An honest thread about the option for *Offline only, LAN client* and acceptable price for it.

"
eriksundberg wrote:
I could pay like 20 for an offline client...

Thx for posting this!
This is what i intended this thread to be filled with.

"Hello im bob, i would pay X Dollars for an offline LAN client."

A simple way for devs to see player interest in such a service that they can sell us!
Last edited by Planetsurvival on May 26, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
"
"
eriksundberg wrote:

Thx for posting this!

A simple way for devs to see player interest in such a service that they can sell us!

Except it's not happening. It has nothing to do with player interest, and everything to do with "not happening." Making a thread where people "aren't allowed" to say they support GGG's decision not to make an offline mode in an effort to make your position look more positive doesn't actually help.

I'd rather keep hacks out as much as humanly possible. I've played too many games where they can ruin everything, effortlessly. On the flip side, I've played games that keep all the inner workings of the game hidden, and they have much fewer problems with that.

"
I will say this. When the game is inactive for a long time in the future, for example, if GGG decides to move on to PoE 2 or something similar, I hope there will be an offline option available for purchase then. No online game will last forever, and PoE is no different, but I want my kids to have the chance to retrace my gaming footsteps at some point.

This makes sense, but that's pretty far into the future. You may want to bring it up again once this game is old.
Yup.
Last edited by SavageMinnow on May 27, 2012, 12:02:22 AM
"
"
eriksundberg wrote:

Thx for posting this!

"

If you dont want an offline LAN client, then just dont post at all please.
This thread is to show that people would actually buy the offline LAN client and is my attempt to convince GGG devs that this is a way to make the game competetive with torchlight 2 and also get money needed to survive and remain F2P.
I wanted to make a Poll like the one about cash shop prices but sadly i coudnt so i did this instead.

I had to take a bite at this troll bait. :@
I post wherever I want. Who are you to say and choose who can post and say what? Did GGG give you the right and the authority??? can you provide a copy of it here???

No Offline mode please. I came here from Dungeon Defenders and it is such a mess.

Don't like always online mode? This game is definitely not for you. Go make your own arpg.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
Its nice to be able to play a game offline, its more personal, I've been playing POE as if it were offline, only seeing players at towns, I also like MMOs, I'd like to see an offline client, and I'd like to see the online client be more multiplayer intensive, right now i am playing asif i were offline mostly due to disinterest in forming a "party" so i never really have a multiplayer experience, which i'm basically fine with, if there were areas of the game that were by default multiplayer though, i think this would be exciting.
+1 my post if you like it.
i think they should add an offline downloadable story mode

it would be single player only... this would encorage people to login to the web version for coop play.

"
DasRoach wrote:
I think that LANs are a (very sadly) dying art.
and not all lans have net access.

it has gone down a little... but people still hold LAN parties or bring games they can LAN with to family events where kids would other wise just be board.
Bliz is the only company i know that has really put a hurt on this... D3 and i think SC2 is online only and those were the top 2 LAN based games.

BTW LAN = Local area network... you don't need web access (WAN = wide area network)

"
Onionspam wrote:
And hell, DVDs are cheap enough too, why not have a retail version? Lots of people (myself included) would buy it simply because of the similarities to D2, and you could put the words "online access NOT required" in big letters on the cover.

the thing about retail is that they have to pay each month to keep it on the store self...
but im sure that if they offered a story mode retail version it would bring more people to the game.
We can't solve problems we can't talk about...
Thing is, what no-idontlike-offlineLANmode-posts go i agree that issues exist.
However if one wanna raise devs attention to an Offline LAN client then the best way, atleast to me, is to make a thread where people say "Hey i would pay dollars for this offline LAN client, make it happen GGG! And i think it would good since i would play/use it alot aswell!".

Its not about ignoring critisism, its that everything has already been said on why why it would be troublesome in some aspects and GGG has most likely read/knows those points anyway.

And to just constantly regurgitate the same opinions over and over on how some aspects of an offline client may be needing alot of work to get functional doesnt help devs see that there is people out there that would like to see it happen and would pay for this offline LAN client which would make the devs wanna consider it.

Think about it, theres already been thread after thread on why "offline LAN client would have issues with <insert issue thats been regurgitated 9999 times here>".
The devs know these things and have probably read them already.

Sorry if i repeated myself, i just wanted to make sure that people didnt think that i dont think that issues exists with offline LAN and that i cant deal with critisism.
When its about the same things being repeated, regurgitated, over and over and the devs have already read it before most likely.
Therefore it has as much substance as regurgitated food.

-----------------------------------------

"
KiaKun wrote:

it has gone down a little... but people still hold LAN parties or bring games they can LAN with to family events where kids would other wise just be board.
Bliz is the only company i know that has really put a hurt on this... D3 and i think SC2 is online only and those were the top 2 LAN based games.

BTW LAN = Local area network... you don't need web access (WAN = wide area network)

This is why it should exist a LAN Offline mode.
And why torchlight 2 will played on LAN Offline mode and Path of exile will loose reputation for its online only DRM/Anti-Hack.
Just like Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 has lost reputation for its Online only DRM/Anti-Hack.
Last edited by Planetsurvival on May 27, 2012, 4:01:27 AM
I would easily repay the 50 ive already spent to be able to play this when my net is being shitty, or when I don't have net. I think not having an offline version is pretty terrible in every way, and while I understand security issues/etc, id rather deal with people hacking than not be able to play offline, to be totally honest. Though I don't care about PvP at all.
"

This is why it should exist a LAN Offline mode.
And why torchlight 2 will played on LAN Offline mode and Path of exile will loose reputation for its online only DRM/Anti-Hack.
Just like Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 has lost reputation for its Online only DRM/Anti-Hack.

the reason they lost reputation was because they are geared to be single player games...
POE as much as people seem to hate it being called a MMO is geared to be a MMO.
and while you wont be able to edit the stats of an item freely in POE you can buy things to make you look different and also the pay for your own league rule set.
im not sure what rule sets you can pick from but if you can set higher rare drop rates.. faster leveling... and such things im sure that that will be good enough to make up for the fact you cant out right edit item stats.

its all how a game is geared... WOW dose well because while it is a RPG it is geared as a MMO... so no one has any problem with it being online only... if Bliz wants online only diablo and star craft they need to make a WoD and WoSC.
We can't solve problems we can't talk about...
"
KiaKun wrote:

the reason they lost reputation was because they are geared to be single player games...
POE as much as people seem to hate it being called a MMO is geared to be a MMO.
and while you wont be able to edit the stats of an item freely in POE you can buy things to make you look different and also the pay for your own league rule set.
im not sure what rule sets you can pick from but if you can set higher rare drop rates.. faster leveling... and such things im sure that that will be good enough to make up for the fact you cant out right edit item stats.

its all how a game is geared... WOW dose well because while it is a RPG it is geared as a MMO... so no one has any problem with it being online only... if Bliz wants online only diablo and star craft they need to make a WoD and WoSC.

I agree there, i think that what needs to be determined is a clear and direct approach by devs to say, "This is a MMOish game" or "This is a ARPG game".
And not fumble on the border between both.
And from what ive played it seems that Path of Exile cant decide if its an MMO or ARPG.
If its an MMO it doesnt need Offline LAN client, and if its an ARPG it does need an Offline LAN client.
In short, Path of Exile has identity/genre issues.

Anyway: as people seem to think that Online only DRM/Anti-Hack is the most effective way ill just link this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/62887114

If one could get items through Offline LAN editing when one plays on LAN or singleplayer, this thing would happen less.
My point is that limiting-to-online-only-DRM sometimes results in more issues for developers to deal with, as that gamefaqs thread shows, even though in this case its about Diablo 2 that did have single player/LAN offline modes.
Just imagine how such a phenomenon would impact RMAH in D3 and Path of Exile in their current Online only DRM state.
In which even JoeBob the singleplayer guy, has the *option* to buy gear from sites to more easily clear Hardcore mode for a measly sum of 30 dollars.
Also said gear that JoeBob bought for 30 dollars comes most likely from questionable activities to get said gear.
Last edited by Planetsurvival on May 27, 2012, 5:46:57 AM
I kinda think you're confusing things about MMO and ARPG. ARPG is a genre. MMO is a category. Just like Singleplayer and Multiplayer. POE is definitely ARPG. It just goes for multiplayer only.

Anyway, an offline option would be good, but not necessarily. That is, if servers and people's ISPs are stable enough. You are alone in most of maps, except towns where you see people. That's enough for me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info