Default Attack - How often do you use it?

Subject says it all. How often do you use your default attack, lets say past level 20-30 or so? I find that on all of my characters I end up replacing it with a low cost single target damaging ability (Double Strike, Elemental Hit, Heavy Strike, etc).

I'm curious to see if there are others out there that continue using their default attack into later levels.
Diamond Supporter since 2012-04-24.
Rarely. Only when I run out of mana accidentally.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Nope. Specially due to Normal Attack not being even upgradable. With gems you can makes any ridiculous one target skill beter, as you can link it even with just one faster attacks support gem.

Good topic.
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
Rarely. Only when I run out of mana accidentally.

This is what I suspect, I'm looking to gather some more info, but I doubt the responses from others will be much different.

I'm still considering potential implementations of my unique for the Diamond package. I've been thinking of making a weapon which has a special effect that occurs when using default attack, forcing the user to choose between the special effect granted by the item, or using a normal active skill instead.

For me, due to the limitation of slots for skills (mouse keys, QWERT) this would be a tough decision as I like to use a lot of skills on my characters.

I want to have an appropriate tradeoff for my item, and this was a unique one that popped in my head after a discussion with some friends of mine.
"
Grundnir wrote:
I've been thinking of making a weapon which has a special effect that occurs when using default attack, forcing the user to choose between the special effect granted by the item, or using a normal active skill instead.

For me, due to the limitation of slots for skills (mouse keys, QWERT) this would be a tough decision as I like to use a lot of skills on my characters.

I want to have an appropriate tradeoff for my item, and this was a unique one that popped in my head after a discussion with some friends of mine.

One way of doing that could be "X effect while at full mana", although that might be circumvented (and therefore overpowered) if it worked with Blood Magic as-is.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
What sort of weapon were you planning on Melee or ranged? Personally I like the idea for a bow. The tree has a lot of clumped crit nodes. Same could be said for other weapons, but bow would be my choice. Any hints what you are planning on?
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Only time I use regular attack is when I forget to rebind my attack key after I've been rearranging my gems.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
Last edited by TJJ on Jun 20, 2012, 2:38:58 PM
I always replace default, everybody should.

"
Grundnir wrote:
I've been thinking of making a weapon which has a special effect that occurs when using default attack, forcing the user to choose between the special effect granted by the item, or using a normal active skill instead.

Excellent idea!
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
What sort of weapon were you planning on Melee or ranged? Personally I like the idea for a bow. The tree has a lot of clumped crit nodes. Same could be said for other weapons, but bow would be my choice. Any hints what you are planning on?

Melee.

In fact, I may as well expose myself as the League of Legends nerd I am. I really fell in love with that game over the last year (and the only thing to break my streak of playing that game was Path of Exile). I finally found my calling when the Nautilus Champion was introduced.

He uses a freaking boat anchor as a weapon, and I love him to death. I'm thinking of making an item based around his anchor and possibly using something that mimics one of his abilities. I could see this being either a two handed axe or mace.

Current ideas that I've been discussing with some friends of mine:
On hit, the enemy is rooted in place (can still attack, but not move, this mimics Nautilus' passive ability in some regard).
Possibly a mini-cleave that occurs on every default attack. This would mimic Nautilus' attacks when he has his shield on from his W, swinging the anchor in big arcs.
Probably a bit of a stretch mechanically, but we've also tossed around the idea of if the enemy you go to attack is within a certain range, it puls them to you (this would mimic Nautilus' Q). I'm not sure how feasible that is mechanically though.

Obviously the weapon wouldn't do all of these, but I'm currently thinking of picking one of these as an effect the weapon does when a default attack is used. Any weapon-based skill that is used would just do its normal effect.
Never played LoL but....

I like the "root" idea, fits well with an anchor.

And really like the "pull" idea. PoE currently has plenty of abilities to "close the gap" by moving the character, but none(I can think of) that bring the mob to you.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info