce damage taken, and are capped at 75%.

Fire damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals fire damage, the enemy begins Burning. Burning causes damage over time. Humanoids, Monkeys and Sea Witches will flee while burning.
Burning lasts 4 seconds, and the amount of damage over time is 1/3 of the fire damage dealt per second. So a total of 4/3 of the original damage, over 4 seconds.

Cold damage
Hitting an enemy with cold damage can cause the enemy to be Chilled. Critical hits with cold damage can also cause the target to be Frozen. Chilled enemies move, attack, and cast 30% slower, while frozen enemies cannot do anything except drink flasks.

Lightning damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals lightning damage, the enemy becomes Shocked. This can be stacked up to three times on one target. In this state, monsters or players take 40% additional damage per instance of Shock. Shock stacks additively with itself, for a maximum of 120% with a stack of three. The damage multiplier itself applies multiplicatively with your final damage, since it it increasing the damage the enemy takes, rather than the damage you deal.

Chaos Damage
Chaos damage ignores energy shield, reducing life directly.

:)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
:)
Quoted the wrong post of yours, I was answering when you asked if armour reduced chaos damage.

"
Skivverus: wouldn't chaos damage also skip step 4? If not, I'm unusually attracted to armour right now...
TehHammer is not a crime!
TheRabbit303: usually, I *do* bother to search. But I was quite sure than in this case, somebody might actually enjoy answering something he/she knows very well from a thread he/she already read.

It's not a case of laziness, it's a case of EFFICIENCY. I see the Forum as a TEAM. Rather than go and spend time reading 100 pages, I'm asking a TEAM-MATE. I'm a software developer so excuse me for thinking socially ::- ).

I'm far from being lazy, having made in my own time hours of videos for this game, not to mention the tons of discussions I had with my friends pushing them towards POE. Don't worry, I have my own way of contributing. And I won't even mention the times I submitted / recorded videos for bug reports.

It's simply a case of solving a problem in the most efficient way and dedicate time for better use (and in my case, it doesn't mean playing, it also means doing stuff for the future of this game).
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
Last edited by Kyliathy on Jul 9, 2012, 6:39:44 PM
"
Kyliathy wrote:
TheRabbit303: usually, I *do* bother to search. But I was quite sure than in this case, somebody might actually enjoy answering something he/she knows very well from a thread he/she already read.

It's not a case of laziness, it's a case of EFFICIENCY. I see the Forum as a TEAM. Rather than go and spend time reading 100 pages, I'm asking a TEAM-MATE. I'm a software developer so excuse me for thinking socially ::- ).

I'm far from being lazy, having made in my own time hours of videos for this game, not to mention the tons of discussions I had with my friends pushing them towards POE. Don't worry, I have my own way of contributing. And I won't even mention the times I submitted / recorded videos for bug reports.

It's simply a case of solving a problem in the most efficient way and dedicate time for better use (and in my case, it doesn't mean playing, it also means doing stuff for the future of this game).

I'd respond to this in my typical manner, but I know Charan's already on your side.

So your questions have been answered, everyone is smarter for it, teamwork, yay, etc...
What do you care about what side anybody is on?

Speak your mind, I won't... mind ::- D. Neither will Charan. If you have something relevant to say, that is, other than accuse me of being a parasite (which is pretty much what I infer when people bash other people for not searching first).

Or just PM me.
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
Last edited by Kyliathy on Jul 9, 2012, 6:58:42 PM
Could someone add this post to the mechanics thread first post or two?

Seems really good to have there if it isn't already.
"
mdonais wrote:
Could someone add this post to the mechanics thread first post or two?

Seems really good to have there if it isn't already.

1) Avoiding the hit:
- Chance to hit (accuracy vs evasion) for attacks
- Chance to dodge for attacks, or spells with phase acrobatics

2) Avoiding the damage:
- Block chance for attacks, sometimes spells.

3) Mitigating the damage:
- Armour for physical damage.
- Resistances for non-physical damage.

4) Taking the damage:
- Non-chaos damage removed from energy shield until it's depleted.
- Remaining damage (including all chaos) removed from life.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 9, 2012, 8:54:53 PM
NICE. That's really clear, and definitely helps me with several of my builds. Cheers, Mark.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
There's a unique helmet with chaos resistance by the way, so the damage mitigation step isn't skipped, it's just ineffective most of the time :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info