[3.22] Sunblast Self-Chill Explosive Trap Trickster

Honestly, I am feeling like I should thank you each week for sharing the build.
It is so fun speedrunning bosses like that ^^ Instaphasing Shaper feels great.
Thanks again.

btw: While doing Shaper, do you stop a bit during the banish phase to fill the Bottled Faith charges or not really?

btw2: Due to the nature of the build, I thought of a possibilitie to quick swap to mapping setup. That's for map challanges mostly and I am assuming costs like 30-40 div. Since we got lots of stuff added to Hatred and cold, maybe an Icicle Trap(with tree alteration included) could work. How did you go through all these map challanges?
The Explosive Trap ain't really good at mapping, especially when swapped to Elder/Shaper Helmet setup instead of 6L chest. The AoE and trap trigger time itself is not really satisfying for mapping.
"
Horken007 wrote:
Honestly, I am feeling like I should thank you each week for sharing the build.
It is so fun speedrunning bosses like that ^^ Instaphasing Shaper feels great.
Thanks again.

btw: While doing Shaper, do you stop a bit during the banish phase to fill the Bottled Faith charges or not really?

btw2: Due to the nature of the build, I thought of a possibilitie to quick swap to mapping setup. That's for map challanges mostly and I am assuming costs like 30-40 div. Since we got lots of stuff added to Hatred and cold, maybe an Icicle Trap(with tree alteration included) could work. How did you go through all these map challanges?
The Explosive Trap ain't really good at mapping, especially when swapped to Elder/Shaper Helmet setup instead of 6L chest. The AoE and trap trigger time itself is not really satisfying for mapping.

I don't really stop to refill bottled faith. I only really use it on the first phase, the other phases he's instantly deleted with or without the flask.

For your second question, there isn't an easy fix to make mapping amazing. One thing I've experimented with is an off-hand weapon swap for a 5L self-cast exsanguinate (you can see the gear I used on my DumboTOTAllyTraps offhand character, they are still in my offhand). Another way would be to craft a one-handed mace with either Redeemer or Shaper influence that has the mod "Enemies Killed with Attack or Spell Hits Explode, dealing 5% of their Life as Fire Damage" which makes your Traps explode nearby enemies. I've done a little bit of testing with it, and it feels better than normal mapping by a lot but having to craft a mapping only weapon is sort of annoying. You'd also want to get the Phys As Extra mod and probably spell damage too. Once I finish up with my current project I might spend some time fine tuning it and drop a video on youtube if time IRL allows.
Thanks for the reply.

"
I don't really stop to refill bottled faith. I only really use it on the first phase, the other phases he's instantly deleted with or without the flask.

Confirmed it works :) I just underestimated the character burst.

"
For your second question...

Without Mageblood, the Sunblast + 6L chest with AoE suppport instead of Conc.Effect was quite good. But that's w/o Mageblood :( The Conc.Effect in the helmet heavily impacts the AoE of the ET.
But I just have an idea of trying Carcass Jack as a body swap (+50% AoE, extra AoE damage, Dex_Int base) which should fit just fine. Then also AoE support instead of Conc.Effect. This put together with a helmet used before Shaper/Elder crafted helmet and maybe that could work.

[Edit]
Instead of an explo mod, I'd rather get an Oriath Flask
Spoiler
Item Class: Utility Flasks
Rarity: Unique
Oriath's End
Bismuth Flask
--------
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Lasts 10,20 (augmented) Seconds
Consumes 15 of 40 Charges on use
Currently has 0 Charges
+35% to all Elemental Resistances
--------
Requirements:
Level: 56
--------
Item Level: 87
--------
Reused at the end of this Flask's effect (enchant)
--------
26% increased Charge Recovery
Enemies you Kill during Effect have a 24% chance to Explode, dealing a tenth of their maximum Life as Damage of a Random Element
--------
Ennui prevailed, until inspiration sparked
a mote of flame, kindled by fury
and all in his path were obliterated.
--------
Right click to drink. Can only hold charges while in belt. Refills as you kill monsters.
Last edited by Horken007 on Oct 7, 2023, 5:28:38 AM
"
Horken007 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

"

Confirmed it works :) I just underestimated the character burst.

"
For your second question...

Without Mageblood, the Sunblast + 6L chest with AoE suppport instead of Conc.Effect was quite good. But that's w/o Mageblood :( The Conc.Effect in the helmet heavily impacts the AoE of the ET.
But I just have an idea of trying Carcass Jack as a body swap (+50% AoE, extra AoE damage, Dex_Int base) which should fit just fine. Then also AoE support instead of Conc.Effect. This put together with a helmet used before Shaper/Elder crafted helmet and maybe that could work.

[Edit]
Instead of an explo mod, I'd rather get an Oriath Flask
Spoiler
Item Class: Utility Flasks
Rarity: Unique
Oriath's End
Bismuth Flask
--------
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Lasts 10,20 (augmented) Seconds
Consumes 15 of 40 Charges on use
Currently has 0 Charges
+35% to all Elemental Resistances
--------
Requirements:
Level: 56
--------
Item Level: 87
--------
Reused at the end of this Flask's effect (enchant)
--------
26% increased Charge Recovery
Enemies you Kill during Effect have a 24% chance to Explode, dealing a tenth of their maximum Life as Damage of a Random Element
--------
Ennui prevailed, until inspiration sparked
a mote of flame, kindled by fury
and all in his path were obliterated.
--------
Right click to drink. Can only hold charges while in belt. Refills as you kill monsters.

The problem with Oriath's End is the same as other sources of explode in that they generally require YOU do the killing, which the Traps are actually the source of killing. The shaper/redeemer mod on one-handed mace is for any kill by spell which is why it works with traps.
"
The problem with Oriath's End is the same as other sources of explode in that they generally require YOU do the killing, which the Traps are actually the source of killing. The shaper/redeemer mod on one-handed mace is for any kill by spell which is why it works with traps.

Aaah OK.
btw: then I guess stuff like Herald of Ice wont shatter enemies if killed by traps, right?

That opens other possibilities then:
• Cinderswallow with Mana Cost + Life recovery (frees the Silver Flask slot)
• Wise Oak (Some cold pen and could free +XX% ele resistances from one of the utility flasks, but = RIP if charges ends, not really viable but maybe..?)
• Progenesis (extra survi, though I have never used one before so can't comment on it)
• Dying Sun (more AoE)

Actually I am quite satisfied with the current setup:

Carcass Jack speaks for itself - total ES is a bit lower, but it's managable during maps. Multiple traps instead of Inspiration works pretty good, the traps are thrown in a line, spreaded. Also no Conc.Effect to allow AoE support (both are blue so you can swap to Conc.Effect if u need extra damage quickly)
Old helmet - I thought about Searing Exarch +AoE mod, but it's still nice w/o it. The helmet can also hit life regen mode which is helpful.
WW with Ignite immunity.
Boots - just different gem setup, Herald of Ash removed for the sake of Vitality, Purity stays. I use Clarity cuz I have a Watcher Eye: Clarity(-Mana Cost), Hatred(+XX% Cold Damage).
Any source of Bleed/Corrupted Blood immunity is a must.

However, I am:
• not using Culling Strike setup
• not using Necromantic Aegis nearby mana costs skilled.
• using only 1 large cluster jewel
so idk if above can also easy fit.

There are still some possibilities to buff the AoE, like AoE passives at the top of the tree (near +30 Dex node) or in the main Trap node on the right.

Here is a short vid of the AoE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIjvxXQD6tc
"
Horken007 wrote:
"

Aaah OK.
btw: then I guess stuff like Herald of Ice wont shatter enemies if killed by traps, right?

That opens other possibilities then:
• Cinderswallow with Mana Cost + Life recovery (frees the Silver Flask slot)
• Wise Oak (Some cold pen and could free +XX% ele resistances from one of the utility flasks, but = RIP if charges ends, not really viable but maybe..?)
• Progenesis (extra survi, though I have never used one before so can't comment on it)
• Dying Sun (more AoE)

Actually I am quite satisfied with the current setup:

Carcass Jack speaks for itself - total ES is a bit lower, but it's managable during maps. Multiple traps instead of Inspiration works pretty good, the traps are thrown in a line, spreaded. Also no Conc.Effect to allow AoE support (both are blue so you can swap to Conc.Effect if u need extra damage quickly)
Old helmet - I thought about Searing Exarch +AoE mod, but it's still nice w/o it. The helmet can also hit life regen mode which is helpful.
WW with Ignite immunity.
Boots - just different gem setup, Herald of Ash removed for the sake of Vitality, Purity stays. I use Clarity cuz I have a Watcher Eye: Clarity(-Mana Cost), Hatred(+XX% Cold Damage).
Any source of Bleed/Corrupted Blood immunity is a must.

However, I am:
• not using Culling Strike setup
• not using Necromantic Aegis nearby mana costs skilled.
• using only 1 large cluster jewel
so idk if above can also easy fit.

There are still some possibilities to buff the AoE, like AoE passives at the top of the tree (near +30 Dex node) or in the main Trap node on the right.

Here is a short vid of the AoE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIjvxXQD6tc

Ah, nice. Yea the AoE spread in your video is huge. If you just want a huge pile of AoE you could also grab a pile of Set and Forget medium clusters if you haven't already. Each one is worth another 15%.
call me crazy but what about an eternity shroud version?

assuming i have a shaped winterweave/sunblast/ralakesh, yay or nay?

if yay, what would you run on gloves/weapons/amulet :)

Big fan of the build Dumb0. I've been following the league-start guide(s) and have had minimal issues so far; however, I do have a few specific questions about gear/stats.

1) Is the 25% physical to cold conversion implicit on gloves absolutely needed to drop Winter Spirit and the cold mastery node?

Unfortunately, console trade prices are insane and I've been having RNG issues farming up exceptional ichor to slam. Currently sitting on a 20% implicit.

2) Why do you take the above mentioned nodes before getting 50% cold conversion on gloves?

From what I comprehend you're converting all physical damage into elemental (fire/cold) via the gem itself (50% to fire) and these nodes (50% cold). You're receiving 40% physical to cold conversion via the mastery node, but 14% of physical as extra cold damage from Winter Spirit and the previous node...

Is there a mechanic I'm missing, or is my reading comprehension that poor? The math ain't mathin.

I'm seeing this as:
50% physical to fire conversion (gem) + 40% physical to cold conversion (Mastery node) = 90% physical to elemental conversion. The 14% of physical as extra cold damage is an additive.

3) What is the gear break-point for one-phasing Ubers? With my current gear set-up I haven't even been able to one-phase regular invitations (yet). Would having a Sunblast help dramatically if I'm unable to go the self-chill route? I'm assuming this is more an issue with my gear than anything else. Any upgrade recommendations are highly appreciated.
Last edited by Ohmnivore on Feb 5, 2024, 2:19:02 PM
"
Ohmnivore wrote:
Big fan of the build Dumb0. I've been following the league-start guide(s) and have had minimal issues so far; however, I do have a few specific questions about gear/stats.

1) Is the 25% physical to cold conversion implicit on gloves absolutely needed to drop Winter Spirit and the cold mastery node?

Unfortunately, console trade prices are insane and I've been having RNG issues farming up exceptional ichor to slam. Currently sitting on a 20% implicit.

2) Why do you take the above mentioned nodes before getting 50% cold conversion on gloves?

From what I comprehend you're converting all physical damage into elemental (fire/cold) via the gem itself (50% to fire) and these nodes (50% cold). You're receiving 40% physical to cold conversion via the mastery node, but 14% of physical as extra cold damage from Winter Spirit and the previous node...

Is there a mechanic I'm missing, or is my reading comprehension that poor? The math ain't mathin.

I'm seeing this as:
50% physical to fire conversion (gem) + 40% physical to cold conversion (Mastery node) = 90% physical to elemental conversion + 14% of physical damage added to cold.

3) What is the gear break-point for one-phasing Ubers? With my current gear set-up I haven't even been able to one-phase regular invitations (yet). Would having a Sunblast help dramatically if I'm unable to go the self-chill route? I'm assuming this is more an issue with my gear than anything else. Any upgrade recommendations are highly appreciated.

1) You really want 50% conversion to cold combined from various sources. Its important because it's all the access you have to brittle. 10% less of that (say you only have the mastery) and you are getting 20% less brittle than you would otherwise, and brittle is an important piece of the crit puzzle.

2) I have to path there in order to get the cold mastery. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question or not, but it's a means to an end. I don't think the 5 passive points are worth traveling for by themselves, there are other more high value passive targets imho.

If you are asking if we get ANY benefit from Phys as extra Cold, the answer is yes. We get all the phys as extra as you get "credit" for it before it is converted. That's why the Balance of Terror jewel with self-cast ele weakness is so strong.

3) One-phase Ubers is probably in the 100-150m pinnacle damage range, provided you are preloading everything correctly. You should have good sceptres at this point and at minimum a +2 gems chest or 7L helm. Those are your biggest damage upgrades in general.
"
1) You really want 50% conversion to cold combined from various sources. Its important because it's all the access you have to brittle. 10% less of that (say you only have the mastery) and you are getting 20% less brittle than you would otherwise, and brittle is an important piece of the crit puzzle.

2) I have to path there in order to get the cold mastery. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question or not, but it's a means to an end. I don't think the 5 passive points are worth traveling for by themselves, there are other more high value passive targets imho.

If you are asking if we get ANY benefit from Phys as extra Cold, the answer is yes. We get all the phys as extra as you get "credit" for it before it is converted. That's why the Balance of Terror jewel with self-cast ele weakness is so strong.

3) One-phase Ubers is probably in the 100-150m pinnacle damage range, provided you are preloading everything correctly. You should have good sceptres at this point and at minimum a +2 gems chest or 7L helm. Those are your biggest damage upgrades in general.

Thank you for the quick response. Would you recommend sticking with the cold mastery node in conjunction with the gloves, or is that too much conversion? I'm basically using a mixture of the Dec 5th & Dec 13th POB at this point (without trigger wand) where I've opted to use my 45% conversion gloves to push the 5 points into Whispers of Doom.

Apologies for the confusion on my second question. I was incorrectly thinking that you were attempting to hit 50% cold conversion with this mastery alone rather than the given 40%. The clarification is appreciated.

Thank you for the gear upgrade recommendations as well. I'm currently missing all of those items and will make it my next goal to attain them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info