Chaos Acolyte [Poison Arrow, Viper Strike, Shock] [IR/EB/MoM/AA] Potential 1.2.0 Tree in Latest Post

"
iao wrote:

If I remember correctly we were both working on our builds at the same time, and then both posted in the Poison Arrow feedback thread. So yeah, technically we both came upon the idea, and this is a combination of both of them. =p

As for shocking, I'd say it's possible even in groups. You'd just need a high level skill gem. I recommend Shock Nova because its high damage potential, and because its gem quality bonus is amazing. As soon as you get the hang of its targeting and deadzone, it's pretty good.

Anyways, good luck with your character man!

Edit: By the way, would you mind making a new video after you respec? I'd love to be able to show how powerful it'll be once 1.0.0 is released, I just can't record anything while playing. =/

Yeah I do remember that actually, man that was a while ago.

Once I figure out how I will be making my character and get everything set I'll try to make a new video. It won't be exactly like yours but I'll try to show it off.

I just hope I don't fully respec and regear then 2 weeks later they go and change everything about how DoT's work.

I was trying to see if I could have enough damage with the Thunderfist gloves and Frenzy + Ele Prolif + Wep Ele Dmg + Faster Attacks. Don't know though... gonna see if I can get a near 20/20 shock nova and test it or something.

I still have this which is perfect with the lightning damage. Well, the lightning damage might not matter anyway if I just use shock nova.

4L in the Thunderfist I guess would be Shock Nova + Conc Effect + Ele Prolif + Faster Cast?

Still trying to buy an empower gem....
Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Oct 16, 2013, 4:39:30 AM
So I got a 20/20 shock nova and was testing it. Got to where I could shock white/blues easily... when solo.

Still couldn't really shock rares+ though, so I imagine in a group it's just waste of effort. It would be amazing to be able to shock everything... but I don't think having enough damage to do that is viable, or the amount of effort it would take to get to that point would be worth it. That's my opinion anyway....

Got me to thinking of what I could do with the new skills (cast when damage taken).

There is lots of +fire dmg (80 something) available around maurader / witch / templar AOE

Could try doing something like Cast when dmg taken / molten shell / conc effect / iron will

Then that got me to thinking about:

Immortal call + inc duration + enduring cry + cast when dmg taken...

Now if you had duration passives, this combo seems like it could potentially be broken, and recast itself often enough to just make you immune to physical forever?

I doubt I'm the first to think of that, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Edit: I was thinking something along these lines, for the molten shell idea. Of course, this is as a maurader because that's what my guy is. Could be done with a duelist as well. My build is a lot different from yours though as I'm using a Kaom's instead of that chaos dmg chest. Seems like it could be pretty fun with molten shell blowing up stuff and the defense from it too. Goes well with my build idea anyway, since my guy is meant to be more of a tank, whereas your build seems to be more offensive.

You don't mind me posting this stuff right? It's kind of cluttering the thread I suppose, but I like to theorycraft and seeing other people's ideas too. Things are changing a lot with the new tree also since we can't go through the middle, and new skills.

Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Oct 16, 2013, 7:24:30 AM
Some good ideas, and I love that sword.
Honestly the not going through the middle anymore really changed how my routing for how I was going to make my PA character would be. But I guess if you need to go through the middle you just make a scion. All in all though the changes to dots means I won't be even contemplating that character for two more weeks, and will spend the time with other characters and on the new hardcore league.

"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
Spoiler
"
iao wrote:

If I remember correctly we were both working on our builds at the same time, and then both posted in the Poison Arrow feedback thread. So yeah, technically we both came upon the idea, and this is a combination of both of them. =p

As for shocking, I'd say it's possible even in groups. You'd just need a high level skill gem. I recommend Shock Nova because its high damage potential, and because its gem quality bonus is amazing. As soon as you get the hang of its targeting and deadzone, it's pretty good.

Anyways, good luck with your character man!

Edit: By the way, would you mind making a new video after you respec? I'd love to be able to show how powerful it'll be once 1.0.0 is released, I just can't record anything while playing. =/

Yeah I do remember that actually, man that was a while ago.

Once I figure out how I will be making my character and get everything set I'll try to make a new video. It won't be exactly like yours but I'll try to show it off.

I just hope I don't fully respec and regear then 2 weeks later they go and change everything about how DoT's work.

I was trying to see if I could have enough damage with the Thunderfist gloves and Frenzy + Ele Prolif + Wep Ele Dmg + Faster Attacks. Don't know though... gonna see if I can get a near 20/20 shock nova and test it or something.

I still have this which is perfect with the lightning damage. Well, the lightning damage might not matter anyway if I just use shock nova.

4L in the Thunderfist I guess would be Shock Nova + Conc Effect + Ele Prolif + Faster Cast?

Still trying to buy an empower gem....

Yesh man that's fine. I don't expect you to make the same build or anything but the general idea would be cool to put in video so people know how effective they can be.

I also have a character I'm putting aside to be made into the future version of this build, but it might be necessary to do it with a Scion. Well, at least it might be optimal. Anyways, I'll be waiting for the DoT change as well.

same name in-game
"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
Spoiler
So I got a 20/20 shock nova and was testing it. Got to where I could shock white/blues easily... when solo.

Still couldn't really shock rares+ though, so I imagine in a group it's just waste of effort. It would be amazing to be able to shock everything... but I don't think having enough damage to do that is viable, or the amount of effort it would take to get to that point would be worth it. That's my opinion anyway....

Got me to thinking of what I could do with the new skills (cast when damage taken).

There is lots of +fire dmg (80 something) available around maurader / witch / templar AOE

Could try doing something like Cast when dmg taken / molten shell / conc effect / iron will

Then that got me to thinking about:

Immortal call + inc duration + enduring cry + cast when dmg taken...

Now if you had duration passives, this combo seems like it could potentially be broken, and recast itself often enough to just make you immune to physical forever?

I doubt I'm the first to think of that, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Edit: I was thinking something along these lines, for the molten shell idea. Of course, this is as a maurader because that's what my guy is. Could be done with a duelist as well. My build is a lot different from yours though as I'm using a Kaom's instead of that chaos dmg chest. Seems like it could be pretty fun with molten shell blowing up stuff and the defense from it too. Goes well with my build idea anyway, since my guy is meant to be more of a tank, whereas your build seems to be more offensive.

You don't mind me posting this stuff right? It's kind of cluttering the thread I suppose, but I like to theorycraft and seeing other people's ideas too. Things are changing a lot with the new tree also since we can't go through the middle, and new skills.

The key with Shock Nova is to use Iron Will with a lot of Strength and Lightning Penetration so you can shock just about any normal and champion mob, however in high level maps it's more based on the RNG with Shock Nova's damage range.

I've been thinking of the Immortal Call and Enduring Cry idea as well for the new version, as I've always wanted to fit them in but didn't have enough links to do it. Because the aura change I'm considering dropping some of the auras, leaving a 4L available to use the exact socket link you mentioned, hahaha... Before, it was difficult to cast even Enduring Cry because of all the skills needed to make the build work but now it's just automated.

Also about Death's Oath, I'm planning on dropping it anyways. The Blood Dance I'll keep because the insane life regeneration but I want to switch to a Carcass Jack to be able to use Concentrated Effect with Poison Arrow (if the combination will work) and have enough area of effect radius. Also, Kaom's Heart is indeed a great choice because the only necessary 6L is on your bow.

And I don't mind at all if you post your ideas. Usually I make these kinds of threads for theorycraft discussion, because that's what I find most fun about the game. Well, that and playing unique characters people come up with.
same name in-game
"
SEOINAGE wrote:
Some good ideas, and I love that sword.
Honestly the not going through the middle anymore really changed how my routing for how I was going to make my PA character would be. But I guess if you need to go through the middle you just make a scion. All in all though the changes to dots means I won't be even contemplating that character for two more weeks, and will spend the time with other characters and on the new hardcore league.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I really want to fool around with some Mana Shield builds when 1.0.0 comes, and will probably do so in the Nemesis league. I'll just wait to make a new character or make it with one of my high enough level characters with a free respec.

If this kind of build is indeed better as a Scion then I'll also be making it in the Nemesis league, because after enough time people will have level 2/3 Empowers to be bought. In fact, that'll probably be done even more quickly in the new leagues than the standard ones.
same name in-game
Hey guys, I find this viper strike build very interesting and I had some questions for people who are most experienced with it.

Basically I'm running a witch build that is quite good at destroying big packs of monsters, but my single target damage is its biggest drawback at the moment. I can basically kill everything fairly well in maps except for the "resist elemental" bosses/rares. So I'm thinking about trying out a viper strike/bear trap-vunerability on my weapon swap.

I was curious how well a +3 sword with empower/viperstrike/multistrike would do single target vs bosses in maps. I would also have a shield with vunerability>bear trap on it.

Mostly I'm just looking for a way to deal with those pesky resist elemental bosses/rares and was curious how well a level 23 viper strike would do vs this.
IGN- FrOArrow
"
FearTHeFrO wrote:
Hey guys, I find this viper strike build very interesting and I had some questions for people who are most experienced with it.

Basically I'm running a witch build that is quite good at destroying big packs of monsters, but my single target damage is its biggest drawback at the moment. I can basically kill everything fairly well in maps except for the "resist elemental" bosses/rares. So I'm thinking about trying out a viper strike/bear trap-vunerability on my weapon swap.

I was curious how well a +3 sword with empower/viperstrike/multistrike would do single target vs bosses in maps. I would also have a shield with vunerability>bear trap on it.

Mostly I'm just looking for a way to deal with those pesky resist elemental bosses/rares and was curious how well a level 23 viper strike would do vs this.

It should help out a bit but you're probably better off using just Bear Trap with damage boosting supports, such as Added Fire Damage and Culling Strike.
same name in-game
Do u have news about this build after 1.0.2 patch?
Your math is way off, the "take Increased Damage from DoTs" from vulnerability is just that, an Increase in Damage Taken, exactly like Shock except only for DoTs. This means it stacks additively with Shock stacks for DoTs. In addition, you have the old value of 40% Increased Damage Taken for Shock instead of the current 30%. 3 Shock stacks + Vulnerability should thus be 14461.48 per second, about 5k a second less that your post.

Of course, with the new DoT scaling in place a lot about the build has probably changed. And even more will change with the 1.0.3 that adds skill nodes for DoTs/Chaos damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info