Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

Meh, people play minecraft and ruenscape. What's the difference.
reading this while my POE (Steam) installation crashed so hard it forgot that POE was actually installed, and I have to install POE again.
There needs to be a way to turn this off, or reset it to before 3.13 performance. I am beyond disappointed every time I turn the game on now. What's the point in supporting the game by buying MTX if everything just looks like blurry blobs until the game inevitably crashes?

Also I could care less about PoE2. I play PoE. I've invested a great deal of time and money into playing, loving and enjoying PoE. This game shouldn't become the testing grounds for PoE2 at the sacrifice of the playability of PoE. GGG I love you guys, fix this.
I’m not familiar with the technical details of all these. But performance is really bad this league. Stutters are worse and crashes are more frequent. Really hope these can be fixed ASAP so that we can enjoy this fantastic expansion better.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
Chris & Devs,

While I understand the importance of texture streaming for the long term improvement of the game, your players are actively suffering *now*. I WANT texture streaming in the game, but it's implementation at the moment is poor for a lot of users. It needs to be optional, or temporarily disabled, or improved significantly in very short order.

I basically can't juice my maps at all without crashing and having textures and sprites de-load or become invisible in the mess of enemies. My frame rate drops just by opening the passive tree or my atlas. It doesn't matter that I can move my character earlier, because I can't even see the items in my inventory clearly enough to know what they are for the first 5 seconds out of every map.

I don't want you to stop developing texture streaming. I don't think it's bad tech. It's just not ready for main line distribution yet.

Please, let those of us having serious issues with it revert to the older style of texture loading.
Can I somehow turn on the blurry textures and play with the all the time? It's 15 seconds of 144 fps bliss every time I enter a new zone. Then the fps lag starts and my fps keeps jumping from 10 to 144. I wish I could use these blurry textures all the time.
"
Dreggon wrote:
Is it possible to show the wireframes of stuff that's being loaded instead of a blurry texture, or am I talking out of my ass?

While you could technically change the fill mode in the rasteriser to draw things with wireframe instead of solidly, there's a whole bunch of drawbacks to consider.

Things previously opaque are now mostly see-through. This means that anything behind that could have been culled away will show through, rendering any occlusion culling useless.

The lack of shown geometry would affect screen-space techniques that expect useful data in the framebuffer. Projected shadows would still work, but screen-space ones would probably not.

You'd still need the low-res proxy textures to shade and light the wireframe, otherwise it'd be either black or vertex-coloured at best, assuming that there's vertex colours in use at all.

The kind of wireframe you'd get from the API without explicitly embarking on drawing neat lines would be harsh one-pixel wide as well, as APIs support line widths and smoothing less and less as they go modern.

It's a fun idea to muse about (see my post :D), but as with everything graphics and games, lots of things to consider when actually implementing it.
If the textures are loaded and then I open my atlas, why does the whole world re-render with the blurry textures again? The full resolution textures were loaded before opening the atlas menu. Would that imply a full screen interface unloads all textures from memory? This happens every single time I've been in Al-hezmin's arena. I'm playing with 32gb of ram, an RTX 3080, and a SATA SSD.
May all your rings be unique
Last edited by Orcasauce on Jan 27, 2021, 10:45:17 PM
The absolutely best thing about the way the texture system has evolved lately?

There's now no need to guess if something is compressed, and file redirection is now completely contained in the header file.
"
There needs to be a way to turn this off, or reset it to before 3.13 performance. I am beyond disappointed every time I turn the game on now. What's the point in supporting the game by buying MTX if everything just looks like blurry blobs until the game inevitably crashes?

Also I could care less about PoE2. I play PoE. I've invested a great deal of time and money into playing, loving and enjoying PoE. This game shouldn't become the testing grounds for PoE2 at the sacrifice of the playability of PoE. GGG I love you guys, fix this.

Pretty much this.

Whats the point of playing a game that keeps turning WORSE each patch? all the bad performance start on betrayal, but at least the fps was stable most of time. Now the game keeps getting a full potato FPS...

Also, GGG keep ignoring the memory leak issue. If i run 3~4 red maps with some juice, the game nowdays just crash or become unplayable. With the today's patch, the game just crashes half of times the fps drops to 0 (btw, my pc NEVER dropped to 0 fps so constantly like in 3.13).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info