An honest thread about the option for *Offline only, LAN client* and acceptable price for it.

I think that LANs are a (very sadly) dying art.
and not all lans have net access.

+1 for *something* for the lanners
:: sƃuıɥʇ ɟo ʎɔuɐʇsuoɔ ǝɥʇ ɟo ʎʇılɐǝɹ lɐuıɟ ǝɥʇ ǝq plnoʍ sıɥʇ ʎɐʍɐ ʇǝƃ
plnoɔ ƃuıɥʇou ʇɐɥʇ os plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ uı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ǝpıɥ oʇ ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ɟı ʇnq ::
Last edited by DasRoach on May 26, 2012, 8:37:22 PM
Great idea, especially if they included modding support, gladly pay $20 - $30 for an off line copy. Having a small retail food business myself I can say that the more variety and accessibility you give your product the more popular it becomes, if it îs a quality product. GGG have created an ARPG of enduring worth i'd like hard copy for my collection. 8)
Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire.....

If i am a troll who is no troll who then is the troll? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/53626 }:)

'I rise from the ashes of my own defeat, only to be smitten down again...'
- Some poor soul.
i think the main reason one would want a offline client and have characters saved locally is to be able to edit them.
"
lemor0 wrote:
i think the main reason one would want a offline client and have characters saved locally is to be able to edit them.

Right? Not smart. It's just encouraging people to cheat. The online only option isn't exactly that unfair. Anyone who is using dialup today seriously has issues. You're already always online, so just accept it.
Its sad how some people say "all should have internetz? And LAN sucks, who does that anyway? lawls".
And about piracy, how does that relate to Offline LAN client?
D2 had a LAN offline option.

I have a good PC and very unreliable internet.
I also LAN with friends.
Am i a group that doesnt deserve to play Path of exile then?
How is my life situation where i live suddenly something that i need to fork out more money to fix?
When it can easily be fixed by an Offline LAN client.

I like path of exile, but if i had to pick a game now due to how my life/living conditions is, id pick torchlight 2 because i can play offline LAN mode.

And if devs would post with their idea of how this can be solved i would appreciate that.
Last edited by Planetsurvival on May 26, 2012, 9:21:34 PM
I will say this. When the game is inactive for a long time in the future, for example, if GGG decides to move on to PoE 2 or something similar, I hope there will be an offline option available for purchase then. No online game will last forever, and PoE is no different, but I want my kids to have the chance to retrace my gaming footsteps at some point.
Unfortunately for you, Path of Exile just won't have an offline mode. While I don't see any cons with having an offline mode that people can pay to unlock, how many people are we talking about here? I don't think the demand can cover the costs to develop this feature without making it ridiculously pricey.
Last edited by xxnoob on May 26, 2012, 9:28:10 PM
I could pay like 20 for an offline client...
"
xxnoob wrote:
Unfortunately for you, Path of Exile just won't have an offline mode. While I don't see any cons with having an offline mode that people can pay to unlock, how many people are we talking about here? I don't think the demand can cover the costs to develop this feature without making it ridiculously pricey.

Now this is the purpose of this thread.
To show GGG that there is a market for a Offline LAN client.
Also D3 has the same system like Path of exile, Online only.
Its a DRM/Anti-Hack that annoys people.
If the devs see that enough people would buy a LAN Offline Client, then im sure they will seriosly consider making a LAN Offline client available for purchase.

All i hear on threads about LAN offline is the same reasons over and over.
Anti-hack, protecting source code, more money gained to keep the servers up, all have internet, who LANs anyway, it would cost too much to develop and implement and maintain it, and so on and so fourth.

This online only thing is a point of no return for many like me, if we see a great game with online only demand then people like me think... hmm i wont be able to play this.
Ill just buy another similar game that has a offline LAN client then instead.

And how much reputation and money does GGG loose then?
Who knows?
Which is why this thread exists, to make devs see the amount of money/reputation gained from LAN offline vs the work needed to develop and implement and maintain.

(Again look at Diablo 2, great game that offered both online and offline LAN option.)
Last edited by Planetsurvival on May 26, 2012, 9:48:03 PM
Among my gaming friends, the main complaint (and the reason I personally won't buy it) is the always online DRM. I can deal with it here, since it's a free game, but it does seem strange that GGG has mimicked the biggest complaint about diablo 3. Not sure if they want to try to compete with D3 or not, but if they do, it seems silly to copy the biggest gripe about it.

Some of you are acting like games can't exist without always online DRM. I've never known a game that failed because it was pirated too much. If GGG would charge 20 bucks for an offline Poe, I'm pretty sure that would cover their losses to pirating. They could still put a microtransaction option in for the player to turn on or off.

I personally would rather pay 20 or 30 bucks for an offline version of this game, than play the free online version. That's why I haven't bought D3, and why I haven't paid for closed beta access. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY excited about being able to play this game, but I'd rather not pay for an always online game.
I don't have sig :D -- gracy123
Last edited by Onionspam on May 26, 2012, 10:09:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info