Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

"
7H3V01D wrote:
Are the low res textures compressed? this will be impacting load in times, they need to be uncompressed.

The proxy textures are stored in bundles and as such are compressed (possibly store-only) en masse in larger blocks.

Those particular bundles are like a hundred megs all-together, and the decompression algorithm has been shown to run at like 700 megs per second back on Ivy Bridge processors.
I hate to be that guy but do you guys even remotely test your new features before pumping them out to the masses?

This "new texture streaming" has literally made the game leagues worse than just last league. Like not only does stuff look like complete shite when you load in even on a solid state drive but by the gods does it act like your computer is going to die. Literally thought I was crashing loading into my hideout because of how much it was stuttering (despite you saying this was supposed to stop that)

You guys really need to stop half-assing these core technical changes without extensive testing because I've already had friends that were interested in playing again quit just because of the issues the texture streaming brought to the game. When you go to deploy this stuff just like with vulcan you NEED to let it be optional so that when surprise surprise the feature is garbage and not working right the people most effected can turn it off and continue playing and you can have a few guinea pigs test out your new feature until it's not going to cause huge issues for the mass of players (which is really sad considering you said it was made to make things better for players but I'm gonna guess like 90%+ have had a worse overall time with the change)

Just really disappointed overall
Last edited by IonDrako on Jan 28, 2021, 6:19:10 PM
-
Last edited by Blubbey on Apr 12, 2021, 6:56:56 PM
This is a poor bit of communication.
Better than not saying anything at all, but that's really a low bar.

Personally, I don't need to hear that this is a short-term inconvenience for the sake of whenever-it-might-be-released PoE2. Not when you are silent on:

1. Why do you release content that well-specced machines cannot handle?

2. Why was this released despite issues that should have been as obvious as a thumping sore thumb? What happened to testing??

Seeing the wonderful "texture streaming" at work on my first visit to the crowded Vegas club called The Rogue Harbour was a real pause and SMH moment.

Disappointing announcement that reads more like damage-control spin and dodges important, super-obvious questions.

Really disappointing that this issue had to be part of 3.13.
Still, how its possible with 6600k 4,5 GHz and NVME drive (950 PRO), to stall for, like 5 seconds, before anything is visible, and another 5-10 before everything is loaded fully?

I get your post, appreciate, but cannot understand still. I play more advanced graphically games, and those do not have issues like this...
Thank you for the explanation - I thought my brand new RTX3070 was malfunctioning or something.

There are a few places in the game where this streaming doesn't make sense to me. Certain stash tabs (currency, essences, cards, etc) - you know what all the icons look like; they are fixed. Why can't these be local assets you call from local storage? Why do you have to send these every time? Another - the waypoint map system. Again, these are fixed images. Why can't they be local assets? Why must these things stream this way?

"
Aular wrote:
Thank you for the explanation - I thought my brand new RTX3070 was malfunctioning or something.

There are a few places in the game where this streaming doesn't make sense to me. Certain stash tabs (currency, essences, cards, etc) - you know what all the icons look like; they are fixed. Why can't these be local assets you call from local storage? Why do you have to send these every time? Another - the waypoint map system. Again, these are fixed images. Why can't they be local assets? Why must these things stream this way?

I'm afraid that you may unfortunately have misunderstood "streaming" in this context.
There is no network connection involved, it's all from disk.

It's "streaming" in that it's loading incrementally, instead of all up-front in a loading screen.
Just the thing is I have never had any bigger problem with PoE until 3.13 (and I've played a few leagues and even at the very beginning when desyncs ruled).

Stutter is incredible sometimes. Some maps stutter all the time for no reason even with things at the edge of the screen already loaded. Sometimes I can't even see shader loaded - my skills show no animation/effect whatsoever - and this is not only at the preload phase - all the time...

You probably have a long adventure with fixing that ahead of You. Consider allowing us to disable the texture streaming..
to be blunt.. the shit isn't working and is causing more problems than it fixes.. so.. EITHER turn it temporarily off until you can get the trash working OR give us an option to turn it off because for me.. its damn near unplayable now.. I just see a sea of porridge and can't tell anything from anything else
generally dangerous
its used to be okay before this texture streaming,now its just worst,I don't know how about other people but at least for me it just getting worst

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info