Ranger - How to make a viable build

jackal, I looked into ditching blood magic and getting catalyze, but with my current gear I'd only have 60 mana reserved which isn't quite enough. I could get 28% of reduced mana cost of skills nodes (and ditch the crit dmg multiplier nodes), which might help.
Just a general tip for the new 9.11 build tree.

Players who consider getting Iron Reflexes should definitely invest in the Duelist tree area as off to the left are some VERY GOOD nodes to invest in:

1. Mana Flows pocket nodes
2. Leather and Steel pocket nodes
> +30Dex stat node
3. Fury Bolts pocket nodes
4. Master Fletcher pocket nodes
5. Deadeye pocket nodes (not really necessary but nice)

The Might (+30str) and Savant (+30Int) nodes are also very nice to pick up to bolster general defense. I highly recommend players to pick these nodes up for all around survivability. The best part is that if you move to the left, you have easy access way to the center of the entire skilltree or further access into the Duelist tree.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I've sorted out the mana issue I had by spending two incremental skill points.

After much deliberation, this is my post 0.9.11 elemental bow build. I was disappointed not to be able to pick up unwavering stance, due to the stun avoidance - but I'm not really sure how big a deal stun avoidance is anyway for a ranged character.

Petrov's 0.9.11 Elemental Bow Ranger

Key attributes:
- 83 points used
- 164 Str / 230 Dex / 44 Int (you can get 30 more int by spending two incremental skill points)
- Iron Reflexes / Iron Grip
- 36% increased mana (VIP unless you have 2 or more +mana
enchants on your gear!)
- 108% + Evasion
- 150% + Life
- 110% + Weapon Elemental Damage
- 84% + Armour
- 38% + Max Energy Shield (life enhancer!)
- 8% Fire/Cold Resist
- 18% IAS
- 39% Projectile Damage
- 20% + Accuracy Rating

With my setup, no +mana on gear, this gives me around 200 free mana after running three auras (335 reserved for those).

I think this is a very balanced mix of offence and defence. The only thing it really lacks is crit dmg multipliers (had to ditch 70% worth), but I still have over 300% from gear anyway, so nothing survives long against crit flasks, even act 2 boss only needs two flasks to kill.

Key skill is:
- Lightning Arrow or Split Arrow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Faster Attacks + Mana Leech + IIQ/Crit Dmg

Auras:
- Each of Wrath / Grace / Discipline + Reduced Mana Cost

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 28, 2012, 8:23:09 AM
Yeah, i picked up Iron Reflexes and find it much more effective.
"
jackals1234 wrote:

jackal, one thing I like about Blood Magic/Life Leech is that I dont have to manage my health very actively, as long as I'm doing damage my health is usually topped up.

However, ditching blood magic and life leech would mean I guess I would be virtually continually popping life flasks to keep my health up - is that what you find?

Petrov.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
"
jackals1234 wrote:

jackal, one thing I like about Blood Magic/Life Leech is that I dont have to manage my health very actively, as long as I'm doing damage my health is usually topped up.

However, ditching blood magic and life leech would mean I guess I would be virtually continually popping life flasks to keep my health up - is that what you find?

Petrov.

Not really since most stuff dies before it gets to you so you aren't getting hit much. When you run into ranged/casters or snakes/rhoas i just use seething/panicked flasks and it's mostly a non-issue. You kill stuff so fast, your flasks are full most of the time anyway.

In my experience, anything that would kill you without blood magic, would kill you with it.
Nice post. Helped me lots. thanks
Jackel,
Could you please share your current build?
Also, when starting out what should be the main focus, go for Iron Reflexes first or head over to Iron Grip?

Btw, thank you to Mrpetrov and yourself for sharing your insights with us.
IGN Greymulkin, Halycon
Last edited by mattus0613 on Aug 2, 2012, 11:56:02 AM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I've sorted out the mana issue I had by spending two incremental skill points.

After much deliberation, this is my post 0.9.11 elemental bow build. I was disappointed not to be able to pick up unwavering stance, due to the stun avoidance - but I'm not really sure how big a deal stun avoidance is anyway for a ranged character.

Petrov's 0.9.11 Elemental Bow Ranger

Key attributes:
- 83 points used
- 164 Str / 230 Dex / 44 Int (you can get 30 more int by spending two incremental skill points)
- Iron Reflexes / Iron Grip
- 36% increased mana (VIP unless you have 2 or more +mana
enchants on your gear!)
- 108% + Evasion
- 150% + Life
- 110% + Weapon Elemental Damage
- 84% + Armour
- 38% + Max Energy Shield (life enhancer!)
- 8% Fire/Cold Resist
- 18% IAS
- 39% Projectile Damage
- 20% + Accuracy Rating

With my setup, no +mana on gear, this gives me around 200 free mana after running three auras (335 reserved for those).

I think this is a very balanced mix of offence and defence. The only thing it really lacks is crit dmg multipliers (had to ditch 70% worth), but I still have over 300% from gear anyway, so nothing survives long against crit flasks, even act 2 boss only needs two flasks to kill.

Key skill is:
- Lightning Arrow or Split Arrow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Faster Attacks + Mana Leech + IIQ/Crit Dmg

Auras:
- Each of Wrath / Grace / Discipline + Reduced Mana Cost

Petrov.

Hoy,

Some things are really strange in your build :
- Why so much hp ? I find 1k5 really enough as long as you are not walking into a troops of charging rhoas.
- You have not taken the Aura reserved manacost reduction group, which is really near your chosen nodes.
- You havn't taken Might (Near the Savant node down). +30 Str on the road, especially with Grip, is not neglictable
- Master Fletcher is only 2 nodes far, this is still a huge bonus with a correct bow and split arrow/LA (And it would get you a crit dmg multiplier, this is what you seek do you ?)
- I would have taken Elementalist (above catalyze), because you lack intelligence, and its still +10 elem dmg.

What do you think ?
-
IGN - Elyzim
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

Don't go purely into offense or defense!

Totaly disagree with this. If u playing in hp build offense from weapon, jewelry and support gems more then enough, but defensive gear is underpowered atm. So going for pure defense isn't bad choice. Other situation with CI builds, u can pick like 10-15 ES passives and go for pure offense.
Here is my sword+board ranger build, i think 75 lvl means that build viable, only 20 points on offense that i picked only after lvl 50.
Last edited by ykyshaeq on Aug 3, 2012, 1:34:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info