Art, Areas, and Effects Feedback Forum

Hey, 2 things :

Ranger + Hunter hood = hair outside the back hood

Supporter back pack and quiver = Bad superposition

I know that there's clipping between the Silken Hood and Aureate Halo. I was wondering if such a clipping occurs between the Spirit Charm and Silken Hood. If anyone has both can I please see it? Or, better yet, can a GGG employee check please? :D
IGN: Caessa_Undying - 4 FPS Immersive Rain 4 Lyfe!

Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/822740
It seems as though you guys have finally toned down the bloom/contrast between bright/dark areas in bright jungle environments. It's much easier to focus on the gameplay now :)
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 6, 2014, 10:00:02 AM
The game needs more non-neon effects.

Could we please get an option / mtx to make the Duellist shirtless?

I hate this incredible ugly looking red. Looks so unsuitable on a lot of body armors!
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
nvm
@_inQontrol lvl 100 Ambush
gear, tree: http://poebuilder.com/#builds/inqontrol-inq001
or http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/797034
Last edited by ex_vitek on Apr 1, 2014, 7:44:00 AM
"
bbuns wrote:
The game needs more non-neon effects.

I want to discuss the topic of ART DIRECTION. I think this thread is a good place to start.

In another thread complaining about wings not fitting to the game world, I wrote the following:

"
074 wrote:
I think this thread raises a very good question, perhaps this even deserves a topic on it's own - art direction. What exactly defines the art direction of this game? What are the qualities that make this game indefinable, unique and attractive?

To me it has always been a good successor of D1 D2's aesthetics, a grim, dark world, mysterious, subtlety, filled with things invisible, metaphysical forces, things in the shadows. This adds to the realisticity and make it more believable, and is actually key to deliver the "scary", not just because of the dark, but because the suggested evils and mysterious forces can communicate and feed into the real-world view of the player. What if this invisible forces is real? Or what if this magic is actually coming from a real event? In short, the more subtle and invisible something is presented, it is more relatable to real life thus making it more immersive and engaging.

I would like to think the "town portal" should be something of a magical wonder to behold, not a "lolmagic blue circle thing". And that means basically, in my ideal art direction, most of the "visual effects" should be gone, and leaving only the "animation" behind. For example, the melee skill sweep shouldn't show a "sweeping light of sword travelling through air". This applies to other skills as well. You shouldn't have a "spiral thingy" when you are shooting fast arrows. Etc etc. Things like these should be delivered in animation only. They are nothing magical, and should stay that way.

For the elements, they shouldn't look "magical". Fire should look like fire, which is actually not that bright, and is very hot so it distorts the surrounding (hot air). Lightning is relatively well done in my opinion, or maybe it is just more true to real lightnings, but still they should be toned down a lot, and, lightning isn't a "plasma ball energy thingy", but should be more about a bright/loud flashing arc of bolts, and the invisible statics that creates sparks and flashes, not "blue ball things". Ice is more about frosty surfaces and transparent icy blocks, not "bright white things". Chaos should be invisible and "metaphysical", not "purple things".

I can probably make a whole entire database of these changes if I were to direct the art of this game. Because to be, PoE is about IMPROVING the subtlety and mysterious and metaphysical qualities of the "originals". The improvement is about the delivery of things you cannot see. "Brighter and more colorful" is in fact a corruption that plagues the current "consensus" of how games should look.

I thought PoE was championing the direction of the art of subtlety and dark mysterious forces when I was in Act I normal. I was delighted. But then act 2 came and so on and so fourth, all I see was more and more colours, brighter and brighter "magics". I am disappoint.

So please, whoever is directing the art, PLEASE change the course of your ship. I like this game, but I want to love this game more.

TLDR: The magic is invisible.

And on enforcing an artistic direction:

"
074 wrote:
No, I don't listen to podcasts. I don't even know there is a PoE podcast and what even it talks about.

If the issue is the difference of the game's art direction and the game's art direction executed, I think the problem actually lies in the execution part.

The game took off in one direction, things inconsistent to this established direction should be discarded. If it is something planned before closed beta, it means it is outdated material. I can't imagine being an "old concept art" amounts to any merit, in fact, in a creative process you should throw away more rubbish then stuff you actually want to use, and in this game, the entire bright-colourful-wonderful-magical-neon-show should be considered rubbish, because it completely destroys and contradicts the dark grim atmosphere (this word gets thrown around a lot I believe).

The problem is we have two distinct styles that don't mix at all. To be "atmospheric" you need to throw away the "cartoon".

This artistic SOUL is passed down from D1 and D2 and PoE succeeded it with some degree of success. In fact, GGG has done a very good job of recreating the dark gritty and mysterious and psychological and atmospheric aesthetic. To NOT KILL the soul, the art direction must be more forcefully controlled, so GGG please make use of your discipline and talent to really FOCUS on delivering the invisible magic, and eliminating the colourful "neon light representations of magic".

Magic is so much more than neon lights. In fact, magic shouldn't be visible.
And I will try to be helpful and actually suggest some options if GGG wants to make attractive microtransaction items.

World history: war happened everywhere in all eras. Tons of body armor types. Some cool some even cooler. These can be inspirations. (Cool Japanese warrior armors and their amazing helmets with horns etc.)

Mythological: different cultures have their own mythology. Vast resources to take inspirations from. (Things like the iron maiden hat is nice. The moving mesusa would be better if it's moving more slowly and less noticeable.)

Metaphysical and paranormal things: ceremonial rituals (daggers sticking to the chest), humans doing impossible things and going into impossible positions (a walking animation that makes the character walk in weird ways, or stand in weird ways), demon possessions (idle animations)

I mean I can keep giving ideas that are NOT BRIGHT NEON COLOUR WINGS. But in the end, GGG needs to ACT and make the decision of saying "okay we want to actually innovate and lead the grim dark ARPG genre because Blizzard just gave up their position as king in this genre.)
Could you guys maybe do a revamp on the color of certain gloves/boots? Specifically the clasped mitts, shackled boots, and all others that share the same look? Was really hoping that they would match the red prevalent in quite a few body armors (lordly plate, buckskin tunic, chainmail vest, ringmail coat, full ringmail, holy chainmail, padded jacket, scarlet raiment, waxed garb, and all others similar in appearance). To see the same red in the 2d art and then be given a pinky-purple color that doesn't really match any of the armor pieces was a bit of a let down when I got up to using them. Would really like to see the color better match the 2d art someone in the future.
Fire Ferrets

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info