Diablo 4 is POE KILLER !!.

"
imanubcake wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
There is no question this seasons iteration was a step back. However I think some of the experimental aspects on skills is a win. It lays the groundwork for additional customization options going forward.

And while I understand some, especially here, long for a more sweaty, lengthy, arpg experience, I appreciate the low stakes that D4 offers. I don't really want more than 40 or so hours each season. I typically make one build, play casually in solo or groups, get to 100, and kill most bosses. (Expect fucking Lilith which is a bullshit fight imo). Oh yeah, and skipping the campaign? Thank god.

If anyone thinks the expansion that's coming, with a new playable class, won't sell like crazy, that's delusional. There is definitely a D4 audience, and they are not crying on Reddit, YouTube comment sections, trolling in Twitch chat, and so on...

D4 respects my time, I can play from my couch, my friends enjoy it, and quite frankly, that's the bottom line. Absolutely worth the money I've put in.

I'm also looking forward to LE, which is actually a decent middle ground from PoE to D4. You wont (likely) get thousands of hours out of it, but that's entirely the point.

Yeah yeah
We get it
You hate PoE and what it has to offer
And you want to play D4 and think D4 is clearly superior in every single way

You could just go and post on their forums.

Lol I don't hate PoE. Also, this is off topic, specifically on D4. What did you expect in this thread?

I think you are projecting a bit here good sir.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Wb.

Cleared the BP. The lunar event was a fun couple of hours. As of the last balance patch my game has been pretty full of other players so I reckon they did something right. And I will never not love how 1990s internet D4 feels sometimes. Clan names like 666 and Cnnt, char names like DigBick and Futterbuck. Almost enough to make one miss the BSOD wars...

I don't think I will ever be able to see Last Epoch as anything but a very clever alsoran. It certainly addresses everything "wrong" with PoE all but explicitly (EHG are to PoE what GGG were to D2) and I can't fault any of it but that doesn't mean I will like it. Or have to, for that matter. Maybe if it gets a ps5 release. Definitely a game in which I would rather "drive" my character than "direct" it.

I still can't tell you why D4 works for me. I am not some Dad gamer with limited playtime nor am I a casual in the mainstream sense. When I want to grind I can definitely grind, although usually only for cosmetics (grinding for gear ie just to play has a very low ceiling of tolerance for me these days; I haven't worked minimum wage in decades either). D4 has so much wrong with it and yet it already feels more like home than PoE ever did - - talking purely in gameplay terms here, not in the Ruler of Wraeclast mode. I haven't interacted with a single other player I don't know IRL beyond "thank you". Maybe that's why it works for me. No trade required (or enabled atm lol), ssf is thus a given, i can go full hermit mode or I can fuss about in group activities with minimal preparation. I also just like the resource management systems. They don't become obsolete too soon and by the time it's not an issue you feel like you have earned the spamminess. I haven't spent a dollar above the rrp and just cleared 1.5k hours with several level 100s per season. As with Wolcen, I can't argue that sort of personal value.

Honestly all I want right now is more dye options. Okay and a sword and board character who isnt a sickly goth. And meatier foley; Bone Spear's lack of bony crunch is disappointing.

...I am going to make a companion-focused druid work even if it kills me.

Next ARPG for me will probably be TQ2. If DD2 doesn't count.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 7, 2024, 5:02:15 PM
Will wait this one out till Charge (Ancestral Charge aspect respectively) is fixed.

It's OP and looks nice when decimating groups of enemies but has a weird hitbox which hardly make you hit bosses or single target enemies.

Yeah you can in 50% cases hit enemies at a certain angle or distance but even then it still feels terrible for me personally.

Not enough in the recent patch notes to make me come back but it was enjoyable for the story elements alone but the endgame aspects are still very lackluster in comparison to Vampire season and the new powers are negligible.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Feb 9, 2024, 7:17:30 AM
The game is in D3 territory now. Play for a week at season beginning then quit because post leveling it has the depth of a paddling pool. I guess you can look forward to expansions; Maybe in 3-4 years and $200 more invested (assuming no mtx) you will get to meet Diablo!
I am glad they got Blum for at least some crucial voice work (given his other role n D4 I wasn't sure they would bother) but right as I was getting into the seasonal mini story it ended. The dichotomy between how our guide sees Kulle and how Kulle seemed to see our guide spoke of some very interesting tension, and both are unreliable narrators. Big step up from Zir or Ormond. Almost core game worthy in its nuance.

Charge is hilarious. When I see a barb pop in an event I am doing I just switch to teeth er bone shards and watch them zip aboit with all their ghostly mates. Truly the Ball Lightning of S3. I already took a meteor sorc to 100 in s2 so unfortunately I miss out on the intriguing unique-driven buff changing it to Meteor Swarm.

But now that NeoCore have announced a true all season offline mode is coming to Wh40k Inquisitor Martyr I have revisited that this week - - nice of them to end its long running but weak service with genuine perpetuity. Sure, the ps5 version can't clear 40fps but the controller vibration at 100% almost makes it jump out of your hands when you pull the trigger on a heavy bolter or autogun. Operation Wolf, eat your palm-throbbing heart out. Also it's just a really fun game. Visceral combat (literally most of the time), terrifically po-faced one-liners (many in 1980s Space Latin, bless the emperor), quite a lot of build variety and meaningful weapon switch all lend themselves nicely to a solid B grade ARPG warhammer experience which is to be fair A grade warhammer imo; if your warhammer doesnt feel b grade its doing something wrong. Given its focus on action rather than rpg and lack of fussing about between missions (pick a planet and go give or take) I think its a good alternative to D4 given where that game seems to stumble. There actually aren't many - - most ARPGs skew more technically than action-based, which is neither good nor bad. Just a thing.

I cannot for the life of me enjoy archery in D4. I like the thunk of penetrating shot but it doesnt thunk hard enough in and of itself. With the gear required to make it tick, I could probably make any other build not suck. Also kinda hard to go back to d4 archery when you've had a taste of Inquisitor's body part specific sniping attacks taken from actual useful cover, then weapon switching to dual bolt pistols to clean up. Or just holding the trigger on a melta gun until it basically melts in your hand. I don't even like 40k (too many people don't realise it's a satire) but damn it makes for a great arpg setting. Dakka for days.

I marvel at how long that LE thread has lasted in Not-Off Topic.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
https://twitter.com/XboxGamePassPC/status/1758219989239423043

"GET READY CAUSE HELL IS COMING TO PC GAME PASS"
"
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
ngl turtledove was the first person I thought of with s3's ...everything.

It is so bad. Untenable disaster. I don't want devs to lose their jobs, not in the current climate, but someone needs to answer to wtf happened here.

I miss being a badass vampire.

Still playing Vanilla/eternal with friends once a week but with fuck knows how many excellent games from last year, I will get the BP shit (had leftover plat and the skins are actually good...of course they are) and fuck right off.

A pity LE isn't on ps5 but eh I never really liked that one despite its obvious quality and earnest moves to respond to PoE's biggest shortcomings in terms of elegance and UX.

I was thinking of tinkering around with Eternal. I too miss Season 2. Lots of fun! I bought PalWorld instead of playing Eternal. Haven't played it enough yet though to have an opinion. The buzz around it is very encouraging though.

So the past few patches did enough to make it tolerable imo.

Spiderbot is much stronger.

Traps are negligible given each pearl gives 10 wards rather than 3, and after murdering every herald I can I am swimming in pearls.

The whisper tremors give an easy 10 favor (kill 100, 3 obelisks to get cores, kill herald after spending cores -- a very obvious and simple loop).

And even if you don't open the bonus chests after a vault, the NM versions still give glyph xp and NM vaults are far quicker and easier than dungeons so...I havent even touched a NM dungeon yet.

Still a shit concept but they have basically patched all threat of the traps out and turned spiderbot into a decent source of power. Strolling through it as my first Spear Necro.

After playing PalWorld more I've decided that I don't like it. Sad. I guess I'm stuck playing ARPG's.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I have Strong Feelings about Palworld, and cannot rationally discuss it so I don't.

Look I know I have a teeeeeeerrible track record with ARPG recs but I really do think inquisitor martyr is horribly overlooked. It regularly goes on sale on steam and currently has a "pick your season" mode enabled on PC in preparation for its offline/end of service update. I havent played anything else in weeks tbh. It does melee really well which is deeply ironic given its the only arpg in which guns are basically a given.

Of course theres LE real soon and TQ2 on the horizon but for D4 style brain off fuck shit up in spectacularly gory ways, I gently urge you to not dismiss Inquisitor Martyr as a chunky, satisfying arpg with lots of giblets and surprisingly long legs after a mehtastic campaign (which you can skip on pc after doing it once, praise the emperor).

That all said if you like the survival genre, V rising is an interesting blend of it and arpgs - - the isometric combat feels very Diabloesque. But everything else is pure survival: make your own gear, build your own castle, stay the fuck out of sunlight.

I hear good things about Enshrouded too.

And of course there's that other game scooping up awards like Tony Montana's nose at the end of Scarface. Buggy as hell, ridiculously horny party members and Buggy as hell... But still something pretty much every gamer should dedicate some time to experiencing. Especially if you can do it with someone else whose approach to gaming is different to your own.

I won't say D4 is dead but I do think s4 has some seriously heavy lifting to do after what s3 delivered (and didn't deliver).

Gauntlets are so disappointing that I almost rage uninstalled D4 entirely this week. Should've spent my game time in Last Epoch and skipped this season. The gameplay of charge barb was fun (if buggy) but nothing surrounding the league was fun.
I didn't rage uninstall. I calmly made room for better games. Will revisit come s4 and/or the expansion. Love what D4 does well, happy for more of it, feel utterly no compulsion or interest otherwise.

Anyone who thinks that attitude is somehow weird or weak has very likely lost perspective on what being a gamer means as opposed to being a member of any game's given community. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotionally disengaged from a video game beyond occasional interest if said game is being occasionally interesting.

The only people who should make Diablo 4 their One Game are those who are somehow profiting from that. There are simply better offerings out there for anything D4 tries to do as a service. Better action rpgs, better open worlds, better build simulators, better dress up games. Better service games, if we truly must have them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info