Should "powerful" uniques exist in PoE or any other "online" ARPG?

and the second question that follows, can you think of an example when is a good thing "powerful" uniques to be accessible/obtainable while not doing "challenging" content?

For single player games this isn't a big issue compared to online games that features/promote ladders/rankings (competition). The content cannot remain "challenging" for the player if there's no proper progression. "Shortcuts" are like "cheats", and that means a certain percentage from the participants will "cheat", or gain significant advantage by getting very lucky, and this not only ruins a good, and fair competition, but also undermines the achievement for the player, especially if the prize pool is structured to reward the winner with a significant amount from the total pool.

I decided to open this thread as a discussion, and a reminder that this is what's been happening lately, and not just with the latest "Misery" Gauntlet. Example, the previous Gauntlet Alkaizer completed it by using "Eternal Damnation", and Ben by using "Defiance of Destiny", two amulets that allow the player to "survive" or "outlast" challenging content easily, and also these "powerful" uniques were introduced in 3.23 and Sanctum.

Private leagues do not offer a feature that disable unique drops (only available for rares), and the event organizer also choose not to ban the use of unique items, and in the current state of the game I believe it should be necessary going forward.

When it comes to GGG reasoning behind the state of "uniques", and in the way it makes them accessible I believe there can be improvements made, which will benefit both the company, and everyone else who plans to continue playing this game, unless it's irrelevant for GGG if it receives support/funding for the ongoing maintenance, and in the way they'll continue develop/produce this game.

Finally, one can nit pick to find "reasons" or "excuses" to justify not "supporting", and spending money on a game, especially a game that's already free to play, or also the company behind it, because that's always easier to do, but for those who understand, or see the reality better, they still steadily "support", just not as much as they're able, or would like, because I and I'm sure many others appreciate, and care about this game and company, because at least for me it's this game I've been consistently playing for many years, something that hasn't happened with any other new game for at least 7-8 years.
Last edited by Kopogero on Mar 6, 2024, 4:18:07 PM
Last bumped on Mar 14, 2024, 1:04:02 PM
Yes.
you will not find one person saying ""no i dont want powerful chase items in my power-fantasy arpg "

if anything poe needs more of them .
first of all, there arent any ladders aside from private leagues, Players play for fun. so it doesnt realy matter how strong other ppl are. i got a friend who got a lvl100 before i even reach 70, i was like, dude chill...

2- the whole point of an action rpg is to make ur character immortal and also kill everything. that is the goal of any build.
it doesnt matter if its a lab runner, a delver, bosser etc

and to do that, you need powerful items that make a diference.

i would preffer that all drops would be random, having an item behind a boss that you cant kill "yet" is annoying, because somethimes the item itself doesnt even make that much diference.
but being able to target X uniques is cool tho.

i would also like if they made more variations of items but for diferent types of damage. Like; chaos charges for ex, mobs have them why not players aswell.
Last edited by spoc002 on Mar 3, 2024, 4:13:07 AM
POE has Uniques, other ARPG have Legendaries.

Ban the use of Uniques is silly considering GGG could just change or remove them from the game. Some Uniques are powerful, some uniques are trash. Crafted rare items are potentially more powerful. Do GGG allow powerful item? They do. They wouldn't exist otherwise.

Let ask a different question. Why do you want people to stop using or having powerful items?

"
spoc002 wrote:

2- the whole point of an action rpg is to make ur character immortal and also kill everything. that is the goal of any build.

POE is a "Diablo-like". "Diablo-like" genre are closer to Hack & Slash genre, rather than ARPG genre.
Last edited by awesome999 on Mar 3, 2024, 4:51:59 AM
Are you seriously asking about removing chase items in a loot chasing genre?

Is that your question?
POE needs a strong Summoner unique.
Yes.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
Got tired of complaining that you cannot win any race and GGG refuses to pay you for playing their game?
Now you start with "how should we change PoE" threads?
"
Aynix wrote:
Got tired of complaining that you cannot win any race and GGG refuses to pay you for playing their game?
Now you start with "how should we change PoE" threads?

There's many ways how one can react or "respond" to "responses" like in the example above, and because this is a privately owned forum by a company that employees moderators to uphold its term of service, this is how I'll choose to "respond".

@Aynix, if you understood the words you're using properly by its defined meaning, and read the thread carefully again, you'll notice there's no "complaining", because me and I'm sure many others, "we" simply do not care, because we don't feel a "defeat", a loss if someone end up higher ranked thanks to RNG luck and completed all the challenging content, while others were getting good hours of sleep. I simply display care by spending my time to discuss about this, and if players don't "care" about these "competitive" events, both to participate or observe it's bad for everyone, and overall for this particular game/product.

I also don't want to say their name, but a certain "melee" enjoyer streamer again decides to give up, quit days into the Gauntlet after the axe he was crafting "bricked", and I'm sure you can find the viral clip. Bottom line, if you were competing with/against anyone, like someone who's playing a game for the first time in their life, you may also found yourself losing, because it always comes down to the type of game, the rules in place, and what one can do to separate from its competitors.

I believe many within the community (including myself and others who enjoy competing) prefer events that promote, and reward "extraordinary" performance, compared to who's slept the least, and "sucked out" the most by getting Eternal Damnation upon their first or second Sanctum run, or some other powerful unique like Defiance of Destiny after killing some mobs in a mid (yellow) tier map.

Defiance of Destiny was introduced in Affliction, and despite the nerfs to Forbidden tome drop rates, it only means fewer players now can "suck out" and get those powerful uniques that GGG decided to keep permanently, and when you have other streamers who're "quitting" after their failed crafting, it just shows that RNG or "luck factor" should not be as impactful as currently is for the final rankings.
Last edited by Kopogero on Mar 3, 2024, 11:47:11 PM
Cope
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info