Freeze Mine

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It does damage calculation with the listed base damage, which is affected by all relevant damage modifiers on you and the target, and then applies the freeze length that is calculated from the resulting damage.

Cold penetration gem not affecting it, is that intended? Mana cost doesn't change, no little letter appears on the skill icon.

Other than that, this skill is great. Poison Arrow/Viper strike, increased duration/temp chains/vulnerability, freeze mine+elemental proliferation. May try fire trap instead of poison arrow, but searing touch is a little expensive atm.
I'll see what can be done about penetration support
The freeze mine; why is this gem level 10, but the only time you can obtain it via quests is at the start of Act 3 with the Ranger? Why not remove the 15 tons of Whirling Blade Gems from the quest reward list (it's really 3, one in "Breaking Some Eggs", the second is "Caged Brute", and the third is in the 2nd act, "Intruders in Black"), or atleast remove one of these WB gems and replace it with a more sensible gem, like Freeze Mine, please.
You will never see a man faking anger, passion and relentless behavior.

You will always see a man faking love, politeness and respectful behavior.
Looking forward to the cold penetration support. Will added cold damage ever be flagged? Combined with breath of rime the increased chill duration would make this a really useful skill. Concentrated effect would also be useful for single target disabling.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Elemental proliferation. As long as you have a white mob nearby, permafreeze anything you want.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Incompetent wrote:
I don't really understand why this skill was designed the way it is. Why not just give it some cold damage with low effectiveness, plus 100% chance to freeze and a greatly increased freeze duration? Then it would interact in the normal way with passives and supports, instead of being a funny exception. I don't think it would be especially OP as a result.
It's not an exception. It works normally with passives, it just doesn't deal any damage. It does damage calculation with the listed base damage, which is affected by all relevant damage modifiers on you and the target, and then applies the freeze length that is calculated from the resulting damage. It just skips actually dealing the damage to the monster.

All modifiers to freeze duration will also apply as normal, as the freeze calculation is the same one done for damage.

Still a bit confused here Mark. Are you saying that damage increases on the passive tree (+%cold damage etc.) ought to increase the freeze duration? I just tested it a bit, duration seems the same with and without damage increases, at least from gear.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
"
lukeiy wrote:
Still a bit confused here Mark. Are you saying that damage increases on the passive tree (+%cold damage etc.) ought to increase the freeze duration? I just tested it a bit, duration seems the same with and without damage increases, at least from gear.
They do increase it, by increasing the damage that the freeze is calculated from. You can see the damage total in the skill popup
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Sep 30, 2013, 7:21:21 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
lukeiy wrote:
They do increase it, by increasing the damage that the freeze is calculated from. You can see the damage total in the skill popup

Just tested again with

alternating low life on and off, the damage in the popup stays the same. Are damage increases on gear included or is it just passive tree increases?
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Sep 30, 2013, 1:39:48 AM
The gem description explicitly lists Base Cold Damage, ie. without any modifiers. :)
I don't know what the skillbar tooltip nor the Char sheet would read. Never used it. Do they say "base" as well?
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 30, 2013, 6:41:43 AM
Whoops, I was wrong. as Vipermagi points out, the gem (and skill) currently show the base cold damage, not factoring in any increases, as there are technical issues with showing the final "damage". However, all applicable increases do apply when damage on the hit is actually calculated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info