[3.21] LIGHTNING TRAP ELEMANCER | LEAGUE START TO ENDGAME | ALL CONTENT

Current level 98 POB and current gear. Some of my current gear is different from the ones I linked below but there isn't any huge difference that could make or break the build.

https://pobb.in/M_PTjzyrCjyv

Actual dps is way higher than what POB shows, as we're playing a trap build and POB can't calculate divergent lightning trap's return damage, additional trap throwing modifiers like swift assembly, additional trigger from clever construction and arcane surge from cluster jewel. I didn't tick flasks, feel free to adjust the setup with custom modifiers for actual dps. The build also has more EHP than what POB shows, because POB can't calculate Chaos Golem and Primal Aegis properly.

3.21 Update
Arcane Sanctuary change made it a little bit difficult to be stun and ailment immune, but you can safely drop forbidden jewels to use rare jewels (or small clusters) and be immune to everything. Forbidden jewels aren't really necessary for the build. You can drop Heart of Oak and use Bloodnotch and Immutable Force if you don't care about stun immunity, it's a good replacement. Stormshroud is another option for ailment immunity.

We can now get Mark the Prey with our Thread of Hope, which is great for the build.

Grace reservation mastery is gone and makes it harder to run 4 50% auras. You can drop determination for skitterbots (very viable option with conductivity profane proxy, it's a huge damage boost if you grab whispers of doom), or use jewels with reservation mastery implicit if you want to keep determination and be tanky. A small cluster jewel with reservation efficiency is also a possibility.

Not a lot of things changed tbh and the build is still extremely powerful.

Uber Eater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jSd8Nc_Jo

Uber Sirus last phase (I've changed the gear and tree a bit to have chaos res against Sirus, the dps is roughly 25% less here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABnWQ8j0p74

Why Elementalist over Saboteur?
Spoiler

We're using Shaper of Storms for bigger shocks combined with notables like Breath of Lightning and Overshock, in addition to crit mastery that gives 50% shock effect.

We're also utilizing the golem pack with 5 golems, i.e. all golems except carrion, which provides us life regen, damage, physical damage reduction, crit chance and trap throwing speed, since we're converting cast speed into trap throwing speed with slavedriver's hand.

We also have Bastion of Elements, which provides a massive defensive layer for the build, as we have a lot of notables on the tree.

Lastly, we're using Mastermind of Discord for a free -25% res, which results in -35% resistance as awakened lightning penetration has built-in 10% exposure.

That's 5 ascendancy notables as you might have noticed, we grab one of them with forbidden jewels, doesn't really matter which one you buy though.

All things considered, it's more damage, way more tankiness, more life regen and more quality of life compared to saboteur, and saboteur trap builds are already a thing so I wanted to try something different. I've killed uber cortex with maven witness and uber eater at level 90 with worse gear, and killed uber uber elder at level 96. Also did a lot of maps with wrath of the cosmos with up to 7 altars without dying, so it's definitely viable for endgame. I haven't tried all ubers yet but I can comfortably kill uber eater, uber shaper, uber uber elder, uber cortex deathless with my current setup. Did simulacrum with one death at wave 28 and one death at wave 30 as well, but my gear was worse when I did it and I think it's very easy to do it deathless with some chaos res. The build can also solo 5 way, as I've done lots of solo 5 way with it and got enough rows to make some profit on top of the huge exp it gives.

After the saboteur nerfs, the difference is even more massive. There's just no reason to play saboteur for trap builds anymore.

Offense
Spoiler

-10% exposure combined with Mastermind of Discord, which is -35% resistance on everything including bosses. You can use any gem that provides lightning exposure until you get a woke lightning pen.

61% lightning penetration with awakened lightning penetration, Heart of Thunder and Watcher's Eye with the wrath mod for penetration.

Capped crit chance with 400%-600% crit multi depending on your gear and setup.

Wrath and Haste with some aura effect, combined with Flame Golem and Lightning Golem. Lightning golem provides about 45% trap throwing speed.

Sniper's Mark and Bear Trap are free damage on bosses.

We also use Frost Shield to cap our crit and have an additional layer of defense.

65% shock on everything, including uber bosses.

The build is pretty fast, as we're using Haste, Torrent's Reclamation and Quicksilver Flask with action speed implicit on boots. I've replaced the Quicksilver Flask with Amethyst on the latest version but feel free to use whatever you want. Normally caster/trap builds don't have a lot of attack speed and their shield charge is slow, but this isn't the case for us because we get an absurd amount of attack speed from frenzy charges, onslaught, torrent's reclamation, haste and lightning golem.

Defense
Spoiler

100% spell suppression from gear and Inveterate. You can also take Instinct with the suppression mastery if you don't have a lot of spell suppression on your gear, as we travel by there anyway.

Decent armour and evasion with Grace and Determination with some aura effect, since we use Charisma, Influence and Sovereignty with eldritch implicit on body armour.

Endurance charges from Slavedriver's Hand and physical damage reduction from Chaos Golem. My Chaos Golem gives me 22% PDR on my current setup, which is huge.

About 600 life regen from Stone Golem.

Ghost Dance with a decent ES pool and Lethe Shade. Since we're already immune to elemental ailments, its downside doesn't affect the build much.

Immune to stun and elemental ailments. Both are easy to get, because we get 53% stun avoidance and 25% elemental ailment avoidance from the tree.

Blind from Disorienting Display.

Frost Shield, CWDT+Anomalous Molten Shell and Vaal Molten Shell

In addition, even without meat shield or an abyss jewel, golems aggro a lot of stuff, allowing us to just throw trap from a distance in most fights with a boss arena, or delve azurite nodes, etc.

Some attack block from our shield.

Primal Aegis with about 3000 shield, because we have so many notables on the tree thanks to our 2 thread of hopes. Pretty much nothing can kill the build while both Primal Aegis and Molten Shell are up. Frost Shield also takes some damage and ES loss isn't really a problem since we have ghost dance anyway. With all three up, the build can facetank all uber bosses in the game. There's also a cool synergy between Primal Aegis and Molten Shell, when something damages elemental aegis, that damage can proc CWDT even though you're not taking any damage to your hp, so the combination also works against mixed hits as for example, a 50% physical and a 50% lightning spell hitting you will damage elemental aegis, which will then proc cwdt and anomalous molten shell to protect you from the following hits. I assume recoup mechanics also work with Primal Aegis, but I couldn't fit them into the build.

Immune to reflect with Bastion of Elements.

Gear and Links
Spoiler

Get a generic wand for lightning spells. Just get anything with +1/+2 and mods like spell damage, crit chance for spells, crit multi, lightning damage to spells, double damage, cast speed. I've killed ubers with the one on left, but later acquired a better one.

Links should be level 11 Anomalous Molten Shell- level 2 CWDT and Shield Charge.

Any shield with spell suppression and crit chance for spells will work. You can also use a more offensive shield and take Instinct on the tree to cap suppression.

Sockets are Grace, Bear Trap and any golem.

Spam reservation essences until you hit something usable. It's very easy to craft a better helmet with essences+eldritch currency.

Links are Enlighten, Determination, Haste and Wrath. Grace shouldn't be linked to Enlighten if you're using Grace reservation mastery to save mana.

Any chest with suppression and life will work, remember to get the avoidance prefixes and eldritch implicits. If you have stun/ailment avoidance from somewhere else, you can make a better chest with prefixes like % life or damage taken as element. Divergent Lightning Trap is very important, so try to get that one first for the build.

Links are Divergent Lightning Trap, Awakened Lightning Penetration, Awakened Added Lightning Damage, Swift Assembly, Trap and Mine Damage and Increased Critical Damage. Awakened Lightning Penetration is very important since it's our only source of exposure, which is amplified by Mastermind of Discord.

This is the key unique for the build, as pretty much all of our trap throwing speed comes from Slavedriver's Hand, so the build won't work without the gloves. They should be available fairly early in leagues where trap builds aren't meta, but you can use a typical self cast arc/divine arc setup or use charged traps support until you find one of these. If you want to get one of these in a league start scenario or if you're playing SSF, you can take the Alva passives on the atlas tree and aim for level 3 trap room. Architect's Hand works until you can get this.

Links are Lifetap, Divergent Frost Shield (the item above has normal one, I'm leveling Divergent ones currently to vaal), Flame Dash and Sniper's Mark.

A generic boots with spell suppression, movement speed and life. You can also use ailment avoidance essences but the craftable mod is enough to reach 100% ailment avoidance.

Sockets are for four golems.

This is a ring I've found on trade and it cost me a few divines, but it's not mandatory for the build, I've only bought it because I needed a lot of str and cast speed. Any ring with similar mods will do.

Typical life and resist ring, nothing special.

The other key unique for the build, it's not mandatory but it provides everything we need. Anomalous golem gems gain buff effect per quality and we need the reservation efficiency, so it's not really replaceable. It's also beneficial for divergent lightning trap, anomalous molten shell, anomalous wrath, divergent determination, sniper's mark, flame dash, shield charge... Pretty much everything in the build.

I've tested different belts such as Arn's Anguish, Magnate (Magnate is very good if you can reach 400 str), Hyperboreus with lucky crit and Immortal Flesh, and pretty much anything works in this slot. Personally I like it, but it's not mandatory. It's just speed and recovery rate. You can use a stygian vise with life/res and craft trap throwing speed on it, which is a suffix. You can also get another of the same belt with different implicits, like Wrath aura effect or all elemental resist if you need it. Mageblood is BiS, but I don't have one.

FAQ
Spoiler

- You're using two thread of hopes, can I play the build without them?

+ Yes, but the medium one in particular saves a lot of points and the tree would have to be redone.

- How do you get stun immunity?

+ We get 53% from tree, 25% from body armour prefix and 25% from a corrupted jewel.

- How do you get elemental ailment immunity?

+ 25% from tree, 25% from body armour and 50% from boots. Boots don't have to be rolled with avoidance essence, you can just craft 25% and get the remainder from eldritch implicits.

- How to fit 4 50% auras?

+ We have Ashes of the Stars with Sovereignty anoint, Charisma and Influence wheels. In addition, we have 20% (or 22% with 10% essence) reservation efficiency from our helmet with an enlighten 4. It wouldn't be possible to run 4 auras on a budget version, but you can replace any one of haste, grace or determination with something like skitterbots, defiance banner, aspect of the crab or vitality on a budget version. You can also take the grace reservation mastery. You can use Saqawal's Nest if you need reservation efficiency and run Aspect of the Avian, it works well for the build.

- Why no skitterbots?

+ Skitterbots don't really provide much when we're playing a shock build. 35% mana for 10% damage isn't worth it and I consider it to be one of the worst reservation skills for lightning based trap/mine builds. If you want to use it anyway, use it with a Conductivity Profane Proxy to disable the shock from it. You can use CI impossible escape for the additional curse.

- Why not Bottled Faith over Diamond flask?

+ We already have a huge amount of increased damage taken for enemies with Shock and Sniper's Mark, so a well rolled Diamond Flask gives more damage than Bottled Faith. You can use it if you don't have a lot of crit rate and want to use Assassin's Mark instead of Sniper's Mark.

- How do you summon 5 golems? We get +2 from ascendancies and +1 from Golem Commander.

+ Get an Anima Stone, preferably with a useful implicit like stun avoidance to reach 100% stun immunity. Update, this implicit can no longer appear on jewels, just get another useful one.

- Are low-life or Doryani's Prototype versions viable?

+ Yes, they're probably better even, I'm just too lazy to switch. Doryani's Prototype version wouldn't need Mastermind of Discord, so you can use Heart of Destruction forbiddens or just spend the points somewhere else. Also remember to drop the lightning penetration gem and use something else like Empower.

- Can I run three offensive auras instead of 2?

+ Definitely, but clearly the build would be way squishier. Zealotry, Skitterbots, Aspect of the Cat, Aspect of the Avian all work for the build. You can equip the Avian chest if you want to run it, read the part regarding reservation. Zealotry gives me about 31% more damage on my current setup, but I'm not using it because I don't want to drop any defensive aura or haste.

- Why not a ring with conductivity on hit?

+ It's doable, but it's not really worth spending four points to get Whispers of Doom only to be able to apply conductivity. You should only do it if you can afford a CI impossible escape. I didn't go for it because I wanted to take the reservation mastery and lightning mastery, but I might switch to that version if I find a good conductivity ring.

3.20 Update, this option is now better so I'll use a conductivity ring on 3.20. This will require a CI impossible escape, which will probably be very expensive on 3.20 due to curses becoming incredibly powerful vs bosses. It's doable without the jewel but will require too many passive points.

- How do you get arcane surge?

+ Arcane pyrotechnics from a middle cluster jewel or a megalomaniac. The build is socket starved so we don't really want to waste a socket for arcane surge.

- Does the build need any cluster jewel or timeless jewel?

+ I'm using one large cluster jewel with disorienting display, overshock and prismatic heart, and a lethal pride in Supreme Ego socket. Lethal Pride provides str for the build in addition to some chance to deal double damage. We don't need the keystones. The build isn't really reliant on those two but they help a big time. Overshock in particular is important as it has 40% shock effect.

- You have forbidden flame/flesh jewels, are they mandatory for the build?

+ Absolutely not, but it's a huge upgrade for the build. Just get the cheapest pair, shouldn't cost more than a few divs. Don't allocate Bastion of Elements until you get a forbidden pair. Update, after extensive testing, I've found that these are not really necessary UNLESS you want to make a bossing only build.

- Any map mods to avoid?

+ Cannot regen is a problem, but you can replace shield charge (or cwdt and cast MS manually) with level 1 lifetap and do it if you don't want to waste the map. You would have to be precise with your life flasks though. All other map mods are fine. I do not recommend going into pinnacle bosses and stuff like that when the invitation rolls "players cannot inflict exposure", as that nullifies our -35% exposure, but ubers are still doable with that mod if you have decent gear.

- Bandits and pantheon?

+ They're in POB, but I'm using Arakaali and Shakari, because it's not really possible to get chaos res on this build due to two thread of hopes and suffixes are occupied by modifiers like spell suppression, cast speed, ailment avoidance etc. You can get to positive chaos res with very well crafted gear but I haven't had a problem with chaos damage so far, despite having -56% chaos res, thanks to my pantheon. For bandits, kill all.

- Why only 10% exposure when there are better sources?

+ Because there's no way to fit any of those better sources into the build. It's socket starved, we have unique gloves, we don't have access to elemental mastery.

I guess you can use weapon swap for a stronger exposure with wave of conviction and maybe link culling strike to it since we don't have cull but I don't like weapon swap shenanigans so I'm not using it. Let me know if you find a way to apply stronger exposure.

- What would be further upgrades?

+ Mageblood, because it is by far the best item for the build, 1 passive voices, better chest, helmet, boots, lab enchants on glove/belt, spell crit/+1 frenzy corruption on slavedriver's hand, thread of hopes with corruption implicits, 28 quality on flasks.

- Can I use Sunblast?

+ Yes, but charge generation becomes a problem in that case, so you would have to use Farrul's Fur. Replace Swift Assembly with Empower 4. Keep in mind that it becomes very difficult to cap suppression without a rare chest.

Last edited by auspexa on May 9, 2023, 10:51:13 PM
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2023, 12:16:05 PM
-
Great build! Looking forward to testing it out.

Can you explain the Anima Stone? It doesn't look like you have 3 primordial items "socketed or equipped" to get your additional golem. Where are the primordial items coming from? Is it actually counting notables?
"
voxsama wrote:
Great build! Looking forward to testing it out.

Can you explain the Anima Stone? It doesn't look like you have 3 primordial items "socketed or equipped" to get your additional golem. Where are the primordial items coming from? Is it actually counting notables?

Hey, thank you.

I'm only using anima stone for the +1 to maximum number of golems modifier, you don't need any primordial items.

I could use 3 primordial items for another +1, but carrion golem doesn't provide anything so it's not worth it
Last edited by auspexa on Oct 25, 2022, 1:19:23 PM
Can you make a step-by-step pumping tree please?
"
Vilirika wrote:

Hey there. I see you're completely new to the game so I would suggest you to play a saboteur instead if you're interested in trap builds. This build relies on the Slavedriver's Hand (or Architect's Hand) unique gloves and doesn't work very well without it, because we're scaling cast speed with lightning golem and haste. In that regard it takes some knowledge of the game and trap builds in general to be able to league start with a build like this.

So if I league start with this, I'll probably use another skill like arc or crackling lance until I can get my hands on those gloves, but this shouldn't really be a problem because we're already far away from trap nodes and don't take them early. In that case, you can path to breath of lightning, heart of thunder and golem commander manually, then path towards nimbleness and melding, and after that high voltage, influence, arcane sanctuary, written in blood and doom cast, assassination and elemental focus, so we take everything that gives lightning damage, cast speed, life, crit etc. That should be about 85 points already with nothing related to traps so far, and that's less than what we get from acts. This is the tree I've made with the passives I mentioned. It's not perfectly optimized but should get the job done until maps with some 4L setup using Arc, Crackling Lance or any lightning skill. You can use arctic armour and wrath (or grace/determination if you don't want to die) while leveling.

https://pobb.in/FV6jeoZrMWkL

For ascendancies, take shaper of storms first, then go for the golem notables and finally mastermind of discord. Ice Golem is the last golem to add to the build with anima stone, so you'll use the other 4 (lightning, chaos, flame, stone) until you have an anima stone. Later on one of the ascendancy notables is added to the build with forbidden jewels so we also take primal aegis.
Last edited by auspexa on Oct 27, 2022, 5:55:11 PM
Hello, how do you allocate Shaper of Storms?
"
Waltzbear wrote:
Hello, how do you allocate Shaper of Storms?

Currently using Forbidden Flesh/Flame jewels for it, I bought that one because it was cheaper than other notables. It doesn't matter which ones you allocate and which one you buy as long as you have the 5 ascendancy notables you need.

If you can't afford any, just skip Bastion of Elements until you can afford them and take Shaper of Storms, Golem notables and Mastermind of Discord. The build isn't reliant on Bastion of Elements, I just wanted the extra tankiness and reflect immunity. It makes more sense in a build like this because we have a lot of notables with thread of hope jewels and cluster jewels, we get about 3000 shield from it while most builds get around 2200.
Last edited by auspexa on Oct 27, 2022, 10:41:35 PM
"
auspexa wrote:
"
Vilirika wrote:

Hey there. I see you're completely new to the game so I would suggest you to play a saboteur instead if you're interested in trap builds. This build relies on the Slavedriver's Hand (or Architect's Hand) unique gloves and doesn't work very well without it, because we're scaling cast speed with lightning golem and haste. In that regard it takes some knowledge of the game and trap builds in general to be able to league start with a build like this.

So if I league start with this, I'll probably use another skill like arc or crackling lance until I can get my hands on those gloves, but this shouldn't really be a problem because we're already far away from trap nodes and don't take them early. In that case, you can path to breath of lightning, heart of thunder and golem commander manually, then path towards nimbleness and melding, and after that high voltage, influence, arcane sanctuary, written in blood and doom cast, assassination and elemental focus, so we take everything that gives lightning damage, cast speed, life, crit etc. That should be about 85 points already with nothing related to traps so far, and that's less than what we get from acts. This is the tree I've made with the passives I mentioned. It's not perfectly optimized but should get the job done until maps with some 4L setup using Arc, Crackling Lance or any lightning skill. You can use arctic armour and wrath (or grace/determination if you don't want to die) while leveling.

For ascendancies, take shaper of storms first, then go for the golem notables and finally mastermind of discord. Ice Golem is the last golem to add to the build with anima stone, so you'll use the other 4 (lightning, chaos, flame, stone) until you have an anima stone. Later on one of the ascendancy notables is added to the build with forbidden jewels so we also take primal aegis.

Sorry but the link doesn't work
"
Vilirika wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:
"
Vilirika wrote:

Sorry but the link doesn't work

uh, I don't know why it died. I've made a new one with some modifications, it's a generic leveling tree for lightning skills like arc. add masteries as you see fit, it depends on what you'll use for leveling

https://pobb.in/vBL3Mk7tfdmT

it should be easy to transition into traps at around level 85 but I'd suggest you follow a different guide until you can afford the gloves and the thread of hope jewels. the build is weaker than most meta builds if you don't know exactly what you're doing. someone who has never played a trap build shouldn't league start with this

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info