Do you think this game will be better than diablo 2?

yep, mostly because of the systems
Team kiwi
I believe this game will be better than D2, i hear it is what D3 shoulda been. i am really excited to start and play this game. D3 is a huge waste of money and time, and D2 was a great game-but i dont think anyone will even remember it after this game gets up and going.
Never go into the desert, alone.
Mehhh D2 was flawed, good but flawed.
D3 was poorly executed.
POE should be able to build on both of these games.
"In Soviet Russia game plays you"
Me n' my GF play, all erry day. :D
Personally I know I am going to put way more time into this game than I ever put into D2.

In D2 the end game for me was Baal runs. Which got old after a while and then I would make a new character.

In PoE I imagine my end game will be both PvP and Maps (mostly maps though).
Just from seeing the way maps work, I imagine that will take a while to get stale, even doing them with just one character.

However, the one place where D2 will always be better is with the skills available to you. Nothing will ever feel better than my Trapsassin or my Frost Nova Sorc.

Also, if PoE doesnt get some kinda special level I think I may cry. I need my cow level style fix.
no way
but im sure it will be better than d3
d2 set the Standard for this Genre.

Will anyone ever be as good is Michael Jordan? No, but there are other stars.

Invasion - No Sacrifice No Glory

HTTP://WWW.TWITCH.TV/THISISDEUX
Certain things can never be superseded, even though something 'better' can come along. They're just cemented into history that way. They came out and did something so significant, the aim wasn't to make something 'better than' these trailblazers so much as to create something 'like' them but with your own spin on what they did first, and if you achieved that, you were doing fine.

Anyone seen Akira? Very well-known anime. Pretty old now, but I challenge anyone to name a single anime title that has superseded it (I watched 'Chronicle' a few nights ago...). The Exorcist, another example of a movie that has been often imitated, never outdone.

You get the point. These are the genre-makers. The paradigms, even if something 'better' comes out, that something better will always have to at least acknowledge the shadow cast by its predecessor.

Video/Computer game-wise, this includes titles like Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong...and then, jumping forward a bit...Wonderboy, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Street Fighter 2...

Spoiler
Although I acknowledge that games like Yie Ar Kung Fu, Way of the Exploding Fist and of course Karateka started the side-on 1 v 1 fighting game genre, Street Fighter 1/2 was the first to implement special moves via movements of a joystick, I believe...

...and so on. Not a complete list, but you get the idea.

I think Diablo 2 falls into that category, even though it was itself a sequel. People talk about 'Diablo clones' but in essence they're really talking about Diablo 2 clones -- anyone who has played both games extensively will know there were only about two or three Diablo 1 clones: Nox and Darkstone are the ones that come to mind.

People can argue that this game or that 'is better' than Diablo 2 (I found Titan Quest a much more satisfying ARPG experience) but in making such a comparison, they're confirming that Diablo 2 is the paradigm for comparison in the first place.

Spoiler
(There is an exception to this, and it's almost exclusively Blizzard: most popular does not always mean the originator. Starcraft was not the progenitor of the RTS and WoW wasn't the first MMO (seriously), and yet these did become the paradigm of their genre...for better or worse, this is a fact. To this day it's a point of pride in certain gamers to know that every game of Starcraft ever played, broadcast, televised, *adulated unto*, owes its existence to Westwood's Dune 2: The Battle for Arrakis.)

So no, I don't think this game will be 'better than Diablo 2' simply because it can't be. It will always owe its existence to Diablo 2 and I think GGG are aware enough of that fact that they're not trying to make a game that outdoes Diablo 2, merely one that honours its legacy and maintains all the things that make the ARPG so utterly addictive and compelling.

Doesn't get better than that.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 8, 2012, 7:01:38 PM
So what was the first MMO?
It is better to die for something than live for yourself.
"
yourxd43 wrote:
Diablo 2 is still by far my favorite action RPG, I was really excite about diablo 3 until I played it for a week and it was a big disappointment. I found out about this game and am really excited to try it. I hope this game can be better than diablo 2, especially since that's a 12 year old game

You're kidding right? This game is fucking terrible. Its so slow I wanna cry....D3 blows, but its 100xs this game. I seriously pity the devs of this game, what a waste of their lives.
The potential is there, Luke.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info