Mark "Neon" is a based gigachad god

"
mnieradko wrote:
"
You talk about a dude that has multiple lvl100 HC characters, some demis from races he won and that plays the fkn game better than 99% of forum dwelers.

Cool, then his diverse in-game experience should lead to a person that is keenly aware of the different issues present for different archetypes in different content in POE. We shouldn't have to summarize anything for him, unless that is request is born out of a perspective of a) ignorance or b) "melee is fine if you just play all the time and have tons of currency".

If he was incompetent in-game, then I would view his recent requests more positively, but even in that case, how long can you feign ignorance?

He is experienced player so he knows melee is fine. Game is not balanced around day 1 gear and will never be. Maybe start working on yourself instead crying that X needs to be buffed because its not good enough for you.
"
mnieradko wrote:

Cool, then his diverse in-game experience should lead to a person that is keenly aware of the different issues present for different archetypes in different content in POE. We shouldn't have to summarize anything for him, unless that is request is born out of a perspective of a) ignorance or b) "melee is fine if you just play all the time and have tons of currency".

If he was incompetent in-game, then I would view his recent requests more positively, but even in that case, how long can you feign ignorance?

Jonathan Rogers is in charge of POE2 development? All recent playthroughs show the melee experience there in leveling to be agaonizing compared to anything present in POE1. Am I also to assume that Jonathan shares the same "melee is fine" perspective of Mark, or that Jonathan even views the current situation of melee as more positive (powerful) than Mark does, such that an even worse melee experience is warranted in POE2?

If so, then wow, just wow. The more one ponders this situation, the more baffled one gets at how development reached this point.

PoE2 is completely different game, with different combat flow. There is no point in discussing it before we actualy play it.

Nobody in GGG ever said that melee is fine but you disregard the fact that self-casting is even worse. Channeling skills, what even is that? Maybe start comparing melee to those instead of outliers? What would be the point in buffing melee only for it to end up as the only way to play like we had in Legion? What melee needs is more streamlined gear progression not just brainless dmg buffs. It can kill any boss within 0.1s on the top end afterall. But how to make it so it wont benefit meta skills that are already op? Thats the problem.
Last edited by kuciol on Mar 28, 2024, 4:23:07 AM
"
Aynix wrote:
He is experienced player so he knows melee is fine.

It is anything but fine.

Removing multi-mod crafting made melee much more expensive. I used to craft my own swords, 2 of the same, for my Impale build where that cost me 12ex per sword. (Edit: This was back in 3.7 Legion, which was the only league where I ever bothered with more than 38 challenges, because it was so fun to play Cleave.) No extra trade needed after I bought the bricked T1 attack speed bases from mirror weapon crafters for 1ex each. After multi-mod was removed, the base alone cost me between 10ex and 20ex. And crafting to the same level was much more difficult because you couldn't remove the meta mod and were stuck with a missing suffix.

Fortify was changed from additive to multiplicative due to deep Delve OP caster builds. Huge change. My Champion lost like 20-25% total defense from that alone after that patch. They also removed Fortify effect nodes and from gear, then later changed it to this garbage stack system that pressures you even more. Now, I only use Fortify when I play a Champion.

They removed "stat sticks", but they still exist for off-hand skills such as Shield Charge etc.

They nerfed base attack time multipliers for skills. No more 20 APS builds by just building around Multistrike, which they also heavily nerfed. It used to have 94% more Attack Speed at lvl 20 and 30% less damage. Now it has 44% more Attack Speed and scales damage with repeats. And speed is what melee needs to feel good. Otherwise you are too slow to keep up with content scaling and make yourself vulnerable to enemies.

Then... there's fucking totems. Goddamn fucking totems. How I hate it so much. Stupid Ancestral Protector gives me like 20% total DPS, yet it dies when a boss farts in its direction. Remember, they also heavily nerfed totem life by like half or maybe more, so that thing needs totem scaling to not die non-stop, which isn't feasible at all when you need to scale melee and passives are tight af.

Accuracy is still a thing. Not only do you need to invest into damage and defense, you need to make sure you can actually hit enemies while you are stuck between their butt cheeks. Most melee builds I've seen since the changes now focus on killing everything before it reaches you. Just look at current Cleave builds. Makes me cringe a little.

Melee sucks compared to anything else. Nothing you could argue that proves the opposite. I don't want melee to be OP, I want it back on a level it used to be, where you could build the needed defense and still have decent damage.

All my preferred melee builds I made in the past now deal at least 3-5x less damage, have like half the defense, so why the fuck would I want to play it? I still try, from time to time, but it never feels good anymore.
Original creator of the "Poor Man's Ward Loop" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3480922
Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit, i7-13700K 5.30GHz
PNY RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X, 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36
Samsung 980 Pro, Seasonic Prime GX 850W Gold
Last edited by BaumisMagicalWorld on Mar 28, 2024, 4:44:53 AM
Yes. Melee is expensive. So just farm some more. You have 4 months in a league.
Simple solution, you welcome.
All your complaining shows very clearly that you do not like melee. If you liked melee, you would just overcome those simple obstacles and enjoy playing melee, like a lot of people. (I never had any problems playing melee, more than that, my melee builds a lot of times felt much stronger than other builds)
You want to play strongest thing in the game. You keep comparing melee to other stuff, you keep saying why would you play melee if X is better.
Guess what. That question could apply to pretty much every skill in the game except few outliers that are "meta" every league.
Its YOU problem. Stop comparing what you play to other stuff/ Stop asking yourself "If I spend same budget on other skill, will it be stronger". Ask yourself "is this build strong and fun to play".
Funny how literally EVERY SINGLE person on this Forum who complains that melee is bad always compare it to meta skills and say they can get better with same budget. They never complain that the build is not strong enough to just play the game (prolly because they never even tried playing it lmao)
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 28, 2024, 5:12:01 AM
Not to mention when he does melee hes completely fine once more HES LITERALLY one of the top players in HC and has won MULTIPLE demi's LOL he knows EXACTLY what hes doing.

It's why it's been spamming giga-chad because unlike most of you he plays and develops his game WITH more experience than basically all of you including me HENCE GIGA-CHAD.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
mnieradko wrote:
Am I also to assume that Jonathan shares the same "melee is fine" perspective of Mark, or that Jonathan even views the current situation of melee as more positive (powerful) than Mark does, such that an even worse melee experience is warranted in POE2?

If so, then wow, just wow. The more one ponders this situation, the more baffled one gets at how development reached this point.

if you are going to ridicule mark and jonathans views on the game maybe it might be an idea to actually watch the interviews they took the time to do for the community so that you actually know what their views are.

mark doesnt have a melee is fine perspective, and neither does jonathan. theyre both also human beings who are genuinely nice people and extremely knowledgeable about the game + game development in general.

marks from new zealand and sometimes people from nz and aus can have a deadpan no bs way about them that can seem a bit abrasive and come off as cold. im british and we can sometimes come off like that too, but he obviously has a lot of heart and cares deeply about the game, he wants the game to be amazing, hes a elite vet player.

i feel like we need to give these guys some respect and empathy, no dev team is putting out the amount of content per quarter that ggg are with a team that size. yeah melee has needed love for too long, yeah thats worthy of memeing on them a bit, theyve earned a bit of incoming banter. but we shouldnt lose sight of the fact theyre people who care doing their best, and their best is literally the greatest arpg ever made. no other arpg has ever been remotely close.
ok
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
Gopstop22 wrote:

so again based mark focusing on what 90% of players want not 10%

There were patches where a majority played melee,

this is false the only time it was true was legion league
Last edited by Gopstop22 on Mar 28, 2024, 6:25:57 AM
Think what you want, enjoy defending a game with one less option as if that is some great victory :p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info