Neon asked for a brief summery of melee's biggest problems w/ simple suggetions

"
punyavee wrote:
About melee accuaracy, I have an idea that would be help and it's definitely a nerf and even more brutal especially for evasion character that play melee.

Rework evasion against melee a bit like spell suppression that evaded melee attack still hit but deal a lot less damage and damage reduction from evaded hit might be depend on hit chance of that melee attack (for example, 30% hit chance is dealing 30% damage for evaded hit), and evaded melee hit cannot be crit (because it doesn't hit vital organ)

So melee can still hit even with low accuracy but it's also make uber slam always hit you if you don't get away.

but that wouldnt just make evasion works better than armor for melee hits?, since it would also work for elemental and chaos damage? and even better at that since you need less evasion rating to hit 95% evade chance than you need armor to get 90% reduction or i am understanding this wrongly or wrong about how hard it for armor to get 90% reduction since i never builde a character with much armor, only evasion/block characters, and if uber slam always hit you but you would reduce its damage by like 80% if you have that much dodge, it wouldnt be much dangerous i think
Last edited by suriuken on Mar 29, 2024, 4:50:30 AM
"
alhazred70 wrote:
Maybe its perceived as mission impossible because they've just constantly failed in ways that are measurable and pretty easy to point at?

Repeatedly doing the opposite of what would be mechanically sensible over and over has that effect sometimes.

I won't go defending GGGs absurd treatment of melee over the last years, it's so ridiculously bad that i won't even call it balancing.

That said, the ideas of most of the melee crowd in this forum are just as bad if not worse and GGG would ruin the game entirely if they tried to go along with it so it's likely never going to happen.

Melee is stuck between devs that don't care and a community that, for the most part, is about as loud as it is clueless on the matter. Great prospects.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Mar 29, 2024, 4:55:14 AM
evasion in end-endgame is useless. name me one ATTACK in ubers that can kill you. shaper slam is perfectly avoidable, it is on you.

what isnt avoidable (sorts of) are spells with penetration and DoTs. these two kill you. not attacks.

so evasion just leave it alone, such change makes something simple into something hard

there is an Accuracy Mastery "50% more accuracy at close range". this should be on by default. done, melee accuracy issues solved
Scanned the thread quickly and did not see the solution that I think Melee needs. It is simple: The biggest problem with PoE's combat is that is locks your movement when you attack. Be it spells or melee. So the solution is simple; add WASD to PoE1.

Mark did say it is doable, but could take a year. So I'd say do it. Convert all mobs and characters to the new rigging system, add simple animations for them and allow movement while attacking.

But after PoE2 is released I don't think I would play PoE1. In the year it takes to add WASD to PoE1, PoE2 would just rocket ahead.
"
Ruinu wrote:
Scanned the thread quickly and did not see the solution that I think Melee needs. It is simple: The biggest problem with PoE's combat is that is locks your movement when you attack. Be it spells or melee. So the solution is simple; add WASD to PoE1.

Mark did say it is doable, but could take a year. So I'd say do it. Convert all mobs and characters to the new rigging system, add simple animations for them and allow movement while attacking.

But after PoE2 is released I don't think I would play PoE1. In the year it takes to add WASD to PoE1, PoE2 would just rocket ahead.

Even if that were the case it doesn't matter what the best fix is if they can't implement it for over a year. It needs changes to make it playable now.

Melee also has scaling issues. If you took away replica alberons and brutus lead sprinkler melee would become an abomination
Last edited by Lonnie455Rich on Mar 29, 2024, 12:31:47 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:

there is an Accuracy Mastery "50% more accuracy at close range". this should be on by default. done, melee accuracy issues solved

this simply fix is really super effective that could be implement in game, solve everything about melee accuracy, even off-screen fake melee is can't get this benefit, which really good.
Last edited by punyavee on Mar 29, 2024, 1:45:04 PM
Melee accuracy issues will be solved when accuracy is removed from the game, precision is removed from the game, and all associated skill wheels are removed from the skill tree.

Stop living in the days of D2. If we're living in the days of D2, then let gearing up be rewarded for melee instead of still being constantly deleted by on-death effects, goatmen barrage, skeleton mage barrage, random off-screen barrage, or deadly AOE dark purple puddles on a dark purple terrain in a map/room with poor lighting IN A GAME THAT SOMEHOW HAS NO GAMMA CORRECTION.

No, we can't have nice things.

Accuracy and ancestral totems are like two drops in the ocean of garbage that is modern POE melee.
Last edited by mnieradko on Mar 29, 2024, 2:23:29 PM
There is the problem of perception as well. Melee builds are very popular as they usually are in most RPGs.

So when melee are good everyone but the pure caster variety play melee. This then looks like melee are too strong.

So it's not like Lacerate Glad from way back was so much better than DD clear. It's that it was fun to us. But when you nerf fun into the ground then it stops being fun and doesn't make DD more appealing to us either.

If 3.15+ remained the plan even builds like DD wouldn't survive the nerfs and nobody would want to play the game.

I've personally played since before minotaur league. I played D2 for two decades. So when people say well it's just not your thing they are sorely mistaken. They cope with these awful design decisions that nobody likes. We loved this game as it evolved. We funded its existence.

Well things change. Maybe the new owners are clued in here.
this is a suggestion thread just reminding
GGG isn't looking for suggestions. Those dev comments were just there to placate the remaining playerbase portion that still cares about endgame melee without an absurd budget available, but most of these players (including myself) see those comments for what they are, which amounts to nothing.

The simplest suggestions are undoing a number of horrible offensive and defensive melee changes that led us to this point, including making fortify a joke.

Stop trying to fix broken thing A by introducing thing B instead of unbreaking thing A.

You want a simple suggestion for ancestral totems? Make them immune to damage, last 30 seconds, and triple their base buff radius.

You want a simple suggestion for accuracy? Double the accuracy provided by any source of accuracy bonus, whether it be precision or accuracy on gear or an accuracy passive node.

You want a simple suggestion for fortify support? Increase its base duration to 20 seconds and its defensive buff to 30% from hits.

You want a simple suggestion for weapon scaling issues for those without an absurd budget? Take every level 60+ required unique weapon in the game that's clearly designed for a melee attack build (e.g. goblinedge unique dagger) and buff both its minimum and maximum damage 50% over whatever the values are now. For example, a unique 1h weapon with a maximum quality-buffed damage of 250 will now have a maximum qualify-buffed damage of 375.

You want a simple suggestion for attack gem scaling? Take every attack gem with a level 20 multiplier below 200% and make it over 200%. Throw it at a dartboard and pick a value of 210% or 235%, who cares.

You want a simple suggestion for attack gem speed? Take any melee attack gem with a weapon speed penalty and simply remove it, that's it.

Even these simple suggestions would still make melee a joke in most endgame environments.
Last edited by mnieradko on Mar 29, 2024, 5:07:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info