Question about possible lower graphics options

I did search, and saw some questions about it, but I don't think I ever saw any dev responses. Does anybody know if they plan on offering lower graphical options in the future, such as turning off particle effects, and lower res textures, etc.?
I run a 570. When I'm in Maelstrom with electricity spammers, it stutters a lot and I can't keep track of the mouse pointer. It doesn't seem to matter how much I turn down the graphics.

The graphics engine needs to be more efficient or we need to be able to turn down graphics significantly. If a card that cost $250 last year can't play a D2 style game smoothly, there's something wrong with the game, not the card.
I tend to have MAJOR framerate drop and stuttering in the Shipyard Graves and Fellshire Shrine. These two areas seem to be graphics intensive for some reason, and I'm running a vidcard with a 512MB VRAM and competent GPU.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Islidox wrote:
I'm running a vidcard with a 512MB VRAM and competent GPU.

They still make those? O_o
I directly asked chris the same question twice in a single thread and was ignored both times. If they intend to do it they certainly are not telling anyone about.
"
Pixelmancer wrote:
"
Islidox wrote:
I'm running a vidcard with a 512MB VRAM and competent GPU.

They still make those? O_o

Haha, I'm on a laptop, so I'm not equipped with the best components.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
My ideas:

1) Add Bilinear Filtering - I know it's not a huge difference but our only options are Trilinear and various levels of AA? Every little bit helps.

2) Some method to tone down spell / gem / skill effects from yourself, other players and mobs. - As others have said, there is a definitely slow down in the game when more than one or two effects are taking place on screen. This happens on low end GPU's as well as more higher end GPU's. It's one reason some of us still play solo because a full party of players all casting abilities, plus mobs, can chug the game to a crawl often.

3) Some method to lower texture quality even further than is currently available. - We all like eye candy, but if it helps gain frame rates a little higher, then do so.

4) Some method to disable dynamic lighting, specular lighting, etc. - Honestly this one should be default in the game. Dynamic lighting can really chug game play if there's a lot of light sources all trying to be visible at once.

5) Some method to disable *all* shadows. - Maybe it's just me but even with shadows turned "off" there are certain things in game that still get a small shadow drawn for them, usually when near a light source. Not sure if they are all not disabled or if its some other graphical thing that is creating them.
"
hacintosh wrote:
I directly asked chris the same question twice in a single thread and was ignored both times. If they intend to do it they certainly are not telling anyone about.
Actually, they have said that they plan to optimize at some point. Just because the devs don't reply to every single question doesnt mean that it hasnt been discussed or that you are being ignored.
"
Maverickroll wrote:
My ideas:

1) Add Bilinear Filtering - I know it's not a huge difference but our only options are Trilinear and various levels of AA? Every little bit helps.

2) Some method to tone down spell / gem / skill effects from yourself, other players and mobs. - As others have said, there is a definitely slow down in the game when more than one or two effects are taking place on screen. This happens on low end GPU's as well as more higher end GPU's. It's one reason some of us still play solo because a full party of players all casting abilities, plus mobs, can chug the game to a crawl often.

3) Some method to lower texture quality even further than is currently available. - We all like eye candy, but if it helps gain frame rates a little higher, then do so.

4) Some method to disable dynamic lighting, specular lighting, etc. - Honestly this one should be default in the game. Dynamic lighting can really chug game play if there's a lot of light sources all trying to be visible at once.

5) Some method to disable *all* shadows. - Maybe it's just me but even with shadows turned "off" there are certain things in game that still get a small shadow drawn for them, usually when near a light source. Not sure if they are all not disabled or if its some other graphical thing that is creating them.

Very well said!
A lot of these things will be added in the "polish" stages of the game. Currently they are more concerned about content and bug fixes. They have stated that they will optimize stuff. Also, devs can not respond to every thread. They will not always respond if somebody has already given the correct information.
They said I was mad! They said it couldn't be done! But now who's mad?!?!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info