One thing i noticed while watching PoE gameplay

The combats are fast enought for me .Especially when you reach high levels !
"

Its not that I want things flying all over the place for its own sake.

I watched a couple D3 videos and it looks terrible, how far they fly and how meek they make enemies look.

Torchlight seems to accomplish the effect of making your blows seem hard.

In torchlight one, if you hit something with knockback next to a ledge it would hit it and fall off. Finishing something with a heavy blow caused it to splatter everywhere.

Moderation is good and both the above games do it way too much, however I do think PoE can benefit from having some sort of kick to combat albeit not as heavy as the ones above.

Also, not talking about speed, but the actual feel of combat.

Last edited by ND1Razor on May 30, 2012, 10:32:00 AM
It is the old-school look & feel that many will not like. The game looks and feels "old" . For some it´s both nostalgic and a fresh breath of air in a "modern" look of games that are many time like if Michael bay had been involved in it.

But for many newer gamers. This does not have that "WTF WOW" factor to it.

And to many ppl i have talked to since starting to post videos of the game. They are skeptic about that a game from the past can make it in the future.

But in the end if you think about it, most ppl raising concerns about the game lacking things to be able to make it, they are just showing you that they care about the game, if may be at different levels.

And even if they will not admit it.

I still say let time show all how it will go.

Who knows, maybe it´s time for a gaming-rollback with a modern twist.

http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
ND1Razor wrote:
I feel as though PoEs combat lacks "weight" in torchlight and diablo when you kill something with a powerful blow, they dont just keel over and die, they fly apart.

I like the keeling over and dying. Try using Sweep while standing in the center of a crowd of mobs. What a pretty crop circle they make! =^[.]^=

I also love the crop circle effect. I'm currently working on rounding them up into a pile that makes different patterns. ;-)
The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason: Read it, live it and prosper!
I've heard this game described as Dark Souls meets diablo... sound awesome tbh. ARGP with difficulty is never a bad thing, I like actually feeling challenged when i play something.
Now presenting! Venom ink; malice in the pen, poison on the paper, anger in the mind.

Brought to you by Dat LLC, in partnership with Harassment Industries.

*Disclaimer* No actual products are being sold, shipped or presented. *End of disclaimer*
"
ND1Razor wrote:
"

Its not that I want things flying all over the place for its own sake.

I watched a couple D3 videos and it looks terrible, how far they fly and how meek they make enemies look.

Torchlight seems to accomplish the effect of making your blows seem hard.

In torchlight one, if you hit something with knockback next to a ledge it would hit it and fall off. Finishing something with a heavy blow caused it to splatter everywhere.

Moderation is good and both the above games do it way too much, however I do think PoE can benefit from having some sort of kick to combat albeit not as heavy as the ones above.

Also, not talking about speed, but the actual feel of combat.

I actually found Torchlight 1's death effects a bit overcooked as well though. At first it was like 'hahaha what the heck, dude just *exploded*!', but before long, it was pretty standard.

Perhaps the extra gore is that kick you're waiting for. I'm obviously content with the combat as it stands, feel or speed. It is a good thing that GGG appear to be concerned about this; I would never have thought of an extra-gore purchase -- the game is pretty gory to me already!

___

DarkNRG, sort of. The Souls games had active dodge and block mechanics that most ARPGs just don't, so there's one crucial difference. However, both the Souls games and Path of Exile are very difficult in that they punish mistakes and force you to learn usually by killing, at least almost killing, you, repeatedly.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Honestly I think there should be two purchasable types of extra gore..

One being Quentin Tarantino level and the other being a reasonable increase where the amount of blood and gore is more but still in the "believable" are if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Totally forgot to say that currently I think the speed and feel of the combat is perfectly fine. It does in fact feel "weighted".
(¯`·._.·(¯`·._.·-Characters-·._.·´¯)·._.·´¯)
Alizah - Ranger - (Bow)
Zelkova - Duelist - (Sword+Shield)
(¯`·._.·---------------------------·._.·´¯)
Last edited by Sk3ith on May 30, 2012, 6:10:50 PM
"
I actually disagree with the above command regarding weight. The 'sluggishness' to the combat and the character's movements to me add weight rather than take it away. Indeed, when you bring ragdoll physics into play, you're essential scoffing at the idea of weight for the sake of exaggerated death animations and impressive results from equally impressive skills.

To be fair, I would only want to see the little things like zombies fly apart with anything resembling ragdoll physics, and even then only with critical hits or certain elemental attacks, not just a normal strike. No Brutus flying across the screen, flailing and ricocheting off the walls, hehe.
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
TBH I found the mechanics here really good. Thumping a monster and having them crumple is a lot more immersive (in my view) than having them fly backwards in a torrent of ruptured organs and gibbs. Suits the feel of the game more in my view.
What's the matter Dylan? Government got you pushing too many pencils?
Combat gets much more gratifying at higher levels... lots of shattering, burning enemies, but a few new death animations here and there wouldn't hurt anybody.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info