Bear Trap

Oh, also do critical nodes work with it?
My old build was based around this skill. Even though I specced into the new nodes, this nerf was way too much. I've lost 3-4k damage even though I've taken 70% trap damage on the tree.
Why was this nerfed into the ground? It was fine after the trap patch.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
I used to use this as a ranged attack for my DW ranger, handy for picking off resurrectors or holding fast mobs in place so I can beat on them. Now, I've replaced it with LS or ST. I can't afford the skill points to buff it up, and it's useless without them. Doubly so, since the root duration is based on damage done, the nerf just murders this skill for any build that doesn't spec completely around it.

Since the old damage would admittedly be OP with the new nodes, make the root a fixed duration so it's still useful as a utility.
Last edited by Rhyse on Nov 2, 2013, 6:01:58 PM
Please increase the damage of this gem again. A 40% damage nerf was just obscene for the release patch, even with more ability to scale this gem. That requires 67% increased damage to even break even with the old bear trap gem. Given the fact that this gem is gated by 1 cast per three seconds (basically cutting it's overall damage by 1/3) and is only single target, the damage just feels a somewhat too low now.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Nov 3, 2013, 12:16:20 PM
"
Rhyse wrote:
I used to use this as a ranged attack for my DW ranger, handy for picking off resurrectors or holding fast mobs in place so I can beat on them. Now, I've replaced it with LS or ST. I can't afford the skill points to buff it up, and it's useless without them. Doubly so, since the root duration is based on damage done, the nerf just murders this skill for any build that doesn't spec completely around it.

Since the old damage would admittedly be OP with the new nodes, make the root a fixed duration so it's still useful as a utility.

I agree with you, I used bear trap in the past with my ranger mostly for the CC effect, the big dmg was a plus.
I think is nice to see that trapper builds got more attention and more passives, but I think we need to keep some traps usefull for non-trap builds, at least their secondary/CC effect.

Imo, bear trap was better as a BIG hitter on a BIG cooldown (it was 8 sec). That way trappers could still mix it with other traps and bear trap would remain an interesting option for non-trap builds. Non-trap builds can't afford the time/mana for laying many bear traps.
Last edited by jna on Nov 13, 2013, 12:32:18 PM
What happened... Damage is so mediocre now, how are trap builds supposed to reach the high damage numbers for killing bosses in endgame? It wasn't OP before and its just bad now. For a single target skill anyway.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Nov 21, 2013, 4:18:33 AM
"
Avelice wrote:
Please increase the damage of this gem again. A 40% damage nerf was just obscene for the release patch, even with more ability to scale this gem. That requires 67% increased damage to even break even with the old bear trap gem. Given the fact that this gem is gated by 1 cast per three seconds (basically cutting it's overall damage by 1/3) and is only single target, the damage just feels a somewhat too low now.
3 Traps instantly followed by 1 per 3 seconds.

Bear Trap is a spike damage effect, it does that quite well. It's still one of the most damaging spells in the game.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
This has been nerfed into oblivion. I don't know why they don't do incremental nerfs but rather just take a dump on skills in one patch. Another example of this besides Bear Trap is Shockwave Totem. When that was nerfed it was completely annihilated.
@wawamelons
#1 Hillock farmer NA
Last edited by WAWAMELONS on Nov 22, 2013, 1:36:09 AM
Meanwhile, Bear Trap is still crazy good in PvP and considered 'cheap' by many people.

You're going to have to make skills work different in PvP and PvE GGG. There's no way around it unless you just throw one of them under the bus. Bear Trap is a nice place to start implementing that.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Nov 28, 2013, 7:59:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info