why PoE is dying

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
How is advertising a variety Streamer with a paid sponsorship for example, one that doesn't even play arpgs often, targeting a harcore arpg enthusiast that PoE is looking for, and develop for?

No one is saying that. But they ARE targeting a wider audience, consisting of ALL kinds of players. Sure, you can sit here and claim that you know the exact demographic of every variety streamer, but that would of course be a lie. But we BOTH know that there are potential PoE players out there, only needing a little nudge to try the game, and potentially stay, be that as a casual or growing to really like the game, putting in hours.

I'm sure the record numbers this league have a lot to do with D4. Maybe a ton of casuals, who knows. And maybe 12% of them will stay? Again, you don't need to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy PoE. There's PLENTY of non-hardcore gamers enjoying the game at some level. You don't have to faceroll the endgame to get something out of the game.

"
Phrazz wrote:
You don't have to faceroll the endgame to get something out of the game.

If newer players expect to clear pinnacle-tier ubers then perhaps the Ubers aren't hard enough.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on May 30, 2023, 3:28:20 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
you don't need to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy PoE. There's PLENTY of non-hardcore gamers enjoying the game

Is that true on average? This is the ultimate question that D4 will answer. Once there is a viable choice, what will non-hardcore elite players decide is best for them? I have my thoughts on this, and you have yours. I guess we will see which game offers a better sustained casual / average player experience.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
hmmm
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on May 30, 2023, 4:13:34 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Is that true on average?

Does it matter? What does "average" has to do with it? Maybe you are average, but certainly not all players out there are average. We both KNOW that there are non-hardcore gamers out there enjoying PoE for what it is, completely OK with the fact that they cannot do 'everything'.

On average? Come on.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Is that true on average?

Does it matter? What does "average" has to do with it? Maybe you are average, but certainly not all players out there are average. We both KNOW that there are non-hardcore gamers out there enjoying PoE for what it is, completely OK with the fact that they cannot do 'everything'.

On average? Come on.

I said on average to avoid hyperbole, and quite frankly, nobody knows how much of the casual PoE playerbase will be impacted by D4. It could be quite large, and what does that mean moving forward?

And no we both don't "KNOW" there are "PLENTY" of non-hardcore gamers enjoying PoE for what it is. Mostly because I have no idea what your definition of "enjoyment" is, and how you came to the conclusion that your definition applies to everyone else.

If an casual / average player logs in and tries Crucible for a few hours and then doesn't come back to it, did they "enjoy" it? What about 10 hours? 20? What if they are playing just because they don't have something else they are interested in at the time? I "KNOW" that you would like to invalidate all those points, but in truth, those are key in determining how much of an impact D4 will have on PoE players currently.

Of course some people are "enjoying" PoE to a degree. That wasn't the question. The question is, if we both agree PoE really isn't designed for casual / average players like D4 is, then doesn't it stand to reason those players will find more "enjoyment" in a game more focused on what they would be looking for? Seems logical to me. But feel free to dismiss that thought. It doesn't matter now, the results will speak for themselves.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 31, 2023, 8:15:15 AM
Damn D4 forums has just as much whiners as here lol. That was interesting.
-Official Forum Dweller-
I figured I would throw in an opinion from an "average" gamer. I found PoE a few years back and really enjoyed it. Got a few characters into the 90's and had a lot of fun in my 1,400 or so hours (which is nothing compared to some people on here.

I do enjoy the game for what it is. It can offer a player a lot of value in the available playtime and if you choose to take it to the high end, which I have barely seen any of, that is available.

The main thing that kills the game for me is the need to redo everything every three months. I found a few builds that I like, Cyclone Slayer to get my WW Barb fix and the RF Chieftain for my laid-back days. I tried a few others and they were enjoyable as well.

I never got too deep into crafting or anything very deep in the end game. What keeps me from playing is, as mentioned, having to redo everything every three months and, as some have probably mentioned, the one shot, out of nowhere kills. My characters aren't geared that great and it is understood that it will happen but, when you tie that in with a 10% experience loss, that stings and can render hours of playtime useless. This is also happening in some very basic maps, even before the addition of AN.

PoE is a good game that I would still dabble in if D4 wasn't available. PoE is the best ARPG on the market, at least until this weekend. If D4 can take that throne for me, then so be it. If not, maybe I'll pop back into PoE and try to figure out everything that has changed since I played last. The only thing that will "kill" PoE is GGG themselves.
poe is super bloated from all the expansions over the years so anything D4 puts out atm is gonna seem like a breath of fresh air as some have put it. Only time will tell if it will last like Poe has done for the past 10 years.
-Official Forum Dweller-
Last edited by xPiranha on May 31, 2023, 8:47:53 AM
D4 won't stick around for long as an active game so it's not going to be an alternative for anyone in the mid term, not even casuals. It's just a worthless topic since Blizzard doesn't care about competing on the ARPG market against GGG, they only want to milk some more money out of one of their franchises and be done with it.
Lot's of casuals will swarm the game on release, play for a few months at best until they've done everything, realize that there are no balance changes, no new items/builds or content updates coming and then they'll be stuck with the same choice they have now. Deal with POE or don't play an ARPG.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
D4 won't stick around for long as an active game so it's not going to be an alternative for anyone in the mid term, not even casuals.

What?

hoho

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info