Ranger - How to make a viable build

"

Hoy,

Some things are really strange in your build :
- Why so much hp ? I find 1k5 really enough as long as you are not walking into a troops of charging rhoas.
- You have not taken the Aura reserved manacost reduction group, which is really near your chosen nodes.
- You havn't taken Might (Near the Savant node down). +30 Str on the road, especially with Grip, is not neglictable
- Master Fletcher is only 2 nodes far, this is still a huge bonus with a correct bow and split arrow/LA (And it would get you a crit dmg multiplier, this is what you seek do you ?)
- I would have taken Elementalist (above catalyze), because you lack intelligence, and its still +10 elem dmg.

What do you think ?
-

Hi mate.

At higher levels and rare map mods, HP is critical. You need to be able to survive a ganking by rhoas, vipers or flicker spiders. I'm not talking about normal game, I'm talking about in rare maps where mobs have deadly mods on them.

I have 1.7k HP and that's barely enough. The mana cost reduction nodes would have to sacrifice 3 other nodes, which I don't want to sacrifice.

The mana reduction nodes are not that important for me. I only need enough mana so that I can spam Lightning Arrow with mana leech support gem. With 150 or more mana available after aura reservation that's enough for me.

Master Fletcher and Might are not very additive to my build. They add much less DPS than either i) the elemental damage nodes ii) the IAS nodes or (even) iii) the 20% accuracy nodes - I've tested them using regrets. My gear is mainly elemental, which is probably why.

Crit Damage Multipliers are useful for when I use my diamond flasks for bosses or tough rares. I do not rely on crit chance - I use diamond flasks when I really have to dish out damage quickly.

Re the 10% elemental damage node above on the left - I was tempted to get it, and I may still swap out of my 8%armour/evasion nodes to get it, but I haven't decided yet.

When you're in the 70s, survivability rather than damage becomes very important at the margin. I lose about an hour of xp grind or more if/when I die.

Hope this helps.

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Aug 3, 2012, 7:38:07 AM
Thank you for answering ;)

Is damages dealt by monsters exponential with the map levels ?
I'm actually lvl 65, doing my way into rare lvl 60 maps, and the only thing that really can kill me is a bunch of rhoas supported by a necro (if i don't have the time to temporal chain them all). I've only 1k hp. Will rhoas oneshot me one upper level maps ?

Ok for Might and Master Fletcher. I understand now that it is not the skill that matters for an elem build (except ele arrow) but the stuff !
IGN - Elyzim
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I've sorted out the mana issue I had by spending two incremental skill points.

After much deliberation, this is my post 0.9.11 elemental bow build. I was disappointed not to be able to pick up unwavering stance, due to the stun avoidance - but I'm not really sure how big a deal stun avoidance is anyway for a ranged character.

Petrov's 0.9.11 Elemental Bow Ranger

Key attributes:
- 83 points used
- 164 Str / 230 Dex / 44 Int (you can get 30 more int by spending two incremental skill points)
- Iron Reflexes / Iron Grip
- 36% increased mana (VIP unless you have 2 or more +mana
enchants on your gear!)
- 108% + Evasion
- 150% + Life
- 110% + Weapon Elemental Damage
- 84% + Armour
- 38% + Max Energy Shield (life enhancer!)
- 8% Fire/Cold Resist
- 18% IAS
- 39% Projectile Damage
- 20% + Accuracy Rating

With my setup, no +mana on gear, this gives me around 200 free mana after running three auras (335 reserved for those).

I think this is a very balanced mix of offence and defence. The only thing it really lacks is crit dmg multipliers (had to ditch 70% worth), but I still have over 300% from gear anyway, so nothing survives long against crit flasks, even act 2 boss only needs two flasks to kill.

Key skill is:
- Lightning Arrow or Split Arrow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Faster Attacks + Mana Leech + IIQ/Crit Dmg

Auras:
- Each of Wrath / Grace / Discipline + Reduced Mana Cost

Petrov.

I have seen this build from a friend in action and i am totally impressed!

Rerolled from with to ranger coz of this :))

Petrov, would you mind posting your items here just to see what gems you using? Thanks and more power!
IGN IndianPana Level 69 Ranger
I guess my ranger is a pretty basic build for a physical dmg character.

the basic characteristics are high health, high attack speed, Iron reflexes.

link to the build

the upper part worth 4 skill points where I get 30% lightning dmg and 8% health I am regretting and exchanging for four nodes that give me:

Piercing + 90% enhanced critical strike chance
which is pretty solid imo for this build

or

1 dex and 3 ele dmg nodes (+30 ele dmg) if I decide to switch to ele and go blackgleam (50% of phys converted to fire) and get some %ele dmg gear - which would increase my dps by a lot, but then again other ele ranger builds are better for that than mine like Mr. Petrov's.

77 points used
this give me:
84 Str / 310 Dex / 54 Int
- Iron Reflexes
- 92% + Evasion
- 148% + Life - will be 140% when I regret one node
- 24% + Armour
- 35% + IAS
- 102% + Projectile Damage
- 52% + Accuracy Rating

with my current gear
gear
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

I have 2.7k hp, 420 mana, 12.5k armor with grace aura (only aura I use) and around 3 attack speed.

what I use:
poison arrow as main AoE skill (with LMP, life gain on hit, faster attacks, mana leech)
elemental hit as my one hit dps skill to kill of tougher mobs and bosses (with life leech, added ele dmg and item quantity)

with poison arrow I do 1.5 k dps
with ele hit I do the same but ele hit is not calculated in the dps shown.

I rarely run out of mana as long as I hit mobs even with 1-2 poison arrows I am good due to the mana leech support and mana leech on equipment.

Heath is never an issue even if I run in the center of the group I rarely need to run away or die due to life leech and life gain on hit and my relatively high health for ranger (at least I think so).

Nothing special about the build just felt the need to post it :)

items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
Last edited by missuse on Aug 27, 2012, 9:43:23 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Ty for the tips in this thread helped me learn a lot more about the game in general skill points wise.
GG, GGG! I can finally be the flamethrowing psycho Marauder I've always dreamt to be! Wish they had a hockey mask MTX & a gore scorching ray skill gem MTX mmmm one can hope!
Anyone here tried a summoning heavy build? Its quite easy to get (two int passives [60int]) then you just sink the rest of your passives in attack speed and life.

Rangers spamming poison arrow are easy enough, now imagine a horde of undead defending that ranger (which you can heal with your flasks).

I've died a couple times as a ranger but now I am hitting my stride as a summon ranger.
thought about this build

CI - ele renager

the characteristics of the build
81 points used
184 str
220 dex
174 int

28% max mana
20% mana regen
133,8% ES
30% ES cooldown recovery
8% fire res
8% cold res

20% attack speed with bows
40% accuracy rating with bows
128,8% phys dmg with bows
110% ele dmg
15% increased crit dmg multi

build has a lot of dps
with decent enough ES gear (is it possible to get like 2000k ES from gear?)I think it can get up to 6k ES which is huge. if you get 1500 ES from gear than than your total ES would be 3.5k - which is might a bit low - any CI users with their experience?

It is possible to get 38% more ES by investing 6 more points which could be taken from bow dmg and accuracy node for a whipping 171,5% ES while loosing 40% bow accuracy and 23% phy dmg and 15% crit mulitplayer

with this much int and 28% to mana, should have quite a bit of firing power

what do you think?
items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
Last edited by missuse on Aug 29, 2012, 5:27:20 AM
Can we get a link for an up to date build for petrovs ranger build please?
"
Mcveigh wrote:
Can we get a link for an up to date build for petrovs ranger build please?

Trying to create a build with the mentioned values just for fun.

29 Points left

Key values
174 Str 240 Dex 44 Int
36% max mana
168% max life

186% incr Eva
84% incr Ar
38% incr ES

10% IAS
39% Proj Dmg
110% Elem Weapon Dmg

I havent played a range ryet, but i really like the stats.
That's actually a very interesting build sintflut. I wouldn't have thought to go so far into the Templar tree. But it seems to be very viable with the pick up of Iron Grip. Not to mention the 80% increased ele damage and the other health nodes along the way. I'm going to try out something similar to this.
Fuck this game
Last edited by Torquebow on Dec 19, 2012, 6:27:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info