An honest thread about the option for *Offline only, LAN client* and acceptable price for it.

This thread should be about showing GGG that some of us would pay money for a Offline only LAN client.

Characters would be separate from the online client and saved locally.

Main use would be *LAN/Offline Only characters* for people with limited/unreliable/little/no internet and that live near each other.

Please avoid posting things such as "But its a F2P game, offcourse its online only? Why is this thread even here?".
If you dont want an offline LAN client, then just dont post at all please.
This thread is to show that people would actually buy the offline LAN client and is my attempt to convince GGG devs that this is a way to make the game competetive with torchlight 2 and also get money needed to survive and remain F2P.
I wanted to make a Poll like the one about cash shop prices but sadly i coudnt so i did this instead.

However if you do want an offline LAN client, then post the price in dollars that you would find acceptable to buy the offline LAN client.

Ill start: 30$.
Last edited by tpapp157 on May 28, 2012, 9:31:29 PM
I don't want it, but I think it's not a bad idea. I'd say $20 is reasonable. It can be bought from the cash shop.

Then again, I think the problem is in encouraging people to play offline would discourage players from interacting. That means you won't see my awesome Kiwi, paid armor, rainbows shooting out of my ass, etc. that the cash shop got me, and you won't envy.

With no envy, you won't buy anything else. Single player wouldn't be as profitable because it's only you. You already feel special. No one else looks like you in single player. No one else has your build in single player, or uses the same particle effects as you, because you're totally alone.

They want you to play with others so you can keep each other envious, so you can keep each other buying cosmetic upgrades.
No thank you :)
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
"
I don't want it, but I think it's not a bad idea. I'd say $20 is reasonable. It can be bought from the cash shop.

Then again, I think the problem is in encouraging people to play offline would discourage players from interacting. That means you won't see my awesome Kiwi, paid armor, rainbows shooting out of my ass, etc. that the cash shop got me, and you won't envy.

With no envy, you won't buy anything else. Single player wouldn't be as profitable because it's only you. You already feel special. No one else looks like you in single player. No one else has your build in single player, or uses the same particle effects as you, because you're totally alone.

They want you to play with others so you can keep each other envious, so you can keep each other buying cosmetic upgrades.
GGG already has plans to offer paid leagues. A group of friends can purchase a league and never have to interact with anyone else ever again. The potential loss in revenue from cosmetic purchases is mitigated somewhat by the purchase of the paid league. The same would apply for purchasing a hypothetical offline mode.
"
FaceLicker wrote:
GGG already has plans to offer paid leagues. A group of friends can purchase a league and never have to interact with anyone else ever again. The potential loss in revenue from cosmetic purchases is mitigated somewhat by the purchase of the paid league. The same would apply for purchasing a hypothetical offline mode.

True, but Paid League players would still be connecting to GGG's servers, see announcements about times events, etc., so they would be much more likely to *also* play in public leagues than someone who actually paid for a separate client that doesn't connect to the servers at all.

That said, if it's technically not too difficult to implement (not sure how much of the game engine they'd have to rewrite to run everything locally instead of relying on the client-server architecture), and they feel it's a market they want to enter, I'd be all for it. Somewhere in the $20-30 range would be about right. They'd be competing much more directly with TL2 in this scenario, so they'd have to keep that in mind while pricing.

The possibility of mod support on an offline client could be pretty epic, though.
"
solistus wrote:

The possibility of mod support on an offline client could be pretty epic, though.

I am probably off base, but isn't much of the idea for paid leagues basically kinda-sorta a form of modding? Just one that you pay them to create for you...
When the game is complete I would think that 20 bucks would be MORE than fair for an offline version of this game. Could be downloaded from cash store, and maybe even steam and gog.com.

And hell, DVDs are cheap enough too, why not have a retail version? Lots of people (myself included) would buy it simply because of the similarities to D2, and you could put the words "online access NOT required" in big letters on the cover.
I don't have sig :D -- gracy123
At the mention of an offline client, I was about to say "lol piracy" but then realized the game will be free to play, so why bother doing it.

Not a bad idea, actually.
One of the major reasons offline play isn't supported is for security. Giving people access to an offline client allows them to see how the PoE servers function. Offline clients open the door to potential hacks and dupes that simply wouldn't be possible otherwise. Given GGG's goal of creating a long term viable and secure economy that supports fair pvp, offline clients are out of the question.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
offline clients are out of the question.

Fair enough. What do you think of the idea of getting featured on gog.com? I think it would greatly increase the game's visibility. Steam is doing great things for Realm of the Mad God. And I hate steam. lol

edit: Once open beta hits, of course.
I don't have sig :D -- gracy123
Last edited by Onionspam on May 26, 2012, 8:04:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info