[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

Evilmindcz - i like the block based build you have with the skellies, and being new to this build wanted to know if there was any early map gear you'd recommend, no where near being able to get stuff similar to your current gear, so didn't know if you had any good recommendations until i get a bit more currency for upgrades.

Thanks, and love your build and its tankiness so far.
"
Zythixx wrote:
Evilmindcz - i like the block based build you have with the skellies, and being new to this build wanted to know if there was any early map gear you'd recommend, no where near being able to get stuff similar to your current gear, so didn't know if you had any good recommendations until i get a bit more currency for upgrades.

Thanks, and love your build and its tankiness so far.

Actually, tankiness is cheap. You get 75/75 just from tree, which is free, tempest shield, free aswell, enchant for bone offereing thats really cheap unless its on some endgame elder bone helmen 86+. Even the additional block chance from watchers eye is cheap, if you dont want multiple determination/zealotry rolls (40-50c currently). And thats it.

If you open my character on poe.ninja, and use their time machine feature, you can see my equip at week 1 if the league, when i had pretty much nothing of these expensive things, and i was already farming T19 maps for bases.
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/evilmindcz/Skellygeddon?time-machine=week-1
Point is, you dont really need anything expensive, its just luxury/QoL for endgame. And regular red maps are not endgame now, so you can just do it with eqiup like this.
Awesome, thanks and didn't know about the poe.ninja time machine feature, that's pretty cool.
I am not supporting this build any more.

Instead, I am focused on a new minion build for newbies that uses Absolution and Spectres (slave drivers) for dps.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3223145

Check it out.
"

Instead, I am focused on a new minion build for newbies that uses Absolution and Spectres (slave drivers) for dps.

That's a shame because this build is frickin amazing.

How is the new build panning out? Does it feel noticeably superior?
"
bbqbot wrote:
"

It's not as much dps.
It's significantly more newbie friendly, and that is my focus now, making minion builds for newbies, as this game has gotten crazy complex for first time players.

I still think my new build will be a GREAT league starter for experienced players, but experienced players will want to transition to some other minion build, while the skel mages could be brought up to insane levels with enough investment.

In fact, even if one wanted to go skel mages, start with my new build (Slave Drivers and Absolution) then transition to skel mages in red maps, I think the new one is a better league start, smoother, easier with no gear.
Last edited by Odif on Dec 21, 2021, 5:59:05 PM
"
Odif wrote:
"
bbqbot wrote:
"

It's not as much dps.
It's significantly more newbie friendly, and that is my focus now, making minion builds for newbies, as this game has gotten crazy complex for first time players.

I still think my new build will be a GREAT league starter for experienced players, but experienced players will want to transition to some other minion build, while the skel mages could be brought up to insane levels with enough investment.

In fact, even if one wanted to go skel mages, start with my new build (Slave Drivers and Absolution) then transition to skel mages in red maps, I think the new one is a better league start, smoother, easier with no gear.

Thanks odif for that great build it is also these days. Thank you evilmindcz, which i supped on twitch for his perfect work after odif was gone. I hope this forum here will stay and we as community can continue this.

Stay tuned guys. Happy New year

GOOD NEWS
I have decided to update this build.
It will be updated in the next week for 3.16.
It will be updated for 3.17 when the patch notes come out!

I am currently playtesting it, simulating league start.

The build will be significantly changed, as there has been much that has changed since 3.14.

It looks like I am going crit on the skel mages, with host chieftains and carnage chieftain spectres to support them.

And a Fleshcrafter chest to deal with the loss of the old elemental equilibrium.
"
Odif wrote:
GOOD NEWS
I have decided to update this build.
It will be updated in the next week for 3.16.
It will be updated for 3.17 when the patch notes come out!

I am currently playtesting it, simulating league start.

The build will be significantly changed, as there has been much that has changed since 3.14.

It looks like I am going crit on the skel mages, with host chieftains and carnage chieftain spectres to support them.

And a Fleshcrafter chest to deal with the loss of the old elemental equilibrium.

Yay. This year starts with good news. Thanks odif

"
Karmoth666 wrote:

Yay. This year starts with good news. Thanks odif

Slow going, it's taking me a long time, in part due to having to play test it twice, once WITHOUT dead reckoning, once with.

And I wasted a play test, I thought it would be good to level with Absolution if one did not have dead reckoning....it turns out its not significanly better than melee skels, so that was many wasted hours.

Anyway, my goal is to have it up by Jan 15, weeks before 3.17.

P.S.
You can see the progression of the build here.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3226824/

note:
Lots of stuff is not right, as I copy and paste from previous builds, then alter as I play test, so go easy on the feedback.
Last edited by Odif on Jan 8, 2022, 4:59:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info