Path of Building for Mac! 3.24-ready

Hi everyone!

I've been enjoying POE on Mac, but found it annoying that Path of Building didn't work on Mac.

Well, I found a version that works, and updated it to the latest!

Side note: Looking for Awakened POE Trade? Try out my Awakened POE Trade for Mac!

Download

Download link

Just download the .zip, open it up, and copy it to your Applications.

Common issues and how to fix them

• Some Macs may say "Content is damaged" when opening. Running `sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/PathOfBuilding.app` may fix this. The first time you're opening the app, you may want to right click and click "Open" instead of directly left-clicking the app too.
  • App fails to open: If that happens, please follow the steps in Troubleshooting and post the errors you're seeing in the thread. I can take a look, but can make no guarantees on how fast I can fix it

Updating Path of Building data from source

If I've released a new version above, you can just download it from the link. If I haven't (usually because I've quit the league or am traveling) and you're at least vaguely familiar with git, follow these directions:

"

cd ~/Downloads
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hsource/pobfrontend/master/editPathOfBuildingBuild.sh > editPathOfBuildingBuild.sh

# Get a fresh checkout of the latest version
git clone https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding.git
cd PathOfBuilding
git add . && git reset --hard HEAD && git pull
# Make a few modifications
bash ../editPathOfBuildingBuild.sh

# Copy into the app
cp -rf * /Applications/PathOfBuilding.app/Contents/MacOS

Rebuilding on your system

If for some reason, Path of Building doesn't run properly on your system (your MacOS is too old or my build doesn't work)

"
# This assumes you've installed the app PathOfBuilding to /Applications
# Before starting, make sure you've installed:
# Homebrew (`brew`)
# XCode from the App Store (this can take up to an hour)

# On M1 Macs, you need to make sure to have an x86-64 (Intel)
# version of Homebrew installed and active per the instructions
# from https://github.com/hsource/pobfrontend#steps-to-build-an-x86_64-binary-on-m1-macs

cd ~/Downloads
git clone https://github.com/hsource/pobfrontend.git
cd pobfrontend
make tools
export PATH="/usr/local/opt/qt@5/bin:$PATH"
make
# Optionally, run `make sign` to sign the app. This is
# required on M1 Macs running in strict security mode.
# You may need to do some setup: Google "sign Mac OS app"
rm -rf /Applications/PathOfBuilding.app
cp PathOfBuilding.app /Applications

After restarting the app, you should see the latest version!

Thanks to bernhardfritz, aspel, ManWithBear, and philroberts for building the cross-platform version of POB!

Troubleshooting and debugging

I test all versions I release on my own system (as of 2023-12-06, this is a Macbook Pro M1 on Sonoma), so if they're not working, there's usually some difference between our systems.

Reporting errors: To report an error, please at least include some error messages:

1. Run the app in the terminal by running `cd /Applications/PathOfBuilding.app/Contents/MacOS` and `./PathOfBuilding`

To debug the error more yourself (If you are a programmer at all, this should be doable! I know very little C++ and almost no Lua, but I was able to do this)

2. Add `print("Blah")` throughout the Lua scripts in Contents/MacOS to print debugging information - the entry point is in Launch.lua
3. If that doesn't give you enough information, checkout my repository and build the app using the instructions in README.md. Add `printf("...");` statements to the main.cpp file for debugging, and then re-run make to build the app again. In particular, adding logging to `l_LoadModule` calls can help identify the bad module and narrow it down more

Alternatively, you can build the app yourself by following ny of the instructions above.
Last edited by arciinus on Mar 25, 2024, 3:26:55 AM
Last bumped on Apr 12, 2024, 11:26:10 PM
As a console player that only has a mac laptop for work, so happy to see this. Great job! Been looking for something like this for ages.
Doesn't work with my 10.14 Mojave OSX as it's created for 10.15 :( Any ideas on workarounds?
"
FarazonC wrote:
Doesn't work with my 10.14 Mojave OSX as it's created for 10.15 :( Any ideas on workarounds?

If you're willing to dabble with shell and command line tools, it may be possible for you to build it for Mojave yourself. Let me clean up the instructions to build it on Github and you can try them.

What errors do you run into? Or is there just a cross over the icon itself?
Error I get on 10.14 is this:
The app launches, but the window only shows this text

Trying to update using the instructions above, will update what happens

Edit: After updating, the package in this site still doesn't work, but an app that I downloaded from
https://github.com/aspel/pobfrontend/releases
did work. The app in question did not have the pob up to date but the steps above worked on it.
Last edited by Moncho on Jan 15, 2021, 4:12:59 PM
Have been waiting for this for a looong time.
Awesome dude and works perfect on my mac!!
Many Thanks.
Just a note, I updated the version to the have the latest PathOfBuilding since the old version didn't include some of the new item types with both positive/negative implicits.

I swapped in the older binary, so the new version may work on 10.14, but I don't have one to test on, so can't really verify.
Hi, I just downloaded this on my mac laptop (2015, running 10.15) and it worked fine for a few minutes, I was able to import a build from Pastebin and move some stuff around before it crashed. Now when I open it again it crashes right as I click "import". Any ideas?

Ty for doing this, this is a massive help for those of us stuck on our macs lol!

Edit: looks like I'm still on the last version before the update. I've never used git in my life so I have no idea how to update it, anybody willing to walk me through it?

Edit number 2: Turns out I'm dumb, I still had the OLD version of the PoB fork installed, I just deleted everything PoB related and reinstalled and it's updated! Hooray
Last edited by anarcho_catgirl on Jan 23, 2021, 4:54:37 PM
Thanks so much for creating this post.

Also a side tip for people:
I copied the update instructions from the post into the notes section of an empty PoB build named "Update Instructions". This allows me to keep the instructions handy when I want to update the application in future. I wont have to look for this post again at that time. Cheers :)
Thank you very much!
Works like charm!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info