Should "powerful" uniques exist in PoE or any other "online" ARPG?

Ignoring that this is a kopo thread because the title is an interesting topic -

Personally I think they shouldn't have uniques above a certain level/performance, build enabling power is good and adds depth, so do chase uniques.

MB/HH are too far however for me, MB has a stat allocation that makes every other unique look like it was designed at a daycare crayon hour and it goes completely over build enabling into just being a crutch for basically anything.

HH is in a similar boat being a difficulty inverter which is ludicrously powerful due to how much we scale maps but I will say i'm alot softer on HH just because of how iconic it is to how PoE is played.

Other chase uniques are fine despite being very powerful, really well crafted rares tend to beat everything that isn't a unique modifier in any other slot.

Aspirational items are incredibly important to an ARPG you can't just remove them, crafting goals aren't the same as they are transient whereas a specific unique is a fixed objective.
my take on uniques is that they should fall under 2 categories

build enablers: low level uniques with special mods one can build around like pillar of the caged god

min-max uniques: high level uniques that trade everything for a single very powerful mod like kaom's heart

chase uniques are bad in the sense that they become best in slot

leveling uniques are useful on games that take a while to reach higher levels but POE is not one of those game so there is little use for a unique that is only useful for couple days at most.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

As long as the item does not break two rules;

The item is not -Required- to progress the games core. As much as you might want a Headhunter or Mageblood or whatever, PoE does not require either. They're wanted as much for status and their inherent rarity as much as their power. This excludes niche builds that are built around that item. The game -should- be completeable with rares in general.

The item is not gated by limited mechanics, i.e only ten ever drop, only the first player on a ladder, etc. This is just generating toxic FOMO. Even the uniques not getting shuffled into standard is some of this, and is an issue in PoE to me, but not to such a large degree that its a hostile design, as most uniques do get added to standard, and generally only uniques that tie in very tightly with the league don't. But it was a bit of a annoyance that the Kalandra base rings didn't get shuffled (even if they where never that good).

This isn't "You're playing offline? No 80% of the best rune words don't work then, get on ladder scrub." That D2 had as one of its black marks. And not an issue in the overall to me.
What?
"
Kopogero wrote:
@Aynix, if you understood the words you're using properly by its defined meaning, and read the thread carefully again, you'll notice there's no "complaining", because me and I'm sure many others, "we" simply do not care, because we don't feel a "defeat", a loss if someone end up higher ranked thanks to RNG luck and completed all the challenging content, while others were getting good hours of sleep. I simply display care by spending my time to discuss about this, and if players don't "care" about these "competitive" events, both to participate or observe it's bad for everyone, and overall for this particular game/product.

I also don't want to say their name, but a certain "melee" enjoyer streamer again decides to give up, quit days into the Gauntlet after the axe he was crafting "bricked", and I'm sure you can find the viral clip. Bottom line, if you were competing with/against anyone, like someone who's playing a game for the first time in their life, you may also found yourself losing, because it always comes down to the type of game, the rules in place, and what one can do to separate from its competitors.

I believe many within the community (including myself and others who enjoy competing) prefer events that promote, and reward "extraordinary" performance, compared to who's slept the least, and "sucked out" the most by getting Eternal Damnation upon their first or second Sanctum run, or some other powerful unique like Defiance of Destiny after killing some mobs in a mid (yellow) tier map.

Defiance of Destiny was introduced in Affliction, and despite the nerfs to Forbidden tome drop rates, it only means fewer players now can "suck out" and get those powerful uniques that GGG decided to keep permanently, and when you have other streamers who're "quitting" after their failed crafting, it just shows that RNG or "luck factor" should not be as impactful as currently is for the final rankings.

Firstly, you don't need to put quotation marks if you're not quoting someone. You're quoting a strawman, and it comes off as juvenile.

Secondly, you need to come off your high-horse: "...if you understood the words you're using properly by its defined meaning...I simply display care by spending my time to discuss about this..." this is just silly. Get to the point. This is not a thesis proposal.

Lastly, you'd assume one would recognise that the rules of an event determine how you approach it and prepare accordingly. If you can't do a 12-hour marathon, why join one to then simply scoff "...reward "extraordinary" performance, compared to who's slept the least...". This is like saying you got an A+ on the coursework portion of a paper, so why should you have to sit the exams? It makes no sense and not only that, but you're also actually trying to use one person's luck as a justification for removing many people's motivation for playing.

This whole thread makes me think of Roses by Outcast. Except there's nothing beautiful or fine here. Just poo poo.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"powerful" is a relative term. Dropping a unique item that a lvl 90 wouldn't sneeze at...while YOU are at level 10 is a "powerful" unique.

The vast majority of uniques that you find on your quest TOWARDS the highest level content are not considered "powerful" except to the people that can actually get use (and great use) out of them.

And that is a GOOD thing. Luck should ALWAYS have a place in a loot-based game. And uniques have a special role: generally multiple or even many levels stronger than their rare counterparts, and also UNIQUE effects or mods. This accomplishes many things, a couple of which are dopamine and adrenaline to keep you playing, and a potential reason to alter your build to suit the unique. No rare that would ever drop in a game like this would make you say "ooh I got this cool item, I wonder what kind of character I can create to use it to the fullest?"
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
Luck should ALWAYS have a place in a loot-based game.

I agree.
But I do, to some point, also agree with OP.
In a competetive environment, luck shouldn't have much more impact than skill/ endurance.
Powerful uniques, on the other hand, should have their place in an ARPG, imo.
So... PoE just isn't designed to have competetive events in its current form.

If I remember correctly, Charan put the drop restriction on Oni Goroshi so that it would not interfere with races.
Making it rare would not be enough, because some lucky person would surely find one early in the game, gaining an incredible edge over every other player.
So he hid it behind a Hillock grind, which excluded it from having any impact on race events or even league starts - because at the time you've farmed an OG, most other players would already be in Part II of the game or even in maps.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Should any powerful items exist in a game? Should players be allowed to have fun without spending at least 10 hours a week and passing a physical fitness test? Should all game challenges include an IQ test?

Learn the mechanics, do the meta build, spend enough time and anyone regardless of supposed skill level can end up with a top tier character and do whatever content they want. There's no "challenge" in the game.

The same critique against powerful unique items could be made for powerful crafted items.

GGG has chosen to make their game gear focused. Arguing over the current problem is like arguing about Kaom's Heart or Shavs or anything else being too powerful. GGG will shift the game balance and top items and builds will drop back into being good, but not best.

If GGG tried to adapt their supposed RNG so that uniques dropped appropriately for the item area and character level, they would be more fun, usable and not much of a balance issue.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Finally, one can nit pick to find "reasons" or "excuses" to justify not "supporting", and spending money on a game, especially a game that's already free to play, or also the company behind it, because that's always easier to do, but for those who understand, or see the reality better, they still steadily "support", just not as much as they're able, or would like, because I and I'm sure many others appreciate, and care about this game and company, because at least for me it's this game I've been consistently playing for many years, something that hasn't happened with any other new game for at least 7-8 years.

I wish COMMAS were unique in this paragraph. Jaysus.....
My opinion is that too many unique modifiers should be on the passive tree somewhere instead of deal 20% more fire damage or whatever.

Honestly they should just delete the chase uniques and mirrors and re-balance the game. Stuff like t0 uniques and mirrors just don't exist for me because they never realistically drop. The more GGG balances around players that play too much where they say mageblood/headhunters are too common, the worse the game gets.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info