Sextants being removed is an awful change and recent changes are awful in general

personally i m ok with the removal of sextants.

the functionality was moved to scarabs.

in a sense WE ARE BEING NERFED. but with the removal of sextants, GGG has given PLENTY of tools to gain scarabs. its downright bonkers. instead of worrying about 2 resources you only worry about 1. and it doesnt end there, you can even reduce the scarabs that you dont want.
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by exsea on Mar 27, 2024, 5:02:33 AM
Honestly I think the sextant to scarab change is going to be an overall slight nerf, rolling and trading sextants was annoying, but trading for scarabs isn't better.

I think ultra minmaxers won't like losing 4 sextant mods compared to where they were before.

The player who never ran sextants won't notice much difference.

The players that needed atlas passives that have been rolled into scarabs are going to be hurting the most. They went from always having the buff, to now needed an item to activate it.

We don't know how common the special scarabs will be. If the "good" scarabs for your setup are rare, then it just won't be fun.

this change lives or dies with how clunky trade is, so... good luck.
This is an awful change if the scarabs weren't changed, now we have batshit insane scarabs that can do 50x more than sextants could, and as a balance, they removed the sextants. Imagine if you have the scarabs now and add the sextants on top of that then it would be too broken.

Trading for sextants was hella hard, when someone has a lot of stock they immediately get bought out and you have to wait for another person with a bunch of stock to come in or buy them little by little and that's just a time loss you could have used for mapping instead. Sextant rolling on the other hand is hell, I rolled thousands of sextants this league and the RNG aspect was disappointing.

The sextant change helps people do what they love instead of doing 500 things inside a map to min-max it lets you play with 1-2 min-maxed mechanics, quality over quantity in this league.
"
loweluis wrote:
This is an awful change if the scarabs weren't changed, now we have batshit insane scarabs that can do 50x more than sextants could, and as a balance, they removed the sextants. Imagine if you have the scarabs now and add the sextants on top of that then it would be too broken.

Trading for sextants was hella hard, when someone has a lot of stock they immediately get bought out and you have to wait for another person with a bunch of stock to come in or buy them little by little and that's just a time loss you could have used for mapping instead. Sextant rolling on the other hand is hell, I rolled thousands of sextants this league and the RNG aspect was disappointing.

The sextant change helps people do what they love instead of doing 500 things inside a map to min-max it lets you play with 1-2 min-maxed mechanics, quality over quantity in this league.

How was trading for sextants hard?? You sat there and purchased only BULK sextants? You can purchase 10-20 at a time from one person. Of course, it will be bought out if someone has 100+. That's a sacrifice in time most are willing to make if it means they have 8 different ways to modify a map as opposed to only 4 from the 4 slots on the map device.

This is also worse trade-wise. Before, you would only have to buy sextants in bulk and you can roll for sextant mods yourself. It usually only takes a couple of rolls to get the mods you want and you can settle for most mods sextants gave you.

Now, you have to HOPE that someone prices a scarab that you want at a decent price and the scarab that you want, will be priced higher, as opposed to a fixed price of a sextant that is priced based on the notion of it rolling any mod.

With your same logic of trading sextants being tedious, you can say the same and worse about the new scarabs because now instead of just searching for one thing (awakened sextant), you will have to go into the trade site and individually type out different scarab names, likely 4 different ones and then also hope that they will be priced decently so the friction in trade will remain either the same or worse.

Atlas-wise, you could argue sextants nerfs were compensated by the new atlas passive tree. Most of that compensation is done by adding new branches on that tree. This only means that you will need to allocate additional points there and the number of points did not increase other than that one notable that's adding 20 passive points but you can't use scarabs.

So on top of the sextants nerf, we are also being forced to move the atlas passive points to force some mechanics previously provided by sextants or master missions. Actually, that's a double nerf. while this might not affect all players in the same way, it greatly decreases customization for your mapping experience and PoE has always been famous for the variety of options it provides. Some might not see this now from just reading the change, but the change will be noticeably worse once you reach endgame in leagues. Standard players will notice this much faster but either way, you can tell without even testing from comparing the sextant mods to the small amount of variety you get from the new scarabs you get to use in only 4 slots from the map device.

Not to even mention having to pick up each different new scarab and having to store it adding to more item clutter.

This isn't a simplification of a system, it's a removal of choice disguised as a quality of life feature yet they know deep down what they really did to endgame juicing by removing the sextants. Read this over for me https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/List_of_sextant_mods

Now after reading that, go take a look at what you got with the new scarabs and tell me it's even close to what you had going with sextants. It's not. It's a worse system, a severe nerf to endgame juicing possibilities, and is another mechanic changed for a worse one.
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Standard>Leagues✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Make trade like the Grand Exchange from RuneScape✨🌀🔰🔶🔷

Let us zoom out more. Bring back: 32:9, Heist Alt Quality Gems, Sextants, Gear Enchanting, Prophecy, Perandus, Metamorph, Scourge, Sentinel, Kalandra & Crucible. Stop removing content from the game.
Last edited by MLGonthorian on Mar 28, 2024, 10:23:42 AM
"
loweluis wrote:

Yea trading for sextants was one of the more annoying things, their price was all over the place during the league. Yellow harvest sextant went from the 40c to over a divine and was massively overpriced in TFT bulk, the beyond one was a divine each and similarly overpriced in bulk, the strongbox 500% couldn't stay at one price for a single day, an additional conqueror map went from a divine to 40c, 8 mod corrupt went from a divine to 40c... these things are a perfect example of all the community complaints about trade.

The other thing with trading for these things is you would have to use TFT to buy them bulk, or sit there asking everyone you send a tell to if they have multiples, only to be replied with "only have 1", someone not speaking your language, or a bot.

Yea with the changes, especially with atlas presets, you can focus and not have this FOMO in a single map because of trying to specialize into too many different things, wasting extra time. These scarabs are CRACKED versus what we had before absolutely.

Such an amazing, useful recent change.
Bump your post as many times as you want. Its not like the Devs are changing anything your way anyways.

Generic I'm quitting/uninstalling post. Comes back to the game and none of the things they whined about changed their way. Only to whine about even more things.
"
MLGonthorian wrote:
This change is awful for various reasons.

For one, they now made it so you have to use a map device slot for a scarab that only provides 1 bonus. Whereas the sextants allowed you to add 4 different bonuses to a map without using a single map device slot.

Second, a complete clutter adder is what you get with the scarabs giving the mods of sextants instead.

Third, none of their "counter-balance" on the tree makes up even close to the power you lose when being able to modify the maps with your sextants.

This sextant/scarab change is just sextants with extra steps. How are people not seeing through what's really happening with this? The sextants existed OUTSIDE of the map device, it gave you 4 different modifiers you could add to your maps on the watchstones. That means you got 4 modifiers from your sextants AND 4 modifiers from your scarabs. You removed this and now replaced it with more item clutter via scarabs, yet we still only have 4 slots for scarabs on the map device. So we're getting worse modifiers on scarabs to accommodate the sextant mechanic you removed, yet we only have 4 slots on the map device to use the scarabs. How is no one commenting on this? I'm genuinely asking. I looked through the scarabs, in what way is this a better system than the sextants??

This is also worse trade-wise. Before, you would only have to buy sextants in bulk and you can roll for sextant mods yourself. It only takes a couple of rolls to get the mods you want usually and you can settle for most mods sextants gave you.

Now, you have to HOPE that someone prices a scarab that you want at a decent price and the scarab that you want, will be priced higher, as opposed to a fixed price of a sextant that is priced based on the notion of it rolling any mod.

Also, why did prophecies have to get removed if they accomplished a similar goal, you could roll prophecies for frogs, rats, tempests. Now you can't roll for frogs or rats. Tempests you can only get as a rare occurrence off of the map mods you have to pay for. It's going backwards in terms of options.

Why did Metamorph have to get removed? That was one of the few fun mechanics to run on a map. I don't understand what's happening anymore. This is just sad...

Flasks now have to be corrupted just to get some minor quality improvement.

Tattoos drop now, oh but just not in Standard and you can look forward to playing the league content in Standard 2-3 years from now. For the people who play Standard exclusively because we don't exist apparently.

Tornado shot not only nerfed numerically but also the entire animation changed to remove it as one of the few bow skills left in the game that is decent.

Soul eater ruined.

Oh and as always, the mtx available currently is going to get removed and replaced with new mtx as a FOMO tactic to get people to buy a pack of mtx out of the fear of missing out on it once it leaves the store.

Keeping track, Heist gems removed and replaced with niche non-useful trans gems, sextants removed, Harvest crafting removed. Enchanting from labyrinth removed. Enchanting jewels from Harvest removed. Frogs/rats and tempests from being able to use prophesies removed. Divination card using to get good items removed. Little to no previous leagues being re-added. Nerfs central as usual. Even Standard is not fun anymore and you would think that would be impossible to mess up.

I disagree respectfully.

Previous scarabs had mediocre power compared to new ones.

This is more streamlined given that you can have mechanic you want guaranteed to show in map.

Rolling or buying/selling sextants was something i bothered once. Never ever used them again pretty much.

Price of desired sextants was as everything else based on supply/demand.
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Mar 28, 2024, 10:36:21 AM
OP, you seem to live in an alternate reality mate.
Good riddance sextants!
a lot of ppl didnt notice the "limit" change for scarabs
depending on what scarab you use they have a limit from 1-4 which means you can do stuff like

3 scarabs that add essences and the scarab that increases the essence tier

i would say overall its a nerf for topend farmers and a buff for the avg player

another positive thing is that it is easier to "manage" since everything is now done in hte map device
People like you who complain about every change to a game before we've even had a chance to experience it are the reason devs sometimes are reluctant to interface with the player base. It is so toxic to just crap all over their work before you've even tried it. Like telling a painter they suck before they even show you the painting.

The game/meta etc are going to change over time, get over it and try to enjoy the game and the new things in each patch. If you're constantly living in the past and not enjoying POE then take a break...

Based on your flair and much of the first post - any changes would upset you. Good riddance to sextants, and I hope you wake up from your fever dream. The biggest endgame changes in years and you complain about it before even trying it.
I really like not having to buy or itemize sextants anymore but the loot in general just feels very bad. Scarabs being 95% of my loot doesn't feel correct. There's also no much room to use reliquary scarabs at least for the strategies I've been testing so I'm dropping almost no uniques. Currency drops are also very scarce. Like there's no good incentive for running maps as of now.

The changes have the potential to be good but they need some tuning. For example having an additional slot in the map device and balancing scarabs in terms of power and availability (i.e. Abyss Scarab of Edifice is mandatory for abyss to feel good), or introducing something like craftable voidstones, as we had watchstones back in the days.

Other changes such as nerfing Soul Eater and TS I think they are justified.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info