Is Armor / Evasion taken into consideration BEFORE Energy Shield?

I already know from a player of some renown that Armor / Evasion is taken into consideration BEFORE Energy Shield, but I want to make sure you guys know the same thing.

I want to go for Chaos Inoculation with a melee character so I have to be absolutely sure about this:

Evasion is the first thing taken into consideration.

Then comes Armor, which reduces the amount of damage the Energy Shield gets.

Then comes Energy Shield.

True?
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
There's a mechanics thread for a reason.
TehHammer is not a crime!
I think, and I could be wrong, the order of operations goes something like this:

1. Dodge
2. Evasion
3. Block
4. Armor/Resists
5. Energy Shield
6. Health

"
FaceLicker wrote:
I think, and I could be wrong, the order of operations goes something like this:

1. Dodge
2. Evasion
3. Block
4. Armor/Resists
5. Energy Shield
6. Health

Sounds about right. That said...

Exceptions/caveats:
- Spells will skip steps 1-3 (except in the case of Phase Acrobatics)
- Chaos damage will skip step 5
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Skivverus wrote:
"
FaceLicker wrote:

1. Dodge
2. Evasion
3. Block
4. Armor/Resists
5. Energy Shield
6. Health

Sounds about right. That said...

Exceptions/caveats:
- Spells will skip steps 1-3 (except in the case of Phase Acrobatics)
- Chaos damage will skip step 5

Just a minor detail - there is a shield node in the templar area which gives you a (low) chance to block spells - so Phase acrobatics is not the only exception (and of course there is one unique shield which blocks spells as well, but sadly it doesn't block attacks ;))
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jul 9, 2012, 5:36:38 PM
TheRabbit303: since you spent time to post about the existence of that thread, could you also link the relevant post? If not, why bother? I asked for a reason: to get a quick answer from somebody who knows this stuff. Forum Search isn't exactly the best engine. My first stop would be an official wiki, but we don't have that yet.

FaceLicker & co.: thank you!
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
Last edited by Kyliathy on Jul 9, 2012, 5:45:59 PM
"
FaceLicker wrote:

1. Dodge
2. Evasion
3. Block
4. Armor/Resists
5. Energy Shield
6. Health

Pretty sure this is the answer I give if asked. I'm still a tad hazy on dodge/evasion but other than that it's fairly clear.

Skivverus: wouldn't chaos damage also skip step 4? If not, I'm unusually attracted to armour right now...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Kyliathy wrote:
TheRabbit303: since you spent time to post about the existence of that thread, could you also link the relevant post? If not, why bother? I asked for a reason: to get a quick answer from somebody who knows this stuff. Forum Search isn't exactly the best engine. My first stop would be an official wiki, but we don't have that yet.

You're right, that would require people to do research on their own instead of ask for handouts.

Or, it could be that it's a huge thread stickied at the top of this forum.

The answers to everything asked in this thread are in the very first post of that thread...
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
"
Kyliathy wrote:

You're right, that would require people to do research on their own instead of ask for handouts.

Or, it could be that it's a huge thread stickied at the top of this forum.

The answers to everything asked in this thread are in the very first post of that thread...

It's enough that he came here and asked rather than ask in-game, Rabbit. Also, I've looked through that sticky and found no clear list of the order in which the various defence types operate. It might be somewhere in the entire thread but searching for that could be quite problematic. We mods are the first to agree that the search function of the forum right now is borderline broken.

You've made your point. You disagree with people asking questions that you feel they could find for themselves. No one else here seems to have a problem with Kyliathy's query, including two mods. Please drop it.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
It's enough that he came here and asked rather than ask in-game, Rabbit. Also, I've looked through that sticky and found no clear list of the order in which the various defence types operate. It might be somewhere in the entire thread but searching for that could be quite problematic. We mods are the first to agree that the search function of the forum right now is borderline broken.

You've made your point. You disagree with people asking questions that you feel they could find for themselves. No one else here seems to have a problem with Kyliathy's query, including two mods. Please drop it.

"
Damage Types
There are currently 5 main types of damage, they are Physical, Fire, Cold, Lightning, and Chaos.
Fire, Cold, and Lightning are collectively known as Elemental Damage.
Damage reduction from armour only affects physical damage. Each of the elemental damage types has it's own resistance value (eg "Fire resistance") which is viewable in the character sheet. Resistances reduce damage taken, and are capped at 75%.

Fire damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals fire damage, the enemy begins Burning. Burning causes damage over time. Humanoids, Monkeys and Sea Witches will flee while burning.
Burning lasts 4 seconds, and the amount of damage over time is 1/3 of the fire damage dealt per second. So a total of 4/3 of the original damage, over 4 seconds.

Cold damage
Hitting an enemy with cold damage can cause the enemy to be Chilled. Critical hits with cold damage can also cause the target to be Frozen. Chilled enemies move, attack, and cast 30% slower, while frozen enemies cannot do anything except drink flasks.

Lightning damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals lightning damage, the enemy becomes Shocked. This can be stacked up to three times on one target. In this state, monsters or players take 40% additional damage per instance of Shock. Shock stacks additively with itself, for a maximum of 120% with a stack of three. The damage multiplier itself applies multiplicatively with your final damage, since it it increasing the damage the enemy takes, rather than the damage you deal.

Chaos Damage
Chaos damage ignores energy shield, reducing life directly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info